New PK3 Key(s)

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
I've got new driver in my house... and have quickly discovered in the week, that I can't keep giving her my keys each time she takes herself somewhere.

I haven't dealt with keys in years on my 08 TB, but remember there are some procedures to get a new one programmed. This TB has the PK3+ stamped on all the keys, and I remember them being in the neighbourhood of $40 at the dealer years ago.

I see multiple 2 pack and individuals available on Amazon. Reviews are hit and miss, as always. Anyone have any experience with these, or recommendations? Or should I just go to the dealer to grab a key and have them cut it? I recall the programming process wasn't too difficult, but haven't looked in my book yet.
TIA!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The only vehicle in the GMT360 that has PassKey (PK3) is the Saab 9-7x. All others are PassLock which has no chip so no programming required. The physical keys are interchangeable. Get a key made for "just the doors" and try it.

If someone (shop or locksmith) said you needed PK3 keys and programming, you got hosed. Even this site says it's a non-transponder key.

The ONLY exception to this were those exported outside of North America.

Reactions: Matt and TJBaker57

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
So, I actually went through this in '08 when I got the TB. I thought $40 for a key was crazy, and had a replica cut at a key shop, just for the doors. I used to carry a spare key in my wallet. I just went and found it, and it doesn't work, just like I remember. It unlocks the doors, fully turns over in the Ignition... but gets no response from the starter.

Put in one of my original keys and it works great. I got 3 PK3+ keys when I bought at the dealership in Sept '08. Replica and my original everyday key attached.

Attachments

• 20211205_214512.jpg
    20211205_214512.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Wow
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Hmmmm, wonder if the "A2E Fleet Sales..." or the "BAH Equipment Security System..." Brought PK3 with them??? I think BAE is commonly seen for export vehicles and those may be PK3. Anyone know? Anyone else have RPO code "BAH" ??

Screenshot_20211205-214953.png

Reactions: Mooseman and psa55

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fleet sales could have been for rentals. I doubt it's a police fleet as I don't think there was a police package available. This is very odd.

@budwich also has a Canadian 08 TB. Maybe he can check his.

Reactions: Redbeard and psa55

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Fleet sales could have been for rentals. I doubt it's a police fleet as I don't think there was a police package available. This is very odd.

@budwich also has a Canadian 08 TB. Maybe he can check his.
I have to check my "packaging" but I know my keys didn't require any special programming to get them to function with the starter....iirc. Attached is the RPO report for my vehicle. Should be noted that my vehicle is a US vehicle brought into canada as opposed to a canadian vehicle domiciled here or elsewhere.

From the user manual... quote: "
GM Owner Manuals
Canadian Owners: If you lose or damage your keys, only a dealer/retailer can service the theft-deterrent system to have new keys made. To program additional keys you will require two current driver’s keys.
To program a new key do the following:

1. Verify that the new key has PK3+ stamped on it"

So it appears that a "non-US vehicle" in 2008 may require a PK3 key... :-( lucky for me, my vehicle was an "import"... lucky we are one big continent.... :smile:

AHHH!!! but I see further down in the manual section that there is additional detail which I now recall my reasoning as posted up above. I got my vehicle with 2 keys and went around in circles trying to understand what "state" it was in (ie. US or canada). After reading and some posting elsewhere, it was determined that all I needed was a "normal key" cut and then do the learn at the ignition which you need to have at least 2 keys to complete.... that's why I got a third key so that if one got lost, I could still go thru "cheap replacement" without going to a third party "learn". I think that is perhaps what is needed with the OP vehicle maybe. I got my key off of ebay at the time for $10ish

checking my replacement key, its a 14r3 key. I see from lowes canada, it can be had for $4. I guess the "r3" indicates "resistance type".... or maybe "radio 3"... :smile:

Attachments

• Trailblazer Specs no vin display.pdf
    639.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: psa55 and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Great. Another thing I'll have to check on Canadian TBs in the u-pull yard.

The thing I don't really get, for the exports, is that PassLock (no chip) is an immobilizer. However, this may not have been good enough for the rest of the world to prevent thefts using a copied key. They must think that car valets are a hotbed of thieves. The vast majority of thefts in the old days were from punched out ignition switches or the magic two wires under the dash :laugh:.

Reactions: xavierny25

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So, I actually went through this in '08 when I got the TB. I thought $40 for a key was crazy, and had a replica cut at a key shop, just for the doors. I used to carry a spare key in my wallet. I just went and found it, and it doesn't work, just like I remember. It unlocks the doors, fully turns over in the Ignition... but gets no response from the starter.

Put in one of my original keys and it works great. I got 3 PK3+ keys when I bought at the dealership in Sept '08. Replica and my original everyday key attached.
The key pictured is not a standard GMT360/GMT800 key. Did they do something different for you Canadians?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looks like just for that particular TB. AFAIK, others, including my 07, have the normal Passlock non-chipped key.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Definitely not a standard key for that generation Trailblazer..

He pictured this one.. Which is a PK3 Small Head. ILCO part # B97
2 CHEVROLET Full Size Truck OEM Key Blank 1995 - 1998 | eBay

And this is the one he should have.. Large Head PK3. ILCO part # B99 (assuming he actually does have PK3).
2002 Chevrolet SILVERADO key blank Transponder chip key

Both keys will physically work, just odd seeing that small head key. It will have a small gap inbetween the key and the key slot tab.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe that's all they had at the time?

Reactions: psa55

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
You guys have all been very informative. I've have located a third key, which was in the back of my keys rack... luckily that means I don't need to get one cut.

I can assure you, I have only had the three PK3+ keys given to me by the dealer(one additional I paid for), when I purchased in Sept. 2008. All of them, the small headed keys I pictured, to go with the matching key fobs.

If I find a key at a decent price, I may still grab it. Most say PK3... do I need it to have the + sign on it (PK3+)?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
this is probably a "dumb question" but does a PK3 type key also have a "resistance" built into itself so that it can work with a non-radio system?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not sure of the difference between + and non+ but both have an RFID type chip in the key rather than a resistor. Those old resistor type key systems are long gone and were more trouble than they were worth.

Edit: Just found this as to the difference between the two:

PK3 keys can be cloned on a machine as well as onboard programmed. PK3+ keys must be onboard programmed and cannot be cloned. Now you know.

Reactions: psa55

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online