New Head Unit won't turn on

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Alright guys, so yesterday i bought a new head unit from my friend.. its a low end one (i was looking to spend alot) Anyway:
-I bought a harness from the auto parts store for 1998 - 2008 GM.
-I connected all the wires the the same colors.
-Turn on the truck, nothing happends.. :frown:

My questions:
-Could it be the wrong harness?? this is what im thinking. Im not sure why the radio isnt even turning on!! i checked the fuse and its fine..

i was searchng around on the forum and im wonering if this is the harness in need??
*NEW* GM-4004 & GM-A36 CAR RADIO FACTORY WIRING HARNESS & ANTENNA ADAPTER GM | eBay

Any help from you guys is more than appreciated, as always
Thanks alot!! Dan

Also, here are the pics of the thinkgs im working with

Attachments

• 0418121155.jpg
    0418121155.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 0418121155a.jpg
    0418121155a.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 87

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
03TB93 said:
Could it be the wrong harness?? this is what im thinking. Im not sure why the radio isnt even turning on!! i checked the fuse and its fine..

*assuming that you don't have bose*

The red wire (in that 98-08 harnesses you're using), that connects to the radios red wire, doesn't do anything. The red wire from the radio should be hooked up to a switched battery source. If you want to confirm this, you can temporarily wire the red wire and yellow wire of the radio to the yellow wire of the harness. The radio should turn on (and stay on lol).

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
MAY03LT said:
*assuming that you don't have bose*

The red wire (in that 98-08 harnesses you're using), that connects to the radios red wire, doesn't do anything. The red wire from the radio should be hooked up to a switched battery source. If you want to confirm this, you can temporarily wire the red wire and yellow wire of the radio to the yellow wire of the harness. The radio should turn on (and stay on lol).

Hey drew thanks for the quick response!! soo is this the right harness?? and also, are you saying that i can connect BOTH red and yellow wires that come off the new HU to the yellow wire that is coming off the harness???

And what do i do to make it stay? like if this does make it turn on, what is the fixed way to wire it?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
03TB93 said:
are you saying that i can connect BOTH red and yellow wires that come off the new HU to the yellow wire that is coming off the harness???

Yes, for a quick test only though.

And what do i do to make it stay? like if this does make it turn on, what is the fixed way to wire it?

Let's make sure that it works first:yes::biggrin:

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Yes, for a quick test only though.

Let's make sure that it works first:yes::biggrin:

lol ya thats my problem, i cant even get the GD thing to turn on. :crazy: But i will try that. why doesnt it work when you connect red to red??

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
03TB93 said:
why doesnt it work when you connect red to red??

The red wire might work in other GMs, but not ours. The factory radios in ours don't have a switched power source. The factory radio receives a turn on request through the trucks data line. Those pricy adapters that you see include a module that can read that same data request and turn on a circuit that can power up an aftermarket radio.

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
MAY03LT said:
The red wire might work in other GMs, but not ours. The factory radios in ours don't have a switched power source. The factory radio receives a turn on request through the trucks data line. Those pricy adapters that you see include a module that can read that same data request and turn on a circuit that can power up an aftermarket radio.

ooooooo ok. dam thanks for the info. Ha. (your hopefully saving me 65$$ that best buy wanted to do the install for).. not to get ahead of myself, but what if it does turn on? than what do i do with that red wire? also, do we need antena adapters to fit in aftermarket HU's??

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
03TB93 said:
not to get ahead of myself, but what if it does turn on? than what do i do with that red wire?

Then you'll have to tap a switched 12v source that will connect to the red wire of the radio (not the harness) and that will turn the radio on/off with they key.

also, do we need antena adapters to fit in aftermarket HU's??

Yes sir.:frown:

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
ok cool. so could i run the red wire to another positive wire and solder them together?? or is there another way you would recommend??

Also, do you know of anywhere that sells our antena adaptors besides online?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
03TB93 said:
ok cool. so could i run the red wire to another positive wire and solder them together?? or is there another way you would recommend??

Absolutely. I follow the procedure in the first post here:

http://gmtnation.com/f23/battery-positive-voltage-switched-power-2037/

Just make sure to do the yellow/red test first before you do all that.:cool:

Also, do you know of anywhere that sells our antena adaptors besides online?

I've seen them at Walmarts and autozone.

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
cool drew thanks alot for the help man. im gonna see if i can get it to work tomorrow. :hail:
theres no reason it shouldnt work, right??? :confused:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
03TB93 said:
cool drew thanks alot for the help man. im gonna see if i can get it to work tomorrow. :hail:
theres no reason it shouldnt work, right??? :confused:

No prob Dan keep us posted!!!:cool:

The only thing guaranteed is....cake!! Seriously though you should be good.:yes:

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
lol thanks man. and 1 last question.. do i need to ground the black wire? or is that only if i have Subs?? if so, where would you ground it too? it has to be a metal ground correct?
thanks again

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Yeah there should be a black wire in the harness, that will work fine.:yes:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Absolutely. I follow the procedure in the first post here:

http://gmtnation.com/f23/battery-positive-voltage-switched-power-2037/

Just make sure to do the yellow/red test first before you do all that.:cool:

If you're anything like me and dont want to tap into a factory harness, the roadie posted a list of fuses you can tap into in that same thread. I'm using the rain sensor fuse for mine. Just run the wire under the dash, down the kick panel, and under the trim pieces on the drivers side. You will need to extend the wire tho, the one that comes with it isnt long enough.

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
hey guys,, i actually just got it in now. works pretty good except the radio sometimes comes in staticy.. and also my right driver side speaker is not loud when it cranks all the way up... :hissyfit: any suggestions guys?? thanks again for the help.
-I checked the wire for the front right speaker but it didnt seem to work..
Also for the static.. Is it because its just a shitty HU?? lol. thats probly what i get for going cheap.. :frown:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I've had a few GMs (including my TB) where the antenna adapter didn't have enough "bite" into the factory antenna and gave it crappy reception. That's where I'd start before condemning the head unit.

There are two speakers in each front door, a crappy midrange and a crappy tweeter. One could blow and you wouldn't notice it until you were evaluating the stereo like you are now.

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
MAY03LT said:
I've had a few GMs (including my TB) where the antenna adapter didn't have enough "bite" into the factory antenna and gave it crappy reception. That's where I'd start before condemning the head unit.

There are two speakers in each front door, a crappy midrange and a crappy tweeter. One could blow and you wouldn't notice it until you were evaluating the stereo like you are now.

So whatd u do about the antenna in that case?
And is there a way to tell if it blew without testing a new one?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
03TB93 said:
So whatd u do about the antenna in that case?

In mine, I verified that it was the adapter by wiggling the connection where the gm antenna goes in with the radio on. Then I swapped in one from another GM I have and it worked fine. So I knew I had a crappy adapter.

03TB93 said:
And is there a way to tell if it blew without testing a new one?

Before I had a couple "test" speakers, I would swap the suspected speaker with the one from the opposite door. There is a lot more time involved doing it this way, but IMO it sure beats buying a new speaker and hoping for the best.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online