New Guy from Maryland

GeckoEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Hey all!
Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone, as well as help others and learn from all :smile:
First off, I'm Dennis and I'm 19, in college majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I've always been a car guy, so it's mostly why i'm majoring in that.
I have a 2003 Gmc Envoy XL SLE that my parents bought new back in 2003. Basically my parents gave the truck to me when I got my license lol. Currently is has about 150,000 miles on it and it is running strong still.
Parts that were replaced over the years with my dad:
- Mufflers, Headers (Still has exhaust leak, but we sealed it up)
- Bearings
- Coils
- Suspension, both front and rear
- Headlight housings
- Fuel Pump
- Heater cores, both front and rear
- Fan Clutch
- Power Steering
- Transfer Case Motor
- Water Pump
- 3rd Brake light
- Drivers side reverse light (Some teenagers smacked into the bumper and ran off, luckily there was a witness) Damage is still seen on the bumper though.
- Rear Glass (Shattered because the shocks on the glass were old and getting sticky, I pushed a little to hard when opening it)
- Exhaust Cam Position Actuator Solenoid (Still leaks some oil)

I'm pretty sure there's some other stuff, I just can't remember lol

Interior:
-Aftermarket Speakers
-Added a JBL Subwoofer 12"
-Aftermarket Headunit
-Added backup camera

Overall the truck runs smoothly. I literally grew up in this truck and I love it. Hope I can learn from others and provide help as much as I can!
-Dennis

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Welcome.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Welcome!

You aren't my doppelganger by any chance?
Same age, same model year, same state, etc.
I'll be studying at UMBC this fall, so perhaps our vehicles will cross paths at some point. :thumbsup:

If you haven't already, check out the "Member Map". There's a few other Marylanders on here.

Reactions: CaptainKD

GeckoEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Thank you all! I will post pictures soon, truck is currently dirty so I'll find some pics.

gpking said:
Welcome!

You aren't my doppelganger by any chance?
Same age, same model year, same state, etc.
I'll be studying at UMBC this fall, so perhaps our vehicles will cross paths at some point. :thumbsup:

If you haven't already, check out the "Member Map". There's a few other Marylanders on here.
I probably am lol! I'm actually studying at Penn State, but I come home frequently, so maybe I'll see you on the road :biggrin:
And I will take a look at the Member map!

GeckoEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1078]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1077]

That's pretty much all the pics I have now, I'll add another one this Friday when time allows :smile:

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Welcome!
waving.gif

swede

Jun 22, 2014
A big Welcome from the Swedish chef

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Welcome to the Nation! Glad to have you on board!

When you're ready, let us know you've changed the Transfer Case fluid every 50,000 miles, and the differentials at 100,000 miles.

Curious, I've not seen many comments on failing power steering. Was it a leak, or failure?

GeckoEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Thanks again!

Robbabob said:
Welcome to the Nation! Glad to have you on board!

When you're ready, let us know you've changed the Transfer Case fluid every 50,000 miles, and the differentials at 100,000 miles.

Curious, I've not seen many comments on failing power steering. Was it a leak, or failure?
Oh I forgot, the differential fluids were changed around 110,000. I'll have to check about the Transfer Case.

As for the power steering, I noticed that the car was getting harder to steer during later fall of 2013, but I thought it was normal because I had it in A4WD (lots of rain and snow during that time). Then one day it was reallyyy hard to steer, so I asked if my dad could finally drive to 'feel' it. It was just a failure, after the new one was put in the steering was smooth as silk.

Reactions: Robbabob

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
GeckoEnvoy said:
I thought it was normal because I had it in A4WD (lots of rain and snow during that time).
The heavy experts in 4x4 say never to drive it A4WD as the blah blah plates (or what ever they are called) will go out. They suggest getting good tires on the truck and leaving it in 2wd or using 4HI when conditions warrant. I am no expert, so one of them will chime in to add advice on this.

Thanks for the info on the power steering! Glad it worked out.

Reactions: GeckoEnvoy

GeckoEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Robbabob said:
The heavy experts in 4x4 say never to drive it A4WD as the blah blah plates (or what ever they are called) will go out. They suggest getting good tires on the truck and leaving it in 2wd or using 4HI when conditions warrant. I am no expert, so one of them will chime in to add advice on this.

Thanks for the info on the power steering! Glad it worked out.
A4WD only kicks in the front wheels when the rear wheels start slipping. Although, driving it in 4HI on dry pavement for a long time can cause damage, worse if in 4Lo. But that's just from what I've read with my dad. Transfer case is still fine.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Welcome aboard!

People have lost control due to the A4WD kicking in and suddenly gripping when you're already try to deal with a bad driving situation.

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
From what I've read on here there's an undersized bearing in the t-case. That bearing sometimes fails when in AWD. It's caused from the front tires engaging and disengaging when going back and forth from dry to wet pavement. They ended up coming out with an updated bearing because of all of the failures. That's why it's recommended to not even use AWD. You won't have that problem if you're in 4hi. Just use it when you need to and put it back into 2wd when making sharp turns on dry pavement to prevent crow hopping.

One of the guru's can explain it better than I can.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Welcome

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online