New rear springs, new noise.

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I installed new springs, now I have a metal on metal rubbing noise when I jump up and down on the rear bumper. The sound isn't very noticeable when driving. It's a SWB with wiener dog springs and one inch lift spacers.

I thought at first the top rubber insulators had fallen off during the install, but they were still there and looked like they were in the correct spot. The best I can tell is that the sound is coming from where the lift spacer sits on the rear axle. Has anyone else experienced this?

Was thinking about ordering 2 more rubber insulators and putting then in the bottom as well.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine fit snugly on the spring enough that it didn't move at all. The center "stud" of the spacer pressed into the coil tight enough it couldn't move, though it took some doing getting it to get in there at first. Does yours fit snugly and the spring is sitting all the way flat against that spacer?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Springs upside down?

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Springs upside down?
Maybe, I didn't realize they were directional.

Mine fit snugly on the spring enough that it didn't move at all. The center "stud" of the spacer pressed into the coil tight enough it couldn't move, though it took some doing getting it to get in there at first. Does yours fit snugly and the spring is sitting all the way flat against that spacer?
I thought it fit snugly. Maybe I need to go back and look again. I looked at it for a while trying to figure out what might be wrong, but everything looked good to me.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I dont know...I thought the ext springs were the same as the swb so I figured maybe they were directional. I put my spacers on top cause i did not like seeing them. Could do that. Also did you double check the shocks n such you took loose to do the install?

---Please use multiquote so to avoid double posting in the future. Thanks

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
It made the noise with the shocks disconnected.

Are you saying the springs are directional? I couldn't tell the difference. If they are directional, I'm sure that's the problem.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The z71 had a top and bottom. I never saw it with stock coils, but did not know the ext ones were different. Maybe they are like z71

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I remember my Envoy's were different top / bottom when I did my shocks last year. The one side is known as a 'pigtail' (you'd recognize it as soon as you saw it.)

I remember running into a site that actually describes / illustrates the different types (can't remember name / URL as I write this, but I know it exists.)

Reactions: Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Just an update. I jacked up the rear again and still couldn't see anything wrong. I decided to just leave it for now, since I can't hear anything while driving. I have to jump up and down on the bumper to hear it.

I'm starting to think that maybe the sound is coming from somewhere else. Maybe I just didn't notice it before.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online