New member with a self-induced (?) electrical gremlin

tropicdave173

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Treasure Coast, FL
Greetings, everyone. New member, from Florida's Treasure Coast. I've owned my TB for about a year and a half, after purchasing it from a coworker for $1000. I've been making changes and repairs as I've been able, and the most recent one was a seat swap from cloth manuals to power leather (found an '04 LT that had a pretty much flawless interior other than the driver's seat so I harvested all of it), but I think I screwed something up...

At present, the front windows won't roll down from either side (though the rear ones do with the switches in their doors), the locks don't work with switches nor fob on either side, the courtesy lights aren't working right (don't come on when the door is open), RAP doesn't work (the power shuts off when the key is turned off)...BUT...it drives fine, the radio (aftermarket unit) operates, and AC works.

I wired the seats in using the 'add-a-circuit' part, initially placed in the 30A RR HVAC position in the interior (under the rear seat) fusebox and later moved to the SEATS circuit breaker. My thought was that I needed a 30A spot that wouldn't also be used at the same time as the seats than the rear AC, then saw the seats breaker had power. I used the harnesses I 'd gotten from the LT, connected the grounds to the B pillars and ran the orange wires under the carpet (connected together on the driver's side, again figuring that both seats wouldn't be used at the same time). The seats both worked perfectly the first time I tried them. I finished with the trim and then when I'd put the driver's door panel on and fired the TB up, the above problems happened. I've tried testing the DDM with the PDM (but not vice versa), checked the connector at the hinge, checked the TBC fuses (one thing that happened was while I was wiring the fuse for the seats in, I placed my hand on the ribbon connector between the fuse box and BCM, and thought I cracked it - but I got a replacement for that, unless the replacement is bad), the PDM and DDM fuses...at this point I'm at a loss. I'm wondering if I pinched a wire or such while putting the darker trim in. I haven't taken a meter to anything yet but hope to do so over the weekend. Until then, any other ideas?

(NOTE: I've looked over the threads both here and at the OS, and just a bit ago tried the BCM test swap with no luck.)

Attachments

• IMG_4130.jpg
    IMG_4130.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4134.jpg
    IMG_4134.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 9

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I placed my hand on the ribbon connector between the fuse box and BCM, and thought I cracked it
Hmmm.... that doesn't sound too confident. You either did or didn't damage it. The door modules run the locks and windows and have to communicate with the BCM so you should check that more carefully for damage or bad connections.

tropicdave173

Original poster
May 8, 2021
Treasure Coast, FL
The latest -

Took it to the auto electrical shop in the next town, and they said they couldn't get the serial bus signal. They didn't want to work on it 'since I'd done some of my own wiring and they weren't sure where to check'...which I find dubious as the wires I didn't cut on the harnesses weren't connected - I just used the ground and large orange wire for power. The small black w/grey wire I spliced in to the existing harness. It was suggested I return everything to the original state, and it should work. Doing that didn't work, unless there's some break I can't find, or I haven't totally gotten it back to original. Considering harvesting another harness and rear fuse box...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.