New Steering Rack Leaking from Adjustment Nut

coh998

Original poster
Mar 24, 2022
Edmonton, KY
I installed a brand new TRQ Rack & Pinion Assembly TRQ PSA84960 (they say it's "new", but I'm assuming it's remanufactured) in an '03 TrailBlazer LT.

After flushing the entire system with new fluid and topping it off, I came back the following day to find fluid on the floor under the Preload Adjustment Nut. I did not adjust anything before installation; I just assumed it was properly set.

After discovering the leak, I cranked down on the locknut but did not touch the adjustment hex. It's still leaking. I did check all the hose connection points above that area and they're all perfectly dry, so it's not leaking down from above and just dripping from the nut. It appears to be coming directly from the threads on the adjustment hex plug...

Before I open it up and maybe void the Right of Return (1A Auto), does anyone know what I'll find in the way of an oil seal or o-ring or whatever is supposed to keep the oil inside and not on the floor? Are leaks from that area common?

I still have the old one, so I can open that to see what's what; maybe even put the old plug in the new rack to see if it seals any better, but I thought I'd check here first for any age-old wisdom...:hail:

Thanks, boys and girls!

IMG_0774.jpeg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.