New Chrome Tip Always Covered in Black Soot

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ever since I cutoff the stock resonator, replaced with a Vibrant performance resonator and chrome tip, the bottom half of the tip is always colored black with soot. Is this normal or should I be concerend about running rich?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What is your mpg?

It is normal for exhaust tips to get soot on them over time, that isn't avoidable. How fast it builds up is the question.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Unfortunately thats pretty normal. It's tough to keep it from building up but a strong degreaser should take it right off.

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
What is your mpg?

It is normal for exhaust tips to get soot on them over time, that isn't avoidable. How fast it builds up is the question.

MPG's seem fine, about 17-18 with mixed city/highway.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wouldn't be worried about it running rich then with normal mpg.

Trailshaman

Dec 7, 2011
I have this same issue but get 12.5 mpg on average

Filter

Dec 5, 2011
My 2012 Acadia has soot on all 4 tips and it only has 5,000 miles on it. I'd say it's normal.

Trailshaman

Dec 7, 2011
I dont care so much about the tip as i do the bad gas milage. and the engine running rich or lean. any advice on the mattter
sorry for the :hijack:

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Trailshaman said:
I dont care so much about the tip as i do the bad gas milage. and the engine running rich or lean. any advice on the mattter
sorry for the :hijack:

I've gotten has high as 19mpg with my V8 and sometimes even single digit fuel economy. When I'm doing lots of short trips around town, mileage plummets, especially in the winter with the colder, denser air, winter-blend fuel, lower tire pressures (until I fill them back up) and thicker lubricants in the crankcase, transmission, and differentials.

I noticed an improvement when I switched both differentials to Mobil 1 LS gear lube. I also run all four tires at 35psi. Going much below 30psi tends to kill my mileage. I tend to get the best fuel economy in late spring and early fall, when I drive about 60mph. Going over 70 kills things (speed limits out here are 75 on the interstate).

Driving style also plays a huge role in fuel economy. Even "normal" driving isn't the best for fuel economy.

Ethanol-blended fuels tend to hurt fuel economy too. Out here, I still have the choice of 100% gas or 10% blend (E10). Some states do not give you that option. Given the choice, I will not run E10 in anything. In the four vehicles I've run it in, I've always gotten reduced fuel economy with it.

In closing, unless you're getting check engine lights, you're 99.9% sure to not be running rich or lean. The ECM monitors and controls fuel mixture. If it gets "out of bounds", you'll throw a code.

Dec 4, 2011
strat81 said:
I've gotten has high as 19mpg with my V8 and sometimes even single digit fuel economy. When I'm doing lots of short trips around town, mileage plummets, especially in the winter with the colder, denser air, winter-blend fuel, lower tire pressures (until I fill them back up) and thicker lubricants in the crankcase, transmission, and differentials.

I noticed an improvement when I switched both differentials to Mobil 1 LS gear lube. I also run all four tires at 35psi. Going much below 30psi tends to kill my mileage. I tend to get the best fuel economy in late spring and early fall, when I drive about 60mph. Going over 70 kills things (speed limits out here are 75 on the interstate).

Driving style also plays a huge role in fuel economy. Even "normal" driving isn't the best for fuel economy.

Ethanol-blended fuels tend to hurt fuel economy too. Out here, I still have the choice of 100% gas or 10% blend (E10). Some states do not give you that option. Given the choice, I will not run E10 in anything. In the four vehicles I've run it in, I've always gotten reduced fuel economy with it.

In closing, unless you're getting check engine lights, you're 99.9% sure to not be running rich or lean. The ECM monitors and controls fuel mixture. If it gets "out of bounds", you'll throw a code.

Nicely said, you put all the required information together with respect to fuel economy. I totally agree with the ethanol problem, but then again farmers are happy :smile: The only fuel we can get without the stuff is Premium but of course that comes with a large price hit. I have always used premium in my small engines. They tend to sit for a great deal of time between uses, and the fuel doesn't separate as with blended ones Of course you need fuel stabilizer as well.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The O2 sensor can be slow at calling for changes without throwing a code.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.