New Here, got a lot of work to do

ehendrix

Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
So my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT Ext with 203k miles is begging for a complete suspension job, this car we plan on keeping a few more years at least, it is in great shape, uses no oil, burns no oil.

But the suspension is making wayyy to much noise, so I pulled a tire off and found busted rubber gaskets on the upper and lower ball joints, and generally worn bushing and parts all over, as well as shot and dead shocks.

I am a decent diy mechanic, so far since owning this car for 3 years I replaced the radiator, idler pulley, belt tensioner, belt, and hoses.

My plan is to buy:

2 sets of Monroe "Quick Struts" and 2 sets of Monroe rear shocks.
2 Moog upper and 2 Moog lower ball joints.
1 right and 1 left Moog or AC Delco Control Arms with bushings.
1 right and left Moog sway bar end links and sway bar bushings.
2 Motor Mounts, Moog
1 Set of Rear Sway bar end links Moog, and sway bar bushings

My plan here in a couple weeks is to start early and focus on just getting past the beastly ball joints, as I fear that will take most of my time, if I can get one side done within 2 hours or less I will move to the front struts and then complete both sides.

I would say I should if possible get the ball joints all done on both sides, this is my daily driver, so if I can only get the BJ done I should be able to drive the car without and alignment correct?

I have read the write up, and they explain alot, I just want to know what is realistic, and what can I expect. I will be blasting all screws I plan on unbolting a week before to help removing the bolts.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I recently just replaced everything you mentioned, the only thing stock I kept was the control arms and springs. Now I do have to replace the UCA due to bad bushings, however I have a set of urethane ones that I need to get pressed in. You could save yourself some money and get either Deeza or the similar sealed end links, the end links are generally one of the quicker items to wear out. I have seen some people who have considered getting the OEM ones, however I find the Deeza ones work good. It is also recommended to stick with the OEM engine mounts. You may also want to consider replacing the outer tie rod ends while you are doing this. That will require an alignment, however when I did mine I set the old one and new with the round end down and kind of eyeballed the jam nut to the same place the stock ones were at. I was only off 1.2* total from side to side.

You may also want to consider getting a new set of rear springs, I am sure your entire suspension has sagged and putting healthy springs in the front may give you some reverse rake depending on how bad the rear may be sagging. Also do you know if and when the hub assemblies may have been replaced. I would be amazed if you still had the stock ones. Also Delco makes urethane sway bar bushings, and energy suspension makes universal ones that should fit the front, you would need to measure to see which size you need.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
The Monroe front sensatrac struts I had were absolute garbage and I returned them after a week. The rear monotubes are nice and I still have those.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Where at my manners, welcome to the site.

I cannot comment on the quick struts, however I think Moog might make one as well. If not you can get new springs, struts and mounts. It would cost more but you can get a better product.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I would only put quickstruts in a vehicle that I was selling and wanted to make sure it was road-worthy. They are quick, economical (econostrut) replacements and that is all. One spring rate? GMT360's had at least 9 different spring rates up front. May not feel the same but definitely better if your's were shot or blown.

ehendrix

Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
So you guys don't recommend the quick struts, is that the same for both the Monroe's and Moogs on Rockauto? I am looking for something that inst necessarily cheap, but also not expensive as I have tires coming and a full brake job to do.

I got about $1500 dollars to spread all this out to. Also I was wrong on the motor mounts, all RockAuto has is Anchor and DEA motor mounts.

Also I dont see any selection for rear springs on Rockauto, I didn't think these cars had them, just the leaf springs.

Thanks for the welcome!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Welcome to the Nation.

From what I have learned here there are several different spring rates GM uses based on how the vehicle is equipped. So reusing the springs is an advantage, though a bit more work. As for struts and shocks, Bilstein HD's get high marks here. I replaced my shocks with Bilstein HDs and are very happy with them (anything that eleminated the floaty feel of the dead shock was welcome). Also learned here that TBs/Envoys are a bit particular on engine mounts and OEM work the best though they can very well be made by Moog for GM.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
We don't have leaf springs. We have a 5 link with coil springs. You might have to look at gmpartsdirect for the springs.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
ehendrix said:
Where is a good place to buy Bilstein shocks?

Shockwarehouse.com

Might be a 5% off code somewhere. Call it in. Some have complained of long ship out times when ordering. I will be ordering from them before the holidays. For bilstein hd's. Gmpartsdirect.com or parts4chevys.com for the stock shocks.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Welcome!

My 2 cents - unless you have been or plan on loading down the rear with a lot of weight your rear springs are probably fine. Springs do sag over time but not that much. Mine are original front and rear from 2002 and 186k miles and are fine for example. I'd only replace them if you're having issues.

For motor mounts... AC Delco OEM only is the safest bet.

FWIW, last time I got Bilstein shocks I got them elsewhere than shockwarehouse. First time was from there, and they were backordered in their defense, so it did take several months to get them. Problem is their site didn't say they were backordered... So this time around, I needed them ASAP and had no idea whether they were in stock or not, how long it would take (I've heard the stories too), so I tried out a site called autoplicity.com where they guaranteed stuff was in stock. I got them within 2-3 days of ordering, and they were actually a few bucks cheaper too (at least for the fronts, I didn't need new rears so I didn't look at those). So just another option.

blazinlow89 said:
Don't forget the upper strut mounts as well.

Yup, if you're not going with one of the "quick struts" you'll need these.

Interesting thing, it just struck me that I had Monroes up front on my TB when I bought it. Now it makes me wonder if my springs are the original GM ones or if the previous owner used a quick strut or not...

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Sparky said:
Welcome!

My 2 cents -I tried out a site called autoplicity.com where they guaranteed stuff was in stock. I got them within 2-3 days of ordering, and they were actually a few bucks cheaper too (at least for the fronts, I didn't need new rears so I didn't look at those). So just another option.

Interesting thing, it just struck me that I had Monroes up front on my TB when I bought it. Now it makes me wonder if my springs are the original GM ones or if the previous owner used a quick strut or not...

THANKS Sparky! I'll check them out. :yes:

My springs still had the paper tags from the factory. I tore them off to keep as reference if needed after reading way too many threads.

ehendrix

Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
I checked shock warehouse and the price for the struts and rear tubes were about the same, $65 each, these are the Bilstein HD's. I can get those exact same model number shocks from ebay for $55 each through a power buyer with a good rep and parts page.

I was aware of them being better than the economy Monroe's. Is there a way to tell if your tie rods need replacing?

Also is there a way to tell if the control arms need replacing, I am sure they are OEM on a 203k car.

Thanks

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
ehendrix said:
I checked shock warehouse and the price for the struts and rear tubes were about the same, $65 each, these are the Bilstein HD's. I can get those exact same model number shocks from ebay for $55 each through a power buyer with a good rep and parts page.

I was aware of them being better than the economy Monroe's. Is there a way to tell if your tie rods need replacing?

Also is there a way to tell if the control arms need replacing, I am sure they are OEM on a 203k car.

Thanks

The Bilsteins are the best bet, IMO. Installed Bilstein HD's on my old Envoy and the difference was night and day...

In my experience with these vehicles, if the steering feels loose or sloppy while driving you've either got worn tie rods or worn out UCA/LCA's.

When my control arms went tits up on my Envoy, they made clunking noises over bumps or when I panic stopped. They also creaked. That was a 'fun' job //sarcasm :crazy:

On my Envoy, I installed the Bilstein HD's at around 80k miles. At 170k when I sold it, they were still tight as heck!!

Also, once I replaced the upper & lower control arms, ball joints and tie rods all at once, the truck drove like NEW. My god was the steering tight.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
looks like your getting lots of help :thumbsup:

I just wanted to say welcome to GMTNation....you'll love it here!

ehendrix

Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
MichEnvoyGuy said:
The Bilsteins are the best bet, IMO. Installed Bilstein HD's on my old Envoy and the difference was night and day...

In my experience with these vehicles, if the steering feels loose or sloppy while driving you've either got worn tie rods or worn out UCA/LCA's.

When my control arms went tits up on my Envoy, they made clunking noises over bumps or when I panic stopped. They also creaked. That was a 'fun' job //sarcasm :crazy:

On my Envoy, I installed the Bilstein HD's at around 80k miles. At 170k when I sold it, they were still tight as heck!!

Also, once I replaced the upper & lower control arms, ball joints and tie rods all at once, the truck drove like NEW. My god was the steering tight.

OK I am for sure going to get the Bilstein HD's, I agree they are far superior than the Monroe "Economy" shocks, I am sold on that, and the wifey agrees.

Also I am sold on replacing the Upper Control Arms on both sides, the Moog brand on RA are around $50 bux each.

And I think I will go ahead and do the outer tie rod's as well, I am sure they are worn as well as wheel bearing all around.

Also my driving experience is much like yours with creaks and moans, also my struts and or springs sound like bad bed springs when i go over a bump or speed bump, its an up and down eeeerr, eeeeerrrr. Like a 500lb kid jumping on an old spring mattress, lol.

Soo thanks again for all the help and the welcomes, this is a big project one I will be starting in the next week or 2 before the cold really creeps in. My buddy has the car ramps and jack stands, so that's more I don't have to buy.

Ready to get started, I know it wont be fun, but I am afraid of this car falling to pieces driving 75 mph down the road.

