New head unit ordered....the start of a sickness.

charger22

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Just ordered and Kenwood excelon KDC-x797. Very excited first time I have done a radio in a long time not too happy about the harness cost but will get over it. Was going to go with some bestbuy/Walmart specials but glad I went better. Start with a good brain and go from there.

Next will be looking into a five Chanel amp and speakers. Probably components but will see.

Will document as I go.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Mind if i ask how much you paid for it? Our shop is looking into doing some online sales and we have that radio on sale for 160$

charger22

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
ghenny440 said:
Mind if i ask how much you paid for it? Our shop is looking into doing some online sales and we have that radio on sale for 160$

Well made me look like a tool...paid 210

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
charger22 said:
Well made me look like a tool...paid 210

Dang!! We have the 997 on sale for 200$, sorry man, bose or non bose, if non bose go with the lcgmrc01 its like 60$

charger22

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Is that the harness? They got 120.00 out of me for it. I saw them online for around 100 so I knew they were getting a little premium off me but didn't think it was that much. Non bose.

charger22

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
So that is a harness that by passes the On-star(doesn't provide those connections) but everything else stays active and factory connected? Wish I had seen that as well. Wow thought I went in there a little prepared.....guess not.

Will definitely be taking any further questions here before I go there again.

charger22

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Just got a phone call from the shop I was using where they sales man told me he was getting ready to order everything I need and there was some "control module" that was an additional $200.00. Looks like I have my out. Tried doing business with these guys but this seems to be getting out of hand now.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
I dont know of any control module that costs 200$ for the radio, even the one thats has bose, onstar and rear seat entertainment we sell for 165$

charger22 said:
Is that the harness? They got 120.00 out of me for it. I saw them online for around 100 so I knew they were getting a little premium off me but didn't think it was that much. Non bose.

Yep and dealer cost from metra is only 39$ so, dont let them bullshit you

We sell the aswc1 for steering wheel control for 80$ if thats what they are trying to pull on you

charger22

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Been wait for your response....thanks! Going in tomorrow to end my relationship with that dealer. Will probably start shopping on line. Sonic electronics offer the harness you introduced me to for 40.00. Seems like they can offer more at a better value. I am doing the install my self anyways. Looked at some of your work though, looks great!

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Just sent a pm dude

Thanks im getting ready to start the glassing of the doors and stage 2 of my amp rack soon, plus getting my bosses crx ready for our 2nd lo ations grand opening show/ sound comp

htseat2000

Jan 25, 2013
ghenny440 said:
Dang!! We have the 997 on sale for 200$, sorry man, bose or non bose, if non bose go with the lcgmrc01 its like 60$

I am looking into upgrading my stereo. what harness would go with a bose system to retain chimes, onstar and steering wheel controls. I have a jvc flip up screen to install along with alpine components fo front doors and rear doors.

htseat2000

Jan 25, 2013
ghenny440 said:
Ok... and does it also have rear seat entertainment

when you say rear seat entertainment you mean rear A/C controls and head phone jack to where back seat can listen to something different than the front seat? if you mean by that then yes I have rear seat entertainment.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
If i recall right i got my Clarion CX702 for $199 and the module they needed was $100...i mostly ended up paying for labor due to having no indoor work space atm....and before you say do it outside...you try doing something like that at -30 lol No Thanks!

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
htseat2000 said:
I am looking into upgrading my stereo. what harness would go with a bose system to retain chimes, onstar and steering wheel controls. I have a jvc flip up screen to install along with alpine components fo front doors and rear doors.

ghenny440 said:
Gmos014 i believe we sell it at my shop for like 160-175$ something like that

If I have the same as above (bose), but without the flip down DVD player. What adapters would I need to retain door chimes and steering wheel controls?

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
You could use a gmos 04 for the harness but i dont think the rear headphones will work anymore, so i believe the gmos014 and an aswc1 for the steering wheel controls for sure,

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Same as above gmos014 and an aswc1, pac modules suck to program for steering wheel controls

charger22

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Ghenny, Why is it the LC model and not the standard Gmrc01 that I need by passing the on star? The LC stands for low current correct will I still get the performance out of the Kenwood Exceleon decks?

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Deffinately will, this is my go to harness for those with non bose, with or without onstar, but wanna keep chimes, and lcgmrc01 is the newer oversion usb updateable and more compact, i dont believe it means low current, but i may be wrong, either how i have it in my truck on my DDX790

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
24v you need gmos014 and an aswc1, good thing about the gmos014 is that the aswc1 will be plug and play, except for programming, and that is nothing more than using the supplied resistor( be careful when opening the package it in there and easily lost) between the brown wire for the aswc1 and the steering wheel wire on the kenwood, and rapidly( i mean fast as hell) tapping the volume up button, you also get reverse wire if you run a backup camera later no extra power wire from the reverse light to the radio, just the camera video wire

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
ghenney440, where is your shop? I'm in Northwest Ohio. Do you have a website with some of your work?

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
B's car stereo, you can check out our facebook page, (picture is all of the guys from the shop standing in front of it) We are in cobblestone square elyria ohio down the road from LCCC

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Charger, have you decided what you are using for door speakers? If you go Polk Audio ( I only deal with Polk speakers) go with the 6501 components up front and 652 coaxials in back. I had a set of 6502's up front but the tweeters were way to sharp and I couldn't even turn it down with tuning in the headunit. The older ones worked better and perfectly matched the rear speakers even with the crossover on +0db. I just had to turn down the highs, so make you you have at least a 10 band eq.

Now they sound like I am in a concert all the time, especially with my 4-ch amp. Everyone that rides in my vehicle has a huge grin on their face every time so must be something right there.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This a very old and dead thread. I doubt very much you'll get a response.

Reactions: Blckshdw

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Wow, didn't even notice. Some how it came up in the new posts section, or I need more sleep and followed a link to it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175