New AC compressor clutch not engaging? Don't Panic (yet)

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Just in case someone else installs a new AC Compressor and when they start it up, the clutch doesn't engage, I learned today that no pressure in the system due to no freon, can cause the clutch to not engage. Strangely in all of the reading and research I've done before replacing mine, nowhere did it mention this. Not even in the repair manual. I was 5 minutes from uninstalling the new compressor when I found this out. Obviously you need the clutch engaged to be able to charge the system, so its a catch 22, fortunately you can apply 12 volts to a relay terminal to get the clutch to engage. Then charge\fill it. Then the system should behave normally assuming everything else is correct. On my 2006 Envoy SLT, I had to apply voltage to the relay terminal that has the image of the swinging switch on the schematic on the side of the relay itself. Just pull out the relay and jump a wire from the positive battery terminal to the relay terminal mentioned. I applied voltage to the other terminals as well and it didn't hurt anything. There is also info on how to manually engage the AC clutch online if you search for it. Hope this helps someone.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No, the way it works is that you start filling and as the low pressure switch senses the pressure, it will engage the compressor. It will kick off again due to the low amount of gas but as it fills, it will stabilize and run as it should. You fill by weight as indicated on the sticker.

You did vacuum the system? If you did, I hope you didn't run the compressor in the vacuum too long by shorting the relay connectors. Otherwise, it may have run without oil circulating. The oil uses the gas to circulate throughout the system and lube the compressor.

If you didn't vacuum the system, then you have air and moisture in the system.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Thanks for your words of wisdom. I did vacuum the system. Everything is working great and now that summer is over, I finally have cold AC again! Well at least I can defrost my windshield this winter.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online