New Lower Control Arm, strut bushing position?

Johnd393

Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
NW Indiana
I'm replacing a bunch of front suspension parts including both lower control arms
The strut yoke bushing on the new LCA looks to me to be pushed too far out. On the old LCA the outer sleeve of the bushing is more centered on the LCA. On the new LCAs the bushing sleeve is flush or a little bit recessed on the flange end and appears excessive out on the stud side. I tried to move the bushing using a ball joint press but it would not move. I installed one side like it is. Is this a problem?
I have a friend who has a hydraulic press I could try if I need to move these bushings.

Attachments

• newbushing.jpg
    newbushing.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 12
  • oldbushing.jpg
    oldbushing.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 12

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
How does the strut sit on the stud? Is it snug, or is there play? If there's no vertical or lateral movement, I wouldn't worry about the sleeve

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably just a different manufacturer that has a slightly different part. Like @Blckshdw said, it's probably fine if the strut yoke fits snugly on it.

Johnd393

Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
NW Indiana
I'm pretty convinced the bushing was pushed in too far, just trying to figure out if it matters. Seems to be snug. The shock yoke did not just slip all the way on to the stud squarely and required the nut to pull it seated.
New shock, upper & lower control arm & bracket, and hub bearing, stabilized end links, so nothing is in alignment. I bought it knowing it needed suspension work. It's RWD so it's easier.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What brand is it? Have you looked at pics of it on RA?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
shock yoke did not just slip all the way on to the stud squarely and required the nut to pull it seated.
This is normal - it doesn't seat as far back as you found the original. Tighten to spec (which s/b 81 ft-lb, per my notes that I just looked at), and that will be enough. The thing will seat further with usage.

Reactions: Johnd393

Johnd393

Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
NW Indiana
It was a 6 piece suspension kit from a eBay seller. It looks like the same stuff sold be many sellers. The pictures for this sellers parts show the bushing sleeve similarly sticking out one side. On others the flange end of the stud can be seen. On these the flange end of the stud is recessed. Pictures of replacement bushings show a flange on the sleeve so it can not be pushed too far into the control arm bore. Another thing. Apparently there is a flange on the sleeve and it's bottomed out on a shoulder recessed into the arm. The flange on the stud is tight against the sleeve flange. It's like the pressed on the back of the stud to push the bushing in. I don't know if that stud is bonded to the rubber bushing or just a tight fit. If it's a tight fit maybe in use it will work its way to a better position.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Measure distance from the strut to the control arm with the OEM bushing and compare it with the new one. If there is a difference that may indicate that something didn't go in right.

Johnd393

Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
NW Indiana
This is normal - it doesn't seat as far back as you found the original. Tighten to spec (which s/b 81 ft-lb, per my notes that I just looked at), and that will be enough. The thing will seat further with usage.
This post arrived while I was typing my post #7.

Johnd393

Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
NW Indiana
The 2004 SWB I6 Trailblazer is my first SUV ever. I wanted RWD for less weight & complexity. I have nothing else with any towing ability but it turns out the Trailblazer is still limited for RV towing. This one has 177k miles and very little body rust. There's a little bubbling in the paint on the front edge of the hood, that's it. There is scaly rust on the frame. I'm chipping it off as I work on it and spraying Fluid Film or Sta-Bil Rust Stopper on it. I paid $1250 for it. I've already repaired a power steering leak with a line splice, and easy fixes for a stuck rear wiper and a loose driver side mirror. No engine check light or codes and it passed our state emissions check on the way home.
Interior: it's missing a radio, (got one), and the driver seat lumbar don't work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online