New Set-Up : 315-70-17 TreadWright Guard Dogs and 17x9 Pro Comp 6032

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Finally got some good 35's to run and some new rims to replace my ones with some issues.

The new set-up is a set of 315-70-17 TreadWright Guard Dogs. Basically the old MTR tread on a BFG AT Carcass. These carcasses have the 3 ply sidewall. The unmounted height is right at 35 inches. The weight was about 76 lbs a piece. Actual tread measures about 11 inches wide. Which is interesting since the previous 305's were wider, but 315 and 11 inches seems to be standard.

The wheel are the Pro Comp 6032 in the new HD Chrome. There are a bit over 20 lbs and the size is 17x9. I like that the plastic center caps are bolt on. These wheels are light and the finish really is incredible. I think black rims look like cheap ghetto crap, so I knew with the discontinuation of the Knight Chrome I had to go with full chrome. My chrome wheels always get me home and dont look like spares doing it.

The combo gained me about 1.5 inches of ground clearance. The tires being a bit skinnier makes the truck seem taller and narrower, not a bad thing. The wheelwells are filled out better, but may have additional rubbing, although I doubt it is anything of consequence. My rear extended control arms do not appear to center the tires in the wells. Looks like an extention of more than 1/2 inch would be more appropriate, but Fishsticks said his 1 inch was too much.

I only drove around the neighborhood, under 30 mph, and these tires make more noise than the worn pro comp xtreme mt did. They do feel solid and smooth. Truck feels taller, but is very planted and not unstable feeling. Time will tell.

But what people want to see....pictures....

The rims and tires..
SDC12518.jpg

2012-02-21_20-57-23_742.jpg

2012-02-22_14-23-18_999.jpg

2012-02-21_20-57-50_559.jpg

SDC12519.jpg

Old in front of new
SDC12537.jpg

Old
SDC12526.jpg

New
SDC12525.jpg

Some Measurements

Old Height
SDC12520.jpg

New Height
SDC12521.jpg

Old rear
SDC12510.jpg

New rear
SDC12533.jpg

Clearance to cut front old
SDC12514.jpg

Clearance to cut front new
SDC12530.jpg

Tire to fender clearance old
SDC12513.jpg

Tire to fender clearance new
SDC12529.jpg

And just some pics of the stance and such

morn1.jpg

morn3.jpg

morn4.jpg

SDC12543.jpg

SDC12542.jpg

SDC12541.jpg

SDC12540.jpg

frontend.jpg

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
you're giving harmless a run for the title of picture whore! :tongue:

Looking pretty good!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Regulator said:
you're giving harmless a run for the title of picture whore! :tongue:

Looking pretty good!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
I pretty much think he has taken the title from him so far.

I like the look!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
2012-05-30_07-05-20_805.jpg

truck.jpg

rear8.jpg

SDC12617-1.jpg

2012-04-20_14-51-16_344.jpg

2012-05-19_14-21-06_615.jpg

So Now I have a few miles on the Treadwright Guard Dogs....Honestly....Not impressed. They are loud and not just mud tire loud, they are annoying and at a pitch that gives me a headache. I love the lower rumble of Swampers and the typical mud tire howl, but this sucks. Not sure how no one else has mentioned this. I also get a weird vibration/feeling/sound like one of the tires is oout of balance, but only occasionally and at weird speeds. Does not inspire confidence in the tires. They pick up a ton of gravel/rocks. Far more than the Pro Comps did.. They also seem to hold these rocks until speeds are enough that when they release they slam into the truck and scare the crap out of you. The lack of sidewall tread is annoying to me, just a visual/preference thing as they have not prevented me from anything, but I really cant like the looks of the tires.

They do ride ok most of the time. They were cheap. They seemed to balance ok, but really think I need them rechecked since it while it is only occasional but the unbalanced feeling sucks. Lots of people do seem to like them on the truck, but not me.

I wish I had spent the little bit more and got different tires. The noise of these has gotten worse as they wear and ruins long drives. I would recommend them to someone on a serious budget that does not mind the looks and noise, but for most people investing as much as it costs to make the truck fit 315's or 35's...dont be cheap on the tires.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
2012-05-30_07-05-20_805.jpg

truck.jpg

rear8.jpg

SDC12617-1.jpg

2012-04-20_14-51-16_344.jpg

2012-05-19_14-21-06_615.jpg

So Now I have a few miles on the Treadwright Guard Dogs....Honestly....Not impressed. They are loud and not just mud tire loud, they are annoying and at a pitch that gives me a headache. I love the lower rumble of Swampers and the typical mud tire howl, but this sucks. Not sure how no one else has mentioned this. I also get a weird vibration/feeling/sound like one of the tires is oout of balance, but only occasionally and at weird speeds. Does not inspire confidence in the tires. They pick up a ton of gravel/rocks. Far more than the Pro Comps did.. They also seem to hold these rocks until speeds are enough that when they release they slam into the truck and scare the crap out of you. The lack of sidewall tread is annoying to me, just a visual/preference thing as they have not prevented me from anything, but I really cant like the looks of the tires.

