New (COMPLETE KIT) "GYMKO" GM Tech 2 Scan Tool

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I'm in the hunt for one of these GM Tech II After Market (Chinese?) Scan Tools... and assuming that the low price is due to it just being the main Unit that carries the Modules... What else besides this item ...what other Parts & Pieces would be required ...just for my 2004 to 4L60E CASE Relearn and ordinary OBD-II Diagnostics and updates for the 2002 PCM?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZBR1FP/?tag=gmtnation-20

Reactions: TB2004

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You need as bare minimum the unit, Candi interface with OBD cable, OBD adapter for the cable, serial to network cable, battery power cable or lighter plug cable, memory card for GM vehicles. If you look at other listings on Aliexpress, you basically need everything except the case, CD's and the other funky OBD adapters.

That link you posted showed nobody selling any on Amazon.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Yes... For certain... I was really just trying to get a feel if there was a more comprehensive deal. somewhere; perhaps one that would include the PCMCIA card(s) that covered the Trailblazer from 2002>, etc. Your suggestion looks like one that fits the bill perfectly... although I've never heard about this vendor...and with an offer that comes to only about 10% of what the GM Tech II Dealership Package would cost, (since it also seems to come with (6) Service Cards)... it almost looks too damned good to be true.

@djthumper once mentioned on another occasion that the after-market Tech-II Units were available for "..a couple of hundred dollars..." and while THIS offer is around $300.00 or so... it actually does come in close to being around "Two Bills" when you consider that without your own unit just to do a CASE Relearn... A Dealership version runs at near to $100.00 .... so he is absolutely right.

So right now... Before I pull my itchy trigger finger and start shooting the place up... I'd like to know whether or not I'm holding Wild Bill's Poker Hand of "Aces and Eights"... What is your considered opinion?...and is this one like yours (or is yours the GM OEM Kosher Version)?

Thanks for looking at this...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...-3c1a-460f-a034-ed38ef3b1564&rmStoreLevelAB=3

By the way... Here is the link to the GM OEM flavor PDF of the Tech II ...for anyone curious about all of its features are why they are so damned exclusive:

http://www.obd2be.com/download/gm-tech-2-user-manual.pdf

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Okay... I think I have all of this HW sorted out now... THIS Item:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...-3c1a-460f-a034-ed38ef3b1564&rmStoreLevelAB=3

...is priced as a Complete Tech-II Package and available by making a SINGLE CHOICE OF A VEHICLE MANUFACTURER-SPECIFIC PCMCIA Card included during the Checkout Procedures...(The Chinese Vendor allows you to choose just (1) of whichever platform you want that is serviceable by the OEM GM Tech II ...as a "Color" choice....(...so..Color Mine "GM", Please...). You can understand the problem of trying to convert from their Native Chinese over to English and that their expressions may be a bit difficult to decipher. But the crux of what else is needed also involves selecting a separate CD with the TIS2000 (2016 flavor); which also includes the USB Dongle necessary to be plugged into your Laptop Computer. This item is a must ...so that the software can be recognized and installed from the Laptop Computer into what I am going to refer to from now on as:

The GMKO (General Motors Knock Off) Tech II Unit (Nickname = "GYMKO")

That CD/Dongle item MUST be purchased at the same time... although IT comes from a different vendor called OBD Fox ...and only costs $11.00. The entire combined order came to just over $300.00 after a 5% Discount ...with FREE S&H from two separate locations and will arrive asymmetrically within the next 7-20 days. So just keep in mind that without the TIS2000 (2016) Software AND the USB Dongle to make it work.. .this "GYMKO" Package will become nothing more than an interesting conversation piece on your cocktail table... :>)

When it all gets here... I'll do an un-boxing post message with a video on my Youtube Channel of it and attempt to install the software on my "WinDo$e" Dell Precision M65 Workstation Laptop. If that works out well... when the time comes to put a New Battery into the 2002 Trailblazer and tell the PCM to... "Wakey, Wakey... Eggs and Bakey"... I'll hook it all up...and see if the damned thing even works. If it does... When all is said and done... I'll write up an objective review of how it behaves. :>)

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Look for one without the case. They're bulky and break. I just use an old laptop bag. Perfect and free (for me). And you really do only need just the one memory card for GM. And if ever you need another, for like Saab, they're cheap enough.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Looking forward to seeing a vid of you unboxing and installing the software on it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I think I'll subscribe to this thread; I'd really like to get one of these, so hopefully things turn out well for the OP.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You guys do know there's a "watch" button on top, right? :biggrin:

So you guys wondering about the purchase itself or the Tech 2's abilities?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You guys do know there's a "watch" button on top, right? :biggrin:

So you guys wondering about the purchase itself or the Tech 2's abilities?

Yep, I hit the 'watch' button...I guess I was being a post wh*re creating a message about doing it. Although that tends to be fairly 'normal' online behavior, IMHO.

And I'm keeping tabs to see how the purchase goes; I know there's no better device available than a Tech2 (not even the Snap-On tools).

Had a bad experience with something I bought from mainland China a few years back - I got an item, but not what I ordered, and no way to get what I ordered. Was out $200 - wasn't happy, to say the least. Not auto / parts related, btw.

Hopefully, @MRRSM 's purchase goes more smoothly :smile:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah... And since I'm #1 on The Guinea Pig China Express Runway... Before my "Tech-II flight" takes off in about 7-20 Days... knowing if there are any Pot Holes to avoid out there in Chinese Tech-II airspace... Before I'm "Wheels Up" ...and then up to my A** in trouble with this New "GYMKO" System... any and all arcane knowledge and hints about how to make sure it will work ....right out of the box... would be very much appreciated... :>)

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
IIRC, Mooseman purchased his from China - so the odds are that the transaction will go just fine. While not a 'perfect' e-commerce site, it looks a lot better than the one I ordered my item from.

I can't contribute a thing to actually *using* it...sorry :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, just have a read at my
Clone purchase review

Absolutely no problem with the purchase. These Tech 2 do have one issue and that's with the internal voltage regulator where it reboots the unit whe you start the engine. There is a workaround:
FIX: Tech 2 reboots if engine started

Check the top of this section for Stickies with lots of info.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Seems a hit or miss on the Chinese Clones. Most work just fine from what I've been reading since yesterday when this thread got me curious.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Capote... You and Me BOTH... When I started this thread ...it was over in the "AMAZON" slot were I first spied the data and wanted to look into it. But after it tumbled deeper down into the Tech II Rabbit Hole... I asked for a MOD to move it to a better Sub-Forum ( courtesy @Mooseman) and I only just read the TECH-II Sticky and other related stuff this evening.

So anyways.. Me doing an Un-Boxing Video, or follow-p etc...etc... and providing any break down of this HW would simply be me "Plowing another Man's Field". Besides that... based upon that thick list of experienced GMTN Owners of Chinese and OEM Tech II Clones mentioned there... The best sources for information about them already exists over at @Mooseman 's links listed above ...so they should probably be consulted first hand ...as well as @Mooseman ...to answer any relevant questions about the "GYMKO" Kit.

The one thing I would say though is that many of the complaints or problems that go back as far as 2015 documented in those earlier postings MAY have since been rectified and it might worth prowling that purchase link I have in the upper listed links to 'ALIHoozitz' site to read up on any and all of the updates involving either their PCMCIA Cards and TIS SW ...as they may solve some of those Older Issues... or describe the presence of any New HW that will now work with their Tech-II Clones. At the very least ...The Chinese do perform updates along the way. I will still let everybody know whether this thing gets here safe sound ...or not.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The big problem was the reboot on engine start. I surely hope they have fixed this annoying issue especially since some tests and functions require starting the engine in the middle of the test.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Not to kill any interest in what I am about to undertake after making this purchase… but there is a lot of information on the Internet that can bring these “GYMKO” Tech-IIs up front and much closer for anyone curious to inspect this system at an Arm’s Length:

I’m not sure if this information also translates over to the “GYMKO” flavor of the Tech-II Units...but worth reading just the same:

http://www.autodiagnosticobd.com/ne...m-tech2-err-auto-diagnostic-service-1113.html

...and here is a Private Blogger covering a lot of information that might be general enough to have the same kind of value:

http://gm-tech2.blogspot.com/

These “GYMKO” Type Tech-IIs are not as rare or unavailable as some folks might think… I Googled (via DuckDuckGo) the expression: WHOLESALE TECH-2 and when selecting for just Images… these appeared...and with quite a variation on Who is making Which Ones… Where ...in China… I can see where it might turn out to be a Crap Shoot where Luck is the deciding factor on whether or not you are purchasing one that works with stability and is as Bug and Problem Free as possible:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=WHOLESALE+TECH-2&t=hj&atb=v83-3&iax=images&iar=images&ia=images

And as for Un-Boxing a “GYMKO” Unit… this video is less that flattering:

And a comparison between the “GYMKO” Clone Tech-II vs. the GM OEM Tech-II

This Video well and truly bears out @Capote 's understanding of just how variable these Chinese Tech-IIs can be. This one shows an excellent Complete Tear Down, Repair & Rebuild and a description of "How To Repair the Problem of WHY Some “GYMKO” Tech-II Units will NOT Power Up". And for @Mooseman in particular... What this VOP Tech says about his R&R of the DC-To-DC Power Unit that he installs and replaces and solders onto the Main Board as a Better Quality Item with all (6) Pins instead of the mere (5) that the Busted, Factory Knock Off Heatsink covered Component originally put in during its manufacturing in China ... just might be the answer to your question about the "Reboot During Re-Start" problem that possibly involves issues with THIS particular component:

… and basically there are a whole lot more of these “How-To-Program the Tech-II” for specific things shown in Training Videos at the bottom of this page:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chinese+tech2

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
'Yep, I had seen the write ups and video about that fix but just didn't have the guts to open mine up. I'll just pull the lighter plug fuse and power it externally.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If I can find that MORNSUN VRB1205LD-15W... or the MORNSUN VRB1205LD-15W2.... or even one of the RECON REC10-1205S/H2/M...flavors of the DC-2-DC Converters... I'm going to order one of them...just to have it on hand. I have a lot of experience doing small soldering component-to-breadboard jobs...and this one looks very straightforward, indeed:

http://www.mornsun-power.com/uploads/pdf/VRA(B)_LD-15W.pdf

EDIT:
Hmmm Found it... (Just Under $20.00 with Free S&H) Ordered it...(1) Piece...Fast & Easy On-Line Transaction... (After all... I DO have an AliExpress Account now that I've purchased their "GYMCO" Tech-II Complete Kit) ... LOL:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc..._expid=b74c39ed-0239-4a29-a6e2-3411c2294926-1

I also like the idea of cleaning up the Main Logic Board of any left-over soldering detritus and Acidic Flux and being able to get a good look at the other primary solder-on components (PCMCIA Slot and RS-45 and RS-232 connectors). According to the Date showing on his Tech-II Blue Screen during the VOP's Diagnostic Tech-II Boot-Up and Loop-Back Checks, he made this Video on September 27th, 2017.... so that gives me encouragement that these DC-2-DC components will still be available. I have done something similar with resurrecting a Dead Instrument Cluster for the 2002 TB long ago... and it worked like a charm.

These Dark Green Logic Boards are usually 'Built to The Hilt' ...so they should be able to be repaired with little fanfare. It is truly remarkable how little Micro-Processing Technology with handful of capacitors are actually ON the Damned Thing ...considering how much the OEM GM Versions cost. It is very cool to see this entire device being De-mystefied on that video.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well these did come out 20 years ago so that would explain the tech in these but were cutting edge when they came out.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Please don't misunderstand me... I've been in awe of the damned thing since I purchased a new Purple Pearl Metallic 1993 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 when the Original Tech-I Models could be seen in the hands of the GM Technicians way back when the car was still Showroom New... and I started Jones-ing for one of those 'Devils with the Blue Screens On' even way back then.

I am simply saying that GM, Hewlett Packard and only few other companies held a Monopoly on these damned machines...and likewise... they had their Customer Base held up by their Short & Curlies and their Buster Browns... because you simply cannot do diagnostics and change parameters without this Special Tool... at least not the way it SHOULD be done. And finally being able to do that without remaining a GM hostage ...seems very important to me.

But at their most basic electronic architecture ...these devices are really not that sophisticated... its the Programming on the PCMCIA Cards and any on-board programmable PROMs and CMOS and few Chips that makes these things very clever. And even now... I am not certain whether or not I will be to use it on my 1993 Camaro because it features an OBD1 ECM with EEPROM Chip vs. the programmable 1995> OBD-II PCM.

I have two of these unique 1992 Corvette style ECMS and few EEPROM Chips to play around with and the other Chip Burning SW and Gear necessary to write the proper .BIN for my eventual installation of 1995 350 LT-1 Engine (under delay as a build). With the LT-4 Hot-Cam going in the new motor...the .BIN Burn will need a customization ...just to get the vehicle docile enough to idle and not stall out with the factory 24 LPH EFIs in place and the Stock ECM. Anyways... I really would like it to work on the 93' and be able to read the parameters I have inside all of these Chips along with the two ECMs ... But more importantly ...is how it behaves when finally attached to the 2002 Tralblazer after the 2004 Engine is installed

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
To answer @Capote ‘s request or address his curiosity about what the actual installation of the TIS2000 Software looks like… Here you go:

THIS Video is from an OEM Tech II Seller called "Vetronix" (Bosch?) and gives a good overview for "The Professional Mechanic" in the small repair shop environment and who probably spent a bundle for their Hardware and Software. The sheer amount of STUFF this "GYMKO" Tech-II device can perform when compared to all of the other the General Purpose OBD2 Scanners is quite simply ...STAGGERING!:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well I can say that mine has been a godsend with all the stuff it can do. Basically having the power to do almost anything and thumbing your nose at the dealer. Heck, mine has paid itself off by posting an ad and diagnosing stuff for people. They are very appreciative of the service for only a quarter of what the stealership charges. I've even learned that I can delete the C6 Corvette magnetic ride system when the shocks are replaced with regular ones.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I thought this would be a good place to pause and mention some observations that have come to mind over the last few days of my Diving into the Deep End of the “GYMKO” Swimming Pool that are very interesting to me. First… Thanks to @Mooseman as the Main Anchor to the “Good Ship “GYMKO” … we have a decent Sub-Forum he started that is expressly for the GM Tech-II Vertronix and Clones thereafter ...so ALL of the important Threads and Posts that can be found there (...I’ve been reading and referring to them from top to bottom many times over the last few days).

I mention this only because right along with just about two handfuls of GMTN Members who actually OWN and use this amazing scanner… Hell, you can almost cover up that entire page of dense GM Tech-II Information with the palm of your hand. Think about that for a second… of the many thousands of the faithful GMTN Membership… only the smallest fraction of us will actually look into the possibility of ownership and even dare to read about having this device and sub-equipment… let alone actually owning and holding one in our hands! Its like watching an Orphan Waif in winter ...pressing his frozen face up to the warm window of a Fancy Restaurant… and watching all those Goodies... just out of reach on the other side of the glass!

THAT reality is a sad indictment of the arbitrary nature of “Price and Availability” and the bloated economics that started this nightmare with the Dealerships that has guaranteed an ungodly amount of revenue to grease their entire second tier money-making machinery. For many decades...they have had the means to control the automotive destinies of many hundreds of thousands of men and women... who just want to get their Cars, Trucks and SUVs to run right and stay that way… and without going Bankrupt to do so.

It is clearly understood… that once you raise the hood on your GM Vehicle, trying to solve breakdowns involving the complex ECM and PCM system controlled problems with the average scanners and programs turns them all into mere Moon-Cast Shadows when compared to what is possible to do with ANY version of the GM Tech-II Units ...and all of the Clones.

After reading one posts in the TECH-2 Forum dated from around 2013… the Member mentioned investigating the possibility of getting one of these units and he found one “On Sale” back then for the “Very Low. Low price of $4,000.00 Plus!” Hell ...you could buy a Re-manufactured Engine and have it installed for that much money! But the simple fact is that Right Now...this no longer the case.

Right Now...They are now out there and available in quantity and selling in the ranges of $300-$550… ostensibly Manufactured on the same GM OEM Design by only two main Chinese Companies for the creation of the Main Logic Boards inside of them. And these deals also can come with most or all of the accessories included in the package. So by doing some clever shopping around… the right deals for these packages can be found. Now I do realize that not everybody has even that much money in their pockets at any given time… but those much lower prices should do more to encourage you rather than just tantalize you about the possibility of getting one costing many thousands of dollars.

FWIW… The one I am getting also had the TIS2000-USB-Dongle separately on sale as well... AND after watching that “GYMKO” R&R Video that describes a High Quality DC-to-DC (6) Pin Power Converter for just under $20.00 with Free S&H… from the Same Vendor. I had no trouble getting that sale to go through and upon returning to the initial site to purchase that last item… My PW protected account bore secondary CC Security Procedures that gave me even more confidence that all of these items will arrive in perhaps a month or so in “Good Order”.

One last thing worth mentioning here is this… I’m not a Drinker or a Smoker… (I’d be long dead by now if I was…) But if you need to budget or cut back on some things that are doing you more harm than good in the long run… and instead… put aside some of the money you would spend on Beer and Cigarettes into a “GYMKO TECH-II FUND” Mason Jar… you might be pleasantly surprised at how soon you would have enough cash on hand to support purchasing one of these things.

I Cannot Thank @Mooseman enough for gathering all of the requisite information and instructions on how to use these devices… and for pointing me in the right direction to make this even possible. I cannot wait for its arrival! Oh...and here is another Tech-2 User Guide to browse through while you think about what could be possible when you actually own one of these, too… and THIS one is updated from 2005 and is also in Color with great Tables and Graphics... :>)

http://auto-diagnostics.info/pdf/tech2_users_guide.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Capote

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is just an update on the cascade of what happens after a Member-Joins-> Purchase->Order->Shipping and-> Follow-Up from "AliExpress" for anyone concerned about how this entire process has been evolving:

I just checked my Emails for anything from the AliExpress Company... and their Email Responses are Superb! They sent four separate confirmation notifications on Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 concerning my New Membership and included cross-checks necessary from my end to confirm my Email address on their website for added security on my AliExpress Membership Account.

They also confirmed that the GM PCMCIA & Complete "GYMKO" Kit, as well as the Separate Order for the TIS2000 Software and Required USB Security Dongle ...have already been shipped on 12/03/17...with an ETA at my front door via DHL on or around Sunday, December 17th, 2017.

The Last Item Order for the DC-2-DC Power Converter will be delayed for (8) Eight Days... pending the time it take AliExpress to obtain the one electronic component via their in-country distribution services. You can't ask for much more than that, Huh?... considering that this all involves Free S&H, too...

I Like It! :>.)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have had less problems (read "no problems") with AliExpress than Amazon or eBay. I think they worked hard at making their marketplace a safe ans viable place to.shop.

I have also ordered the DC-DC regulator and will try my hand at replacing it as the current workaround is a real PITA.

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Bought my first "clone-II" in like '11. Died a short while after. Bought another one from a different vendor. Died a different way a year or so later. Did manage to blend the two together though, and now have somewhat of one working one!! If you REALLY want to give yourself a headache some time, trying switching LCD's from one to another. Especially when one version had a plug, and the other was soldered in! :biggrin:

Still not sure if the CANdi module is to blame, or if it just doesn't like my newer ('08) Sierra. Played well with my 01' Seville last I tried it. :shrug:

Anyhow, if you're in southern AB and have a massive need for one - I have one!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
EDIT: 12/07/2017 @12:30 PM

I just received a text message from the local DHL Carrier that the ETA for the "GYMKO" Tech-II and TIS2000 SW W/Dongle has been scheduled to arrive on 12/11/2017 by EOD... Bumped ahead by them from the original ETA of 12/17/17. I went on line to the DHL Shipping Management Screen and easily adjusted the date up to 12/12/2017 by EOD instead due to Dr's Appt conflict... Once again, this response from DHL bears out @Mooseman 's earlier comments about how reliable AliExpress have been in his experience...and so far...this has been echoed here with my own experience.

I Like It! :>)

This issue might be at the heart of any reluctance one might have in getting a “GYMKO” Tech-II Unit. But even if mine arrives in a completely DOA condition… I will not be worried about it in the slightest. Here is why:

Earlier...I used the expression “De-Mystify” when referring to the impressions made after watching the Video linked down below about the “GYMKO” Dis-Assembly-Assembly during the R&R over to the 15W 9-18 Volt-→ 5Volt @ 3,000 mA Power Converter. My confidence in the potential performance of the “GYMKO” Device went Sky High because of my understanding of how certain Solid State Electronic Board based components are manufactured.

I mentioned a distinction of the Main Logic Board as being “Dark Green” vs any “Pale Green” board residing inside of the “GYMKO” Unit. The reason for this goes back to my experience with having to learn how to scavenge parts and pieces of the earliest DOS and Windows based PC computers ever made… starting with the Original IBM Desktop Computers running at a mere 4.77 Mhz (That is right… Mega-Herz...NOT Giga-Herz) and gradually cycling on through the 8086 base designs for their gradual improvement over the generations that followed in the manner of speed... (286,386,486, 586-- ad infinitum). Along the way, I discovered that Main Board and Sub-Board components that were manufactured using the thicker Dark Green Phenolic Resins and Thicker Circuit Board Blue Print Architecture that had much more robust Gold Ribboning and Silkscreen methods for their designs, were invariably...Bullet Proof.

The Solid State Circuitry of those “Dark Green” components could attenuate much more heat and resist flexing and impacts that would cause their less robust brethren to fail with predictable regularity. But If you look inside something like that of a Mike Dell Server Machine… the Dell Precision 690 and T-7400 Server Work Stations for example, that kind of strength, sturdiness and resilience is quite obvious. And the reasons for this are simple: Companies relying upon such Machines for constant, hard and demanding service will NOT do regular business with a company whose products Fail at the Drop of a Hat.

When you get up close and personal with such technology and examine it with a Magnifying Glass...you can see that even Surface Mounted variety of Resistors, Capacitors, Coils and Tiny Diodes, etc. are also installed and soldered onto such boards with very solid connections, made thus for the sake of long life and consistent performance. However… There IS a weakness involving each and every one of these “Green Boards” that may or may not show itself over time when it comes down to their Peripheral Component Interfaces. These items are but a small fraction of the whole device and are usually attached or soldered onto the boards AFTER they arrive in distribution for sub-assembly… BASED UPON ADDITIONAL COST PER COMPONENTS CHOSEN BY THE CUSTOMER AND SLIGHT MODIFICATIONS DEPENDING UPON WHAT THE CUSTOMER EXPECTS FROM THE “GREEN BOARD” IN THE WAY OF ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY.

