Never knew these things existed.....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They are badass

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
IH made a few oddball pickups like that in mid 2000's...
Badass and BIG bucks!
They at one time were talking about resurrecting a full IH pickup line and the Scout

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Isn't IH owned by Ford now? Either way they built good stuff.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_XT

I remember these...apparently, IH ceased production in 2008. Actually saw one (forget which models, but I know it was a couple of versions...) in the US Army booth at the Chicago Auto Show. IIRC, one of them was a troop carrier - made a Humvee look like a toy - and it was already uparmored in stock trim. I remember that, for sure.

Now that I think about it, the booth had some video footage of them in action (Iraq War II was far from ending) - and the poster who called them 'badass' - wasn't doing them justice. I don't know why more of them weren't seen - I know the US Military bought more than 1-2 of each type.

Trying to remember if they were open to sit in - my wife would probably have remembered (she was as impressed by them as I was), but she passed away a couple of years ago. I'm almost sure they were - there were kids all over the things.
On edit: Found them!
https://www.navistardefense.com/NavistarDefense/vehicles/?filter=1&v1=v1

I've also seen (and been inside) an IH-chassied motor home. IIRC, the drivers' end was about 1.25-1.5x the size of one of these XT-series, pulling the equivalent of a Class A (or a really big Class C - with sliders). A really luxed-up interior, as I recall. We both liked it :smile:

Last edited:

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
IH used to make the power stroke for Ford but not anymore.. Ford never owned them... ironically Ford used to own a part of cummins however....not sure if they still do...

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
IH used to make the power stroke for Ford but not anymore.. Ford never owned them... ironically Ford used to own a part of cummins however....not sure if they still do...

Guessing 'not', as that's who FCA / Ram uses as their supplier for the diesels for the Ram P/Us. I've seen a lot of Cummins badges on the Rams in recent years, at least.

If I were Ford, there's no way I'm supplying powertrain technology to the competitor who is now #2 in P/U (I saw recently that the Silvy has been dropped to #3 in sales - never thought that would happen - but a lot of people seem to like the Ram these days).

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Guessing 'not', as that's who FCA / Ram uses as their supplier for the diesels for the Ram P/Us. I've seen a lot of Cummins badges on the Rams in recent years, at least.

If I were Ford, there's no way I'm supplying powertrain technology to the competitor who is now #2 in P/U (I saw recently that the Silvy has been dropped to #3 in sales - never thought that would happen - but a lot of people seem to like the Ram these days).
It's not that people like the ram it's that the lease is so damn cheap.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
There's someplace here in GA that specializes in making trucks extremely similar to that one, that's even bigger.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It's not that people like the ram it's that the lease is so damn cheap.
Seriously? Even for the Hemi / Diesel / HD versions?

I had heard the interiors were considered best-in-class - after looking at them just now, I sure don't see it (Silvy looks just as good to me, given comparative trim levels). And I'll admit I'm biased against FCA, given (Chrysler's) known reputation for putting lesser quality parts in their vehicles (when you nickel & dime the suppliers for every cent, you kinda get what you pay for.) My .02...I know there are some here (?) who have a Ram.

Personally, I like the F-series the best of the three, except for those dash vents - too much prominence / sharp angularity, compared to the rest of the layout.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH

Actually dodge has used cummins since the 80's..,
And yes Ford was involved with cummins during that time....late 90's into 2000's IIRC... that's why I said ironically in that post...
I always thought a super duty with that cummins would be a beast of a truck...

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Actually dodge has used cummins since the 80's..,
And yes Ford was involved with cummins during that time....late 90's into 2000's IIRC... that's why I said ironically in that post...
I always thought a super duty with that cummins would be a beast of a truck...
Yep - I knew Dodge / Cummins went back a ways. I didn't know about Ford's relationship with them, however. Of course, Mopar was less of a threat then than they are now.

As for a SD w/ 3rd party diesel - I was going to say that Ford had too much pride to put anything other than a Ford engine in their HD trucks - and then I found out just now that the earlier Powerstrokes were actually designed / