New here and new 2002 TB to me

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I did some research before buying the 2002 TB with 70k on it. One owner and no dents and no leaks except the water pump that I expected when I first looked under hood and saw a low coolant reservoir. I had read up about cylinder sleeves problems but this rig is out of the VIN window for that problem. Am aware of a possible valve seat problem down the road and what causes that. Was aware of the fan clutch problem but had been replaced 35k ago and was aware of the water pump weakness and sure enough does leak. Am replacing the water pump within the next 3-4 days and will do thermostat/water outlet at same time. I am aware of the short cut to get the fan shroud/fan/fan clutch out easier. I am also aware of the typical "sewing machine" noise from the valve train. I am doing a full synthetic oil change and Wix XP filter when I do the water pump. I ran shops for 35+ years and love Wix, so don't try to talk me out of them, if you even planned on it. I am old, 70 on the 24th, and set in my ways.

Any other hints as to what to expect from this rig? Thanks in advance for any help.

By the way, I also own a 2005 Tahoe Z71 and am very active on the Tahoe/Yukon Forum.

I do appreciate any help and info but will be away for a bit. Going to coast today.

Last edited:

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I also own a 2002 Trailblazer (older than yours though, built 10/01) and a 2005 Yukon SLT w/5.3 LM7.
You should also join the Tahoe/Yukon Forum about your SLT. Very busy forum.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Whatever trips one's trigger, should be the way to go.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
On the subject of water pumps.... I don't have thick arms and I do have an aversion to cutting parts of my vehicle so I remove the fan clutch and fan blade separately. Do have to be very carefull to not damage radiator fins but I don't find it too terribly hard to do this way. Definitely not for everyone though.

IMG_20190826_191342.jpg

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
On the subject of water pumps.... I don't have thick arms and I do have an aversion to cutting parts of my vehicle so I remove the fan clutch and fan blade separately. Do have to be very carefull to not damage radiator fins but I don't find it too terribly hard to do this way. Definitely not for everyone though.

View attachment 106092
Yes, I was told about a shortcut. I watched a couple you tube videos. One had to do with the mech cutting a notch in the fan shroud to clear the upper rad hose snout on the radiator. I did not like that. The next video gave me what I was looking for. Showed unbolting the fan blade from the fan clutch and allowed for enough clearance then to collapse it all and lift up and out. Looks like the thermostat and water outlet will be a PITA but just remove alternator and get in there. 35+ years in shops taught me how to do things the smart way and not the hard way.

Reactions: TJBaker57

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Welcome!

If you have 4WD, some of the 02's had issues with their TCM going bad. Most members who had the issue just replaced them with one from a newer year. If you are confronted with that issue, easier to grab one from a junkyard if you have one near you, rather than have to have a new one programmed.

A lot of members also carry a spare ignition switch, and a low beam relay. :wink:

Cheers-

Chris

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I did not have the fan clutch wrench and my pipe wrench was too thick to use. I found the correct fan clutch wrench and hub bolt holder kit at Amazon and got the kit today. Perfect fit and will make the job way easier. Likely doing on Christmas or the day after. Will be 50's and 60's here then.

Reactions: Mooseman

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Ok, tore it all down and replaced the water pump and water outlet, thermostat today. I had received help and suggestions here and at you tube. Still got gobs of skin scrapes and blood flow a couple time. Tight for my arms and hands. Unbolting the fan blade from the fan clutch is the trick but is still tight to get out and back in. The biggest PITA was the transmission cooling lines that attached at the fan shroud. Constant pressure of the metal lines wanting to reset themselves back in their clips on the shroud. Hidden bolt on the water outlet and at the bracket to remove alternator. Got 'em though. The following is scrape pics:

Attachments

• 20221226_181412.jpg
    20221226_181412.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221226_181432.jpg
    20221226_181432.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221226_181749.jpg
    20221226_181749.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221226_181803.jpg
    20221226_181803.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 6

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, you've got the same feral cat that we all have living under our hoods.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
  • Haha
Reactions: movietvet

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
The worst it was, was when I had it all unbolted and I was lining them up to pull up and out and then something snags and you can't relax grip to adjust and you just bite the bullet and pull and scrape and tear and cut...such is life.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online