New ticking noise after oil change

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
So it seems as one noise is under the microscope, a new one shows it's face.

I had 4400 miles on this Castrol Syntec and there was no light tapping noise, I was using a PF61E and changed oil and filter to the same setup. Upon startup, I started hearing this light tapping noise and I want to say it's a lash adjuster just starting to have excess clearance but I also want to suspect a timing chain. I did have the valve cover off about 6K miles ago and everything seems tight.

This video is the next evening (tonight) but after I switched over to the Fram Ultra oil filter with the synthetic media. This filter has made an audible difference in this motor to the good even after just 60 miles but I will give it a few more days. The tapping isn't as audible with the Fram but it's still there.

Has anyone heard this and was it a chain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXlpD8PKHU&feature=youtu.be

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Nothing to do with the chain.

That sound is from my experience coming from a valve, could be that a hydraulic lifter has trouble adjusting correctly with the new oil or some grit in the oilchannel. May also be sot deposits at the valve-stem or valve seat.
But this sounds is definitely made by a valve, why? is the big question.

Personally I wouldn't ever never in a million years use a Fram oilfilter,but that's me.

I get the same noise in my truck now an then,right at startup in the morning. I can often make it go away if I immediately turn the engine off and restart it again.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Harpo said:
Nothing to do with the chain.

Personally I wouldn't ever never in a million years use a Fram oilfilter,but that's me.
That's what i was thinking also but wanted to be sure.

I also feel the same about Frams but apparently the Ultras are really great filters.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
gmcman said:
That's what i was thinking also but wanted to be sure.

I also feel the same about Frams but apparently the Ultras are really great filters.
I would only use wix or napa filters which are made by wix, or purolator. IMO these are the only filters that work well all the way thru an oil cycle. Most of the others lose oil pressure after only a few hundred miles! Personal experience.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
since 2005 I used K&N Oil Filters, earlier this year switched to Mobil 1 oil filter... I have always used Mobil 1 Synthetic.... last year oil light came on, was low 3qts, no damage came from it, no obvious noises... apparently engine burns oil now, have to add 1qt every 500 miles..I'm at 199,400 miles... pay a little more and go with a Mobil 1 oil filter...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
KNBlazer said:
since 2005 I used K&N Oil Filters, earlier this year switched to Mobil 1 oil filter... I have always used Mobil 1 Synthetic.... last year oil light came on, was low 3qts, no damage came from it, no obvious noises... apparently engine burns oil now, have to add 1qt every 500 miles..I'm at 199,400 miles... pay a little more and go with a Mobil 1 oil filter...
1 qt every 500? :eek:

That's major. If it isn't leaking it anywhere that has got to be making for smokey exhaust.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Sparky said:
1 qt every 500? :eek:

That's major. If it isn't leaking it anywhere that has got to be making for smokey exhaust.
To my surprise, only under acceleration, such as merging onto highway speeds...no leaks... it passed california emissions....

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I had a total bearing meltdown on a Saab turbo engine some 20 years ago. Breakdown was admitted by Frams importer in Sweden,but they refused to even contribute to the rebuild of the engine. That was a time I wish we have way to make a lawsuit without the risk of ending up with a gigantic bill for everything if I loose the case.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
These new Fram Ultras are a completely different animal. The Purolator Pure One has had numerous issues recently with the media tearing so even though I have used them many times, I won't until they fix that issue.

Also to be clear, the noise started with the AC filter, I only switched filters the next day since the Ultra reportedly flows more than the AC and I'm looking at what maybe could be a slight oil starvation issue

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Hypnotoad said:
Yeah that's pretty crazy.

I'm not a fan either, haven't used one in over 20 years. I would go to another store of there was only a Fram that would work where I was at. Only reason for this one was for an experiment since I heard good things about the Ultra.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest