New Android OBD App (WIP) (Dev)

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hey Everyone, first post here, been poking around for a while though. First, let me introduce myself, I am a Trailblazer owner (first and foremost) and an Android Developer. Much like a lot of people here I own a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. While trying to find a decent app for OBD that is updated in terms of functionality and looks, I basically came to a dead end. While Torque and similar apps work, they are pretty outdated and (let's be honest here) look horrible. So I set out a couple days ago to create my own OBD app that will outperform Torque (and many others) and be updated to the latest design specs.

This is a work in progress, I just started it a few days ago but development is going quickly. At this time it's able to clear DTCs and is capable of pulling supported PIDs, trouble codes, and basic vehicle information (RPM, Speed, VIN, Voltage, etc.) from an OBD emulator (on Android) and my car (being finicky atm). I'm looking for everyone's input on what features they would like to see and what can be improved on from the other apps. I will be looking for beta testers in the next few weeks (hopefully) so if you are interested let me know!

Here's a preliminary list of the features I plan to add before stable release:
  • All available live data of course :biggrin:
  • Auto VIN Identification
  • Vehicle Profiles
  • Track and save DTCs/Performace Data for each vehicle
  • A console so you can send your own commands. We all know you want to. :wink:
  • Cloud backup and sync
  • Export to file (Excel?)
  • 0-60 Times (Performance Tracking)
  • Auto connect
  • And more things suggested by you guys!
I appreciate ANY feedback or suggestions, I will do my best to keep an eye on this thread and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask them and I will try to answer them!

Thanks guys! Also check out some screenshots of a couple screens below. Remember this project is only a couple days old!

Screenshot_20170628-020748.png
Screenshot_20170628-020743.png

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sweet!

Are you aiming to be able to pull other codes besides powertrain, such as body, ABS, etc?

I don't know how hard (or costly) it would be to create an interface for some very basic tuning such as tire size or gear ratio changes, or AFM disable. I suppose those are probably very PCM specific and not probable to do, and maybe very risky...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Echoing Sparky, ABS, BODY, SRS codes would be a definite asset for your app. Car Gauge Pro does this but the interface is absolutely horrible.

One thing that would definitely set it apart is the ability to do a CASE (or crankshaft variance) relearn. This is something that most modern vehicles need once in their lifetime. Another is the ability to do an injector balance test. And finally, the ability to command the electro-viscous fan to verify if it's working correctly, but this is very specific to our platform and only certain years. I know these are tall orders and probably beyond the capabilities of a Bluetooth adapter or app but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Oh yeah, CASE relearn and maybe even ABS cycling for the purposes of ABS block bleeding without having to go find a slippery parking lot and slamming the brakes on :biggrin:

All will depend on what can be done, how feasible, etc. But hey, you asked for a wish list :biggrin:

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Sweet!

Are you aiming to be able to pull other codes besides powertrain, such as body, ABS, etc?

I don't know how hard (or costly) it would be to create an interface for some very basic tuning such as tire size or gear ratio changes, or AFM disable. I suppose those are probably very PCM specific and not probable to do, and maybe very risky...

I am able to pull powertrain, body, chassis, and network currently. I believe I should be able to pull and clear ABS, Air Bag, and TCCM codes. Not sure about the tuning part, I don't believe you can do that with the ELM327 protocol unless there is a hack or workaround.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah ELM327 might not be able to do tuning type of thing, not sure. It can obviously send some sort of commands to clear codes, but other than that...

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
I believe I can send headers over the OBD port to control radio volume and other functions. This would be on a per-vehicle basis and the user would have to perform the functions while the app listens then select the message that corresponds to the action and then test it. A little too much to handle until I can figure out a way to speed up the process on the user's end.

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Quick update. I spent most of last night rewriting the bluetooth connection logic. The rest of tonight and tomorrow will be rewriting the OBD connection logic as I am running into a very strange issue. For those who know the ELM327 protocol, when you send a command, it sends back that command plus the data, well on my check command (0100), the adapter is sending back a TON of empty RPM data (010C/410C) which I was not requesting, it's not even in my code atm. Not sure if it's an adapter issue or my code but I plan on having it figured out by tomorrow and I will be looking for a couple testers to test the connection logic (Open app and let it run) by Friday hopefully. I will update everyone again asap!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sign me up too!