Now take this “GYMKO” Green Board for example … When compared to the GM OEM Vertronix one made by Hewlett Packard or Bosch, the GM OEM Green Main Logic Boards should have their Peripherals “Wave Soldered” onto their various connections; thereby making their builds much more consistent and reliable than having those peripherals Willy-Nilly Hand Soldered in place. The other differences of importance might also be in the aspect of the GM OEM Tech-II being able to investigate Vehicle Component Performances off of the vehicle and "On The Bench"; a very distinct advantage for a Mechanic to have. And if that feature is NOT present in the ”GYMKO” Tech-II… it will only be due to the the difference of one or two very small Surface Mounted Diodes and Resistors that COULD be enabled to allow for ordinarily SW Restricted ability of performing that Bi-Directional Communication necessary during Bench Checks and Tests of the GM sub-components. Still, even without having this feature working, it is not The End of The World for the “GYMKO”, considering it being priced at 1/12th that of the OEM HP Vertronix-Bosch Tech-II.

Nonetheless… I have read that some people have indeed spent their money on getting a New “GYMKO” System... only to have it arrive and once fired up… fail to ever operate again. Another complaint is the problem of having only partial Data Writes onto the PCM where the RS-232 Modem is running at somewhere between 300 and 1,200 BAUD Speed...and while the Data Write Progress is being times by the scrolling Dots walking slowly across the bottom of the blue screen… it suddenly Freezes. Obviously, these kinds of problems are very vexing, frustrating and disconcerting… BUT THEY ARE NOT BEING CAUSED BY ANYTHING FAILING WITHIN THE GREEN LOGIC BOARD, ITSELF!

The Real Culprits in this case invariably turn out to come from The Post Manufacture Installation of Peripheral and/or Power Components. And in that same Power Converter R&R Video, the VOP (Video Original Poster) shows you where each and every one of them are located. So by opening up the "GYMKO" Tech-II Case and performing a very careful (Non-Static Electricity), partial dis-assembly just as he did to gain access to the “Green Board”… you too can use a Magnifying Glass and inspect each and every one of the following components for signs of any poor soldering of specific contact points. They will reveal themselves where the specific problem contacts(s) are situated. Then, using a Fine Point Soldering Tip Iron, some Copper Mesh Solder Wick, some Liquid Flux, a small length of Non-Lead Fine Component Solder and a Tooth Brush with some CRC Electronic Circuit Cleaner spray, most or perhaps even all of any inoperative “GYMKO” Units can be revived and made perfectly serviceable once again: Here is a list of the Usual Suspects to examine for problems:

(1) The 10W 18V→5V @ 3k mA Power Converter (R&R to 15W 9-18V→5V @ 3k mA unit)
(2) External Power Connector
(3) VCI Main Board DLC Cable Interface & Tester Connector
(4) RS-232 Modem Connector
(5) PCMCIA Dual Card Holder Connector
(6) Mis-Aligned LED Screen to MOBO Ribbon Cables
(7) Failing LED Screen Inverter (Screen R&R via Common LED Unit)

Bear these items in mind when watching THIS:

Last edited:
Reactions: Beacon and Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For me, I used the KISS principle and installed XP SP3 on an old laptop that also has a serial port so no USB to serial adapter. Zero issues.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Agreed… I forgot to indicate that unlike Windows with open access to all COM Ports by default… All Linux and Unix based Operating Systems are totally restricted and do require a rather labyrinthine method to allow regular Users to perform COM Port TTY DB09 and DB15 Dial Outs. So I’m requesting that you move Message #31 over to my Off Topic Post called “The Friendly Face of Linux” and I’ll edit it and sort it all out with later over there and explain its context to the postings here in The TECH-2 Forum.

You probably have these already @Mooseman ...but JIK not… I’m dropping the links below that firmly supports your reasoning for sticking to a purely Windows XP SP3 OS for this task. It covers all of the various Windows Platforms that will allow for the TIS2000 installation, and provides the intrinsics for this process with fine grain details:

https://www.avtotools.com/pd_info/tis2000/cosids/Docu/Install/inst_ENU.htm

And this is kind of cool… Since the SW coming with my “GYMKO” system DOES have the USB Dongle with it vs. using “The Crack”… These are interesting Vertronix OEM instructions (...and from ACDelco, no less!) explaining the necessary “timing” as to exactly WHEN to install the USB Dongle during the TIS2000 install procedures:

http://obd2motor.com/download/tech2/TIS 2000 and SPS Install.pdf

And this is another link to the OBD365 Site that includes many articles (listed at the bottom of the page) including, “How to Use the GM Tech-II to Program the PCM”:

http://blog.obdii365.com/2014/12/29/how-to-install-tis2000-for-gm-tech2-scanner/

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
WOW! .... After finding an Old Dell Precision M65 Work Station on a shelf in my back office ...with a fully functioning Windows 7 Professional OS still installed, after performing a very clean Boot-Up... I looked around and found THIS TIS2000 Installation Video... and unless I'm crazy, the VOP is using Windows 7 for HIS install. Its very encouraging to see this as the easiest method for me as well... if it really does work and is stable:

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I happen to have a Spare 2002 PCM for the GM 4.2L (Model P-10 for the I6 Engines) and a healthy interest in this topic of eventually making or obtaining a Bench Test Harness in order to play around with it using the “GYMKO” Tech-II. So for anyone holding sacred possession of your “Own Clone” this PDF linked below will intrigue you.

Its from EFILive as the subject of a “Bench Harness Tutorial” and describes the wide array of various GM PCM designs, with the idea in mind that if you ever wanted to pull your PCM out of the truck ...say... when you are snowed in and have nothing better to do on your Truck or SUV, this information will help you if you're curious enough to want to do a Bench Test or even Update the PCM.

This document has ample images and displays all of the various Power Connections and Pin-Outs for these purposes. Obviously, this type of “Wire Looming Harness Designing” of a custom OBD2 Harness and Connectors requires a well grounded understanding of electricity and the proper facing orientation between the custom wired and soldered M&F connectors. So having good design and a schematic is paramount, lest serious damage happen to the PCM if mis-arranged and 12VDC goes where it should not:

http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Bench Harness Tutorial.pdf

And just as interesting… This link gives even more hope that those Old ALDL OBD-1 functions should work with the “GYMKO” Tech-II as well (...and quite frankly, I cannot see why they would NOT if the Dealerships still wanted to rapidly Diagnose and Repair those Early Model Vehicles as well…) So here is a link to the HPTuners Forum that raises the ALDL issue with a wiring schematic provided that may need some refinement to suit your unique purposes. But as an example... it will give you the general idea of how its all wired to work:

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?27227-PCM-bench-test

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Now THAT was a very interesting "Reid" :>) Bill Reid's efforts there are probably more comprehensive than I would care to delve into. I agree with you that for the purposes of just Powering up the PCM...Connecting via the DLC Custom Harness Plug ...and then doping out the Bi-Directional Read & Write contacts... it really should not have to involve the BCM or any other connections just for simply investigating whatever can be examined inside on the PCM Flash Card.

Besides, reading the VIN and perhaps updating the SW to the Flash Card is just about all I'd ever like to try out as a 'Proof of Concept' with the "GYMKO" unit on a Used PCM... just to practice with it a bit. Without all three Connectors sending and receiving data arriving from the Engine, Transmission and Body Module, all that would be showing on the Blue Screen for dynamic engine performances via input<->outputs would probably just look like harmless gibberish.

So if I look into this... those limited things would be about as much as I would ever like to do with this entire harnessing arrangement. And speaking of those Three Connectors... within the last hour, I was able to search, find and nab a 2002-2006 PCM off of eBay. This deal included the PCM AND... All Three P-10 Power Connectors with about 8"-10" of the remaining auto numbered and vary-colored harness wiring bundle.

Later on... those three plugs will do nicely for the necessary custom harness making. I was lucky to obtain this entire JYR (Junk Yard Rip) for just under $20.00 with Free S&H. I'll probably use that fancy 12VDC Bench Power Supply I originally got set up on "The Franken-Oiler Machine" as it has multiple (+) & (--) paired outputs that will give very stable DC Voltage to power both the PCM and the "GYMKO" Clone and not require using Truck Battery Power :>)

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Right on schedule… at around 4:00PM EST … I heard the Sounds of “HO… HO… HO…!” and the distinct echoes of Reindeer hooves trotting to a standstill on my Roof. And as I opened the front door… the smell of a GWN Evergreen mist filled the stale Florida air around me as I staggered out to meet the DHL Truck Driver and sign for the arrival of: The “GYMKO” Tech-II Clone…. Arriving here in only (8) Eight Days after punching the ticket and making the purchase...All the way from Mainland China to Clearwater, Florida! Not Bad, since I asked to delay its arrival. So … To the Chinese Crew over at AliExpress!

谢谢

(As spelled in English: ‘xiè xie’ and pronounced ‘Shuh Sheh’ it means “Thank You!)

I thanked the driver and after practically slamming the door in the poor man’s face… I muttered to myself...”Its Christmas Bobby…. “ And I wanted to open my presents! I took my time trying to get some decent shots of the Un-Boxing that followed after I realized that I had not actually seen a comprehensive set of those anywhere on the Internet and not on GMTN as yet. I needed to weed out a few and make some edits for the sake of my my privacy (which I always guard very jelously) and then posted them all here:

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/60dgrzbelow0/library/GYMKOTECH2CLONE?sort=2&page=1

Before proceeding further today... I put everything back inside the carry case in hopes of getting more information from @Mooseman first about the two BOSCH CDs that came with the box and the Tan DB9 Dongle that was tucked away inside of the plastic bag holding the RS-232 Communications Cable, etc. ...as I am uncertain whether either of these two CDs contains not just the Manuals ...but the Laptop TIS-2000 Installation Software as well… and that since I paid for the SW to come WITH a USB Dongle… I am a bit confused about it at this stage of the procedures. Am I still waiting for a any additional SW on CD with a USB Dongle...or is everything inside this “BOSCH Vertronix” “GYMKO” Package here now ...and good to go? I'll be patient until I can clear that matter up and as always.... I will proceed cautiously.

During the Un-Boxing… Everything smelled “New Car New”… with Brand New Components that showed no signs of being Used or Returned. I will not Power Up the Tech-II Hand Held unit until I can get a definitive understanding of the whole package (Dongle Issue) and can confirm a good SW install of the Dell M65 WS Laptop. But… FWIW: So Far… So Good!

Reactions: m.mcmillen

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One CD is a manual in PDF, the other is the install software for tis2000. You can use the Tech2 indepently of the laptop. It's need either when you need to reprogram a module or get security access for some functions like reprogramming a VIN. So go ahead and power it up. Just insert the PCMCIA card in one of tje slots first.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I'm sorry I am getting back on line so late ... so I am just getting familiar with your suggestions... but after doing what happens to be the ONLY difficult task with this set up (...properly aligning all of the multi-layered special numbered identification and Plastic Logos and Decals)... I took a visual tour of both Bosch factory CDs after hunting down and locating a working Dell DVD-RW and CD Drive for the Dell M65 WS (Windows 7 Pro) Laptop.

After spending enough time getting my 'sea legs', I finished browsing through the relevant Tech-II and TIS2000 SW PDFs and then plugged in the power supply, the RS-232 Loop Back Connector, the ALDL-to-Cable-to-VCI Unit and finally realized that in all of this excitement... I did not spy the PCMCIA Card anywhere in and amongst the Parts and Pieces inside of the Carry Case.

It did not take very long until it finally dawned upon me to open the TRAP DOOR on the top of the Unit ... and Lo and Behold...it was already plugged in. And so, as you would have suggested had I been back here to read your ideas... I pressed the Power On Button and a Bright Green Light came right on the bottom of the Keypad... as well as the Prettiest Color of Blue emanating from a Crystal Clear Screen... short of a BSOD in Windows, had likewise also come to life.

The initial Boot Load took place in short order and the "TECH 2" LOGO Screen came up with a command line that, besides suggesting pressing the "ENTER" Button to Continue... it had the version line of the Tech-II Software installed showing as 'Version 33.004' at the bottom of the Pretty Blue Screen.

So again... I puzzled about it only long enough during the process of running the Loop- Back Diagnostic, Keyboard and Video Screen Pixel Tests to figure out that our Chinese Compadres over at AliExpress must have performed a Free Factory Installation of the latest version of the TIS2000 Software onto the PCMCIA Card... and while I did wonder about the need to continue trying to figure out the issue of how to install the TIS2000 SW onto the laptop for later utility... I was taken by surprise that this thing had come from the factory...with it's Running Shoes laced up tight...and Race Ready to Run!

So then I got a little bit more curious and adventurous because I wanted to figure out whether or not I would be able to diagnose everything on my 1993 Camaro as well as the Trailblazer... and again... I discovered that the "GYMKO" Tech-II WILL work on all GM Vehicles... even those that were once serviced by the Original GM Tech-I Units that used the earliest design of the 12-14 Pin ALDL Interface ...with No Sweat! The only exception seems to be with the GM Engine in their Marine Division. Nonetheless, all of these Vehicle Diagnostics can be performed on Cars, Trucks and SUVs ...all the way up to 2013.

So I was just amazed and happy for anyone else who can find the money ASAP and grab whatever AliExpress has left of these well made units. I would like EVERYONE who wants one of these units and can afford to buy one of these to have the chance to do just that.... before they disappear and get superseded by some other Exotic Device! In closing for this day of days for me... I cannot THANK YOU ENOUGH! for steering me in the right direction! This has been Amazing... @Mooseman ... Just Amazing!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@MRRSM , before you bugger up something, I will give this warning. When you get tis2000 up and running on your laptop and you connect the rs232 to the Tech2, in tis2000, DO NOT HIT THE SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD BUTTON!!!!!
This would update your PCMCIA card to a 2008 version, which was the last one that was included with tis2000 before being decommissioned by GM.

tis2000 main screen.png

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online