New HU and XM Onyx install

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
02 TB LS purchased 2 weeks ago. First things first, some new audio to replace non-bose system.

Im on a tight budget so I know I went with a cheap HU and will be looking to change in a few months. UGH!
Everything installed simple and easy with the GM connectors and the acc connection for satelite. All in all about 30 minutes. Not sure if I am happy with the XM Dock positioning. Would like feedback for suggestions on that.
Also going with a cheaper HU I had to hold on to my tomtom, but a quick hardwire leaves it in the upper left corner of the windshield tucked in nice and neat.

I was impressed by the sound once all was hooked up. Even the bass response was quite apparent. (possibly aftermarket speakers installed by a previous owner) I need to pull panels off and check it out.
If they are stock all 4 will be ripped out and replaced with infinity components and a small amp of sorts. Then a 1 sub amp combo. (feedback appreciated) All in all, it's a start for sure. Cant wait to dig in some more.

Attachments

• IMAG0164.jpg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Looks nice, Is that the HU that has like 1000 color options lol I dont think its that bad I really stopped worrying about HU and worried whats behind them the amps & speakers. As far as your onyx position heres where i put mine in my old TB I didnt change stations alot soo I went with this.
DSCF4234.jpg

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Yes the HU has a bazillion color choices its the JVC KW-r500. Im happy with it for now. It really does push out some clean sound. The thing that gets me the most is when listening to cd's am/fm or satelite, I listen on volume level 40 and it sounds good. When I listen to audio off the usb stick I cant go past 20 or things get way to loud and distort. Must be the quality level the mp3 were ripped at. After I decide on front and rear door speakers and an amplifier I may want to change it out seeing as how quick the install is.

For the Onyx, thats exactly the first place i was going to put mine. I decided I change music so damn often that I needed it a bit more accessible.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
its nice, its simple, and most of all, its to your tastes... :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online