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I'd love something like this, Torque even the paid version I have is awful, OBDLink's app is limited, and I have a $350 Bosch scantool which is cool but so far the only "expensive" features I've used is CMP retard on Vortec 5.7 engines and ABS bleeding on an 02 Escape I did a master cylinder brake hose on. Wouldn't mind paying $10 or whatever for your app if it was less shit than the other options, and I can sell my Bosch scantool. Also the ability to make a not-ugly digital dash using my tablet would be pretty sweet. Happy to beta test on a variety of devices. Thanks in advance :smile:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Love it. Nice to see you developing what you want when it was not out there!

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ok testers! I have uploaded the first version to test connection functionality and ONLY that. I am waiting for Google Play to review the app and then I will need emails from anyone who wants to test. This is being done as a closed alpha via Google Play so updates will be seamless.

Once I get your email in, you will visit the URL at the bottom of this post and click "Become a tester" and that will take you to the Play Store to download the app.

TESTER INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Open App (First Card on screen will say "OBD Waiting...")
2. Click Bluetooth icon in top right corner, select your OBD adapter.
3. Watch the text above the progress bar, it should change a few times.
4. Once it gets to "OBD Protocol #: --" (if not, skip to next step). You "Should" (might take a minute) see your voltage on screen. If not that's ok, that means there was an error and that's why you are testing!
5. Whether it worked or didn't, I need the log report.
6. SHAKE YOUR DEVICE! Give your phone a good shake, a dialog should pop up. Click report a problem, click the arrow in top right, enter your email and hit send. This sends me your device info and the logs that will help me fix the problem and diagnose. Using that awesome reporting feature, I can have a chat with you from inside the app and get more info if needed!

Feel free to explore, the trouble codes section "MIGHT. A BIG MIGHT" work. I haven't been able to test with my car. The "PIDs Available" does NOT work ATM. The other two sections are blank and clicking will do nothing. Also the VIN in the menu is a placeholder. If you go to another section and back to dashboard you will need to restart the app for the voltage to work again.

NOTE: I receive all crash reports so if it crashes, just leave it and let me know on here, I can then match up the crash report to you!

THANK YOU to any and all testers! YOU will make this development process go MUCH quicker and the bugs will get squashed much sooner.

OPT IN URL: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.whosenroute.obdio
(I must have your email in the system.)

KNOWN BUGS:
DTC & PID screens crash on pre-lollipop devices. (Working to fix)

Last edited:

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ok everyone! Change of plans, to make it easier to keep testers updated, I am moving the testing to a Google+ community. To test, join the community https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/103902549390096325008 then click the link on the front page. Then you should be able to download.

This will let me keep everyone updated easier and there will be categories for bug reports and feature requests soon. I am at work right now and will update everything once I get home!

Thanks everyone!

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Anybody get a chance to run the app and attempt to connect? I haven't received a report from anyone yet. I need at least one or two logs from actual car connections to verify the logic.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
Google Play said I should get the app downloaded to my device shortly. That was several hours ago.

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Google Play said I should get the app downloaded to my device shortly. That was several hours ago.
Did you join the Google+ group? Unfortunately when I change the alpha group it resets the test list. Once you join the group click the opt in link again and everything should work.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I followed the link to Google Play again, it said it was installed. I clicked install again and then just now it installed.

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Did you join the Google+ group? Unfortunately when I change the alpha group it resets the test list. Once you join the group click the opt in link again and everything should work.
Good! Google Play can get finicky with the alpha testing stuff.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I clicked the join group request. I haven't downloaded the app yet.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Gotcha! For some reason it doesn't notify me for all requests.
Thanks!

When I click the link to download the app from the alpha tester opt-in, it tells me it can't find the site. Is there a trick to DL'ing the app?

Check that. You have to click the link at the bottom of the message and not in the middle. Got it.

ahodak65

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Pennsylvania

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Trying to download and I'm getting "URL not found on this server". This is both from your latest link above and also from the Google Play tester page you first posted.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That worked. Thanks.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You should probably provide a bit more information than it doesn't work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online