New Member....With A Question

Z71Tahoe2004

Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
Virginia
Good day everyone! I just joined this forum and am looking for some help.
I've got a 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71. Best vehicle I've ever owned, and I'm committed to keeping it running for as long as she'll let me.
I've been dealing with a maddening rattle that's coming from either 1) behind the instrument cluster or 2) from somewhere within the steering column or shaft. I've pulled the cluster and the dash cover, but don't find anything that's loose. I've seen a lot about the faulty intermediate steering shaft in these models, but that seems to be identified by a clunking in the steering wheel and not by a rattle. I've looked under the hood for loose parts, thinking that something under there might sound like it's coming from the driver's side dash, but nothing. I'm almost at the point that I'm going to take it into a mechanic shop, but they tell me that if they have to pull the dash off to get behind there, then I'm looking at $1000 in labor to start.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for your help! Looking forward to being part of the community!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Welcome. Check all the plastic clips and screws on both side of the dash. A small sound can echo back there.

Z71Tahoe2004

Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
Virginia
Thanks Hardtrailz. I've been over the dash several times looking for loose screws and panels. It sounds like loose metal or metal tapping against more metal. Will keep looking. It's maddening.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Can you get ahold of the steering shaft under dash or in the engine compartment and check for any play?

Could it be a worn out bushing where the shaft goes through the firewall?

Z71Tahoe2004

Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
Virginia
Yes - I can agitate the intermediate steering shaft from both the engine bay and from under the steering column. Sounds a bit like the rattle I'm hearing. Been reading about the issues with the steering shaft. Although most of what I've seen addresses a clunking sound, I'm gonna pop the shaft free and agitate the grease and see what happens. Also think it might be a worn out steering coupler....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online