navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
when I go to forums, I usually click the "new posts" link to see all the new responses to threads that I am interested in. The alternative is to click in each sub-forum and see if anyone has posted anything new. With all the social/game threads "post whore", "next word" etc, I counted 7 this morning which pushes 7 threads of content/questions off of the new posts results.

What decides the number of posts that shows when you click "new posts"? Is it the date/time or the most recent X number of posts? I feel like people might be missing out on help because the site has so many social/game threads. Can the lounge type items not show up in the new post results?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I think it's "posts since your last visit" but I see older posts often if I switch devices, so I'm guessing the posts you've seen are stored in a cookie.

I don't know of a way to suppress certain forums, but you have a good point. Wonder if jman can add this feature.

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
the roadie said:
I think it's "posts since your last visit" but I see older posts often if I switch devices, so I'm guessing the posts you've seen are stored in a cookie.

good info

the roadie said:
I don't know of a way to suppress certain forums, but you have a good point. Wonder if jman can add this feature.

gotcha, and it might be that I am the only one it bugs since I don't usually look at those types of threads.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Those threads bug me a little. I'm curious, do those threads count towards your post count? On another forum I'm on, none of social subforums count towards it.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I browse using "new posts" so I know the feels.

beforeedit_zpsdaaf6e06.png

Settings > General Settings > Exclude forums from "What's New" > Save Changes
Hold shift to select multiple forums

edit_zps394b82b6.png

afteredit_zps391568f7.png

Note: Your settings screen might be a little different then mine.

Another note: The resolution that I use is jacked up.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Hypnotoad said:
Those threads bug me a little. I'm curious, do those threads count towards your post count? On another forum I'm on, none of social subforums count towards it.
On GMTN, we made a conscious policy decision to let them count. On Trailvoy after a few years, we turned the counter OFF. To change policy here now might be a "touchy" subject for a few post whores. And it *did* (we thought) increase our footprint when we were a new and upcoming forum.

On Trailvoy, I actually regret that change. It might have put my #1 post count at risk to have those posts count, but it also makes it harder to contact noobs over there whose ONLY post, technical or not, is in the Intro thread. You can't use PM to contact a member with zero count. Those are the very folks who would benefit the most by Vertical Scope allowing us to help them find us. But it might harm VS, so it'll never happen. They can suck a toad and die, IMHO.

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
the roadie said:
And it *did* (we thought) increase our footprint when we were a new and upcoming forum.

So do the "extra posts" benefit this site in any way? For example, ad revenue, Google ranking, etc?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
CaptainKD said:
So do the "extra posts" benefit this site in any way? For example, ad revenue, Google ranking, etc?
Not sure if they benefit the site. But I know my Fidelity retirement account goes up by a dime every time you post, so carry on! :thumbsup: :wootwoot:

Seriously, I think it helped in the early days when we were small and Google didn't see a lot of activity. Now we are constantly crawled by Google and new technical posts get indexed within minutes and show up in a search.

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
thanks May03LT for the tip. It would be neat if other forums could get added to the exclude list.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
MAY03LT said:
I browse using "new posts" so I know the feels.

beforeedit_zpsdaaf6e06.png

Settings > General Settings > Exclude forums from "What's New" > Save Changes
Hold shift to select multiple forums

edit_zps394b82b6.png

afteredit_zps391568f7.png

Note: Your settings screen might be a little different then mine.

Another note: The resolution that I use is jacked up.

is there a video in the works on how to do this ?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
fletch09 said:
is there a video in the works on how to do this ?

Nah, because if I did, out of the first 100 comments:

12 people would say that "General Settings" should come before "Settings"
14 people would say that they didn't have to press the shift key
11 people would say that they pressed the tab key instead of the shift key
16 people would say that they use a torque wrench when pressing the shift key
12 people would say that they prefer the off topic threads
10 people would say that they don't browse using new posts
12 people would say that they don't like the screen resolution that I use
10 people would say that I should have filmed in HD
3 people would say that browsing new posts is now super awesome

But on a serious note, I did disconnect the battery on a TB today. That will be up in a few weeks.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've been collecting requests for more of your videos lately from the new posts on trailvoy.

14 want to see how to disconnect the correct cable off the battery so they don't lose an HVAC actuator

10 need a video on how to hook up jumper cables properly because they got a spark when they used the threaded studs on the fuse block and now their radio and dome lights quit working

4 need a video on how to add air to their tires because they're "visual learners" and the owners manual is too confusing

2 want to a video explanation about what it means that so many people are "No Longer With Us" and did they all die at a meet from poisoned BBQ or what?

1 guy took his truck in for emissions testing and the shop said the diagnostic port didn't work and none of the fuse charts in the owners manual mention anything about the diagnostic port so can you do a video about how to fix that?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
4 need a video on how to add air to their tires because they're "visual learners" and the owners manual is too confusing

Can I request this one, having a terrible time figuring this out.

On a more serious side note, thanks for posting the info on removing certain topics from the new post screen. While I like reading these threads for humor value, they can be annoying.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
the roadie said:
I've been collecting requests for more of your videos lately from the new posts on trailvoy.

14 want to see how to disconnect the correct cable off the battery so they don't lose an HVAC actuator

10 need a video on how to hook up jumper cables properly because they got a spark when they used the threaded studs on the fuse block and now their radio and dome lights quit working

2 want to a video explanation about what it means that so many people are "No Longer With Us" and did they all die at a meet from poisoned BBQ or what?

1 guy took his truck in for emissions testing and the shop said the diagnostic port didn't work and none of the fuse charts in the owners manual mention anything about the diagnostic port so can you do a video about how to fix that?

82 want to know what the Heck that red wire is

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
MAY03LT said:
10 people would say that I should have filmed in HD
Only 10? :undecided:

the roadie said:
Yeah, the meet was at a Hooters and all of us *old fogies* had weak hearts that gave out with the scenery. :biggrin:

(or the Wing House for our friends in the Tampa Bay area)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online