They do ride ok most of the time. They were cheap. They seemed to balance ok, but really think I need them rechecked since it while it is only occasional but the unbalanced feeling sucks. Lots of people do seem to like them on the truck, but not me.

I wish I had spent the little bit more and got different tires. The noise of these has gotten worse as they wear and ruins long drives. I would recommend them to someone on a serious budget that does not mind the looks and noise, but for most people investing as much as it costs to make the truck fit 315's or 35's...dont be cheap on the tires.

Bummer. Nice rims though. Maybe you can sell your tires to some poor sap...

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
For the extra $250-300 over the cost of the tread wrights, I think I will just hold out and get the Destination MT's I've been eyeing after seeing this. Figured the cost was too good to be true, thanks for the updated review.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
No problem. Kinda why I posted it. The tires are not bad, but when you are really spending money on your ride...Buy what you want or you could end up regretting it like I am. No safety issue or really horrible things about the tires. They are not exploding or coming apart as some people say retreads will. Just a cheaper tire and I now know why. For a non-DD or a dirt toy they are great. Just not what I wish I had.

I have ran several sets of MT's...Firestone, BFG, Pro Comp...and several different Swampers...LTB, SX, Thornbirds, SSR... plus many other tires.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Opeth said:
For the extra $250-300 over the cost of the tread wrights, I think I will just hold out and get the Destination MT's I've been eyeing after seeing this. Figured the cost was too good to be true, thanks for the updated review.

I wouldn't say they're "too good to be true" at all... Old MT/R pattern, which is better in the snow and probably rocks than the Destination MT, but also makes a different noise. Having had the Destination M/T on my truck, and having to cut and sipe them to make them useable in the winter, and not being able to hear the 12-valve Cummins over the tires, IMO, it's a 6 - 1/2-dozen thing... It may or may not just be that size that has that pitch. I never noticed any kind of annoying tire noise in Regulator's truck, with the TW tires...

The one thing that they're not going to be able to do is get real, hardcore side tread... Just because of the process of the re-tread, and where the cap stops, they're not going to be able to do it.

Still, I wouldn't say they're "too good to be true"... It's just what they are... 1/2-2/3 the price of new tires, for re-treads, and what comes with that.

Mike

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm still curious about their Sentinel or Warden AT tires. I've been extremely happy with my Firestone Destination AT tires at least for what I've used them for. They've had good grip and wear has been exceptional. They are rated at 50k, have 40k on them, but sure don't look it. I haven't really done any offroading to know how well they do that but being stock height and stock size tires I'm limited there anyway so I haven't even tried.

Maybe if/when I get a lift I might just get more Destination ATs in a larger size. The price of the Treadwrights is certainly alluring.

How well have those Treadwrights worn compared to other tires and how has the grip been aside from throwing rocks all over?

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
I have the Wardens on my Cummins. I've only had them on for ~7-8k miles, but they are pretty much like the BFG AT. Little noise, good all weather traction, etc.

Mike

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I am honestly surprised Kyle. I have had just the opposite experience with my 285/70-17's. They have been reasonably quiet until recently, now that I am at about 40k miles on them I am noticing them getting louder as the are wearing down. I had zero issue in getting them balanced, and even ran them without any weight for a while after initially mounting them myself. For the price, I am more then pleased with what I got and will be purchasing another set later this year as mine seem to be approaching the end of their life.

I should also point out that this is my first offroad built vehicle and I have no real experience with any other tires. Just stating that I have been more then happy in my experience.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Bartonmd said:
I have the Wardens on my Cummins. I've only had them on for ~7-8k miles, but they are pretty much like the BFG AT. Little noise, good all weather traction, etc.

Mike

How is the hydroplane resistance? I'm still a little paranoid about hydroplaning after my accident in my old car nearly 2 years ago.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:
How is the hydroplane resistance? I'm still a little paranoid about hydroplaning after my accident in my old car nearly 2 years ago.

It's great! I haven't hydroplaned in my truck, or with the real BFG AT on my TB, once...

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I have not had any hydroplaning either.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I wonder is anyone else running the 315 TW like Kyle is? Did Donny run those for awhile?
I think I have heard of 1-2 issues of the "cap" look like it was separating that they took care of quickly but I don't think I have heard of anyone unhappy with the tire itself/noise/ride.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Fish has them on a 35 12.50 17 KM2 carcass, which I asked for but got the AT instead...I even waited for the right carcasses and they did not send them, but whatever. I dont think he has mentioned any issues with his and I really dont have issues with mine other than the noise and feeling of settling for less tire than i wanted.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.