Thanks

ehendrix

Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Are any of the front springs on Rock Auto worth buying, such as the Moog or AC Delco Brands?

Thanks.

smt 59

Good day all and welcome to the new guy,

I am wondering if I made a poor decision in replacing my front struts with the monroe quick strut, what is the difference between the bilstein and monroe, keep in mind that my Envoy is my primary ride and not used for extreme off roading and I am not as well versed in the suspension area as I should be(keep it simple) would the monroe give a different feel in the ride?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
ehendrix said:
Are any of the front springs on Rock Auto worth buying, such as the Moog or AC Delco Brands?

Thanks.

I think the Moogs are similar to something like the 86 or 87 GM springs.

smt 59 said:
Good day all and welcome to the new guy,

I am wondering if I made a poor decision in replacing my front struts with the monroe quick strut, what is the difference between the bilstein and monroe, keep in mind that my Envoy is my primary ride and not used for extreme off roading and I am not as well versed in the suspension area as I should be(keep it simple) would the monroe give a different feel in the ride?

The monroe quick strut is similar to the stock soft units. The Bilsteins give a little firmer, more controlled ride than stock. That's what I noticed when I did the switch, and I prefer a little tighter ride.

My Trailblazer is my primary ride also and I average around 25k a year on it.

ehendrix

Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Ok guys running into 1 problem here, Shockwarehouse says they have Bilstein # 24-103336 available for my car, a 2003 TB EXT LT 4.2L, although it doesn't specifically nail it down to a EXT LT.

Bilstein website says they don't make these for the EXT version of our TB's. The seller on Ebay concurs whom I was going to buy from.

So whats the deal, no Bilstein's then since I have the extended version?

Thanks

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
The EXT uses the same shocks. There isn't anything to worry about with the HD's unless you lift or lower it.

smt 59

Thank you Sparky for that info, I thought that I may have screwed up with my choice, although I would'nt have minded a little stiffer ride up front.

ehendrix

Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
I had a feeling they were the same since the non ext are the same model numbers.

Ok then, thanks!

DetsTB

Oct 17, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
The EXT uses the same shocks. There isn't anything to worry about with the HD's unless you lift or lower it.

What is there to worry about if you lift using Bilstein HD's? I am going to use Marks 2.5in lift and was considering using Bilstein's on the front. The only problem that I can think of would be the strut shaft would over extended with the spacers.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
DetsTB said:
What is there to worry about if you lift using Bilstein HD's? I am going to use Marks 2.5in lift and was considering using Bilstein's on the front. The only problem that I can think of would be the strut shaft would over extended with the spacers.

Nothing, I had them on the front of mine until I just changed out to the Radflo coil overs. The HD's are a great front shock.

DetsTB

Oct 17, 2013
mikekey said:
Nothing, I had them on the front of mine until I just changed out to the Radflo coil overs. The HD's are a great front shock.

Thanks good to hear that from an experienced user. I was just wondering what Playsinsnow meant when he said you shouldn't have any problems unless you lift or lower. Also I found a good price on ebay for Bilsteins and in the part notes it read: w/0" Lift/Drop. Again that makes me wonder if these are ok to use with Marks 2.5in lift kit. I'm thinking I should be good to go but this puts a little doubt in my mind. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They're fine. The limiting factor on the front are the CV shafts, so a longer shock up there wouldn't help anything anyway.

The rears work OK for a while too, although you won't have as much extension as possible unless you go with a different longer shock. Depends on how much extension you need back there.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
DetsTB said:
Thanks good to hear that from an experienced user. I was just wondering what Playsinsnow meant when he said you shouldn't have any problems unless you lift or lower. Also I found a good price on ebay for Bilsteins and in the part notes it read: w/0" Lift/Drop. Again that makes me wonder if these are ok to use with Marks 2.5in lift kit. I'm thinking I should be good to go but this puts a little doubt in my mind. Any clarification would be appreciated.

If you lift, longer won't help up front as Sparky said. Others have warned about lowering with the HD's due to harshness. The past reviews are out there. I use HD's on stock height. Checkout the build threads on www.offroadtb.com

There are cheatsheets and charts for what mods are needed for what. Marks 2.5" is a popular item with minimal modifications, spacers for bigger wheels etc.

DetsTB

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks for the help guys. Ordered them up last Friday. Now I need strut mounts and that brings me to my next question. Will Monroe strut mounts (Part# 904968) from RockAuto fit the Bilstien struts?

DetsTB

Oct 17, 2013
DetsTB said:
Thanks for the help guys. Ordered them up last Friday. Now I need strut mounts and that brings me to my next question. Will Monroe strut mounts (Part# 904968) from RockAuto fit the Bilstien struts?

Answered my own question. Yes they will work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online