New (Original) Seat Cover

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I'm not talking about covers that go over your seat. I'm talking about the actual seat cloth/leather itself.

Is there a place where you can buy replacement covers that look original? The drivers seat in my truck is starting to look pretty beat. And it's cracking on the side. All the rest of the seats look great, so I'd love to replace that leather.
I did heated seats in the front, so I should be able to take it a little further and replace the seat cover entirely... right?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Sure... Just check out my detailed thread on how I accomplished this very project for an "All New COMPLETE Real Leather Seat Makeover" for my 2000 Chevrolet Silverado. The link below to my "Flickr-Bucket" has a "Visual Step By Step" Procedure that may prove helpful. Forget that your vehicle is a Different Model... because 'neath "The Skin"... ' They are VERY Close in Appearance and what needs to be done to perform this R&R tactically will be JUST as Close:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126111508@N07/albums/72157702339632665

...and here is the Full Story:

https://gmtnation.com/forums/thread...ther-interior-2000-chevrolet-silverado.19125/

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Junk yard or Katskins are the only options that I'm aware of, and the Katskins are expensive. You could get a passengers one from a junker and put it on the drivers side.

Reactions: xavierny25

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yea no one makes an actual replacement. Unlike the full size these are hog ringed on in certain places too.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Junk yard or Katskins are the only options that I'm aware of, and the Katskins are expensive. You could get a passengers one from a junker and put it on the drivers side.

I'd been considering the 'passenger' seat swap, too (usually, they're in great shape, because they haven't had an arse sitting in them for nearly the same miles that the driver's seat gets, unless you have a *really* clingy partner (and then, you have worse issues altogether) :yikes:

Problem is, IIRC, the sides of the bolsters are different (material) on the 'inner' side than the 'outer'. Functionally, they'd work, but if appearance is an issue, you'd need to replace the one side (unfortunately, that's the side you'll see with the door opened).

On my 'new to me' Sierra, someone swapped out the bottom cushions on both front seats with a different MY / trim. They're both 'black' - but it's not the same softness or stitching pattern as the backrest. Thankfully, my arse can't tell the difference - all it cares about is that the bun warmers work. :dielaugh: (and I'm not suggesting the OP go this route...just that it doesn't bug me too much, and I prefer it to seeing a seat cushion that's cracked / beat to hell - the GMT800s really suffer from wear on the D/S outer bolster)

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I skimmed that thread but I didn't see any mention of where you actually got the new seat cover?

Yea no one makes an actual replacement. Unlike the full size these are hog ringed on in certain places too.

I had to cut plenty of hog rings when I installed my heated seats. It wasn't so bad, and I just used zip ties instead of hog rings during reassembly.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
There is another option SPECIFICALLY "Made For Trailblazers" ...if your Color Scheme is similar to this one and you have to keep your costs to the bare minimum ...and you are willing to replace ONLY the Driver's Side BOTTOM Cover with this REAL Leather Two-Tone Gray selection. This one goes for around $150.00 on eBay:

EDIT: This Vendor lists a Contact Number at the bottom of this Listing if you need the Passenger Side as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2004-Chevy-Trailblazer-Front-Driver-Bottom-Leather-Seat-Cover-2-Tone-Gray/264148192280?fits=Model:Trailblazer&hash=item3d80758c18:g:ZysAAOSwYX9cQg85:rk:12:tongue:f:0

s-l1600B.jpgs-l1600C.jpgs-l1600A.jpgs-l1600D.jpgs-l1600F.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
That would not match my interior at all. However now that you mention it, I probably do really only need a new bottom piece. I'll take a closer look next time I'm in the truck but I suspect the back is fine. I'm surprised a part like this is so hard to find. You'd think the demand would be enough for some aftermarket replicas.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
This is a funny topic because it's VERY hard to google search when the actual seat covering, and the cheap garbage cover you'd slip over that, both have the same name :smile:

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I'd also like to alert you to the fact that if the Leather Cover is Cracked on your Driver's Side Seat... then it follows that the underlying Foam Cushion Plank Bolster has also broken down over time as well. You should know that during the procedures I followed of rebuilding my seats... I discovered that my Foam Plank had become dried, desiccated and it 'Crumbled like a Sugar Cookie' when being handled... and STILL I thought it would be all right to just install the New Leather Cover. Nope.

Ultimately, I wound searching far and wide and luckily ...ended up replacing BOTH Foam Seat Planks and the difference in how they "sit" is astonishing. I just managed to locate a New Foam Plank Cushion that WILL work in your vehicle... but this is only a guess... as your Personal Data has No Year of Vehicle listed. I'm hoping this one will do... and please remember... THESE are 'Genuine' GM OEM Planks and will be Well Worth the Money!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CP8SG24/?tag=gmtnation-20

TRAILBLAZERFOAMCUSHION.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
this is only a guess... as your Personal Data has No Year of Vehicle listed.

His is an '08...it's in his sig, which doesn't show on mobile (where I also write this reply from). So he'll suffer the least aging. But if his 'plank' crumbles, then I'd replace it, too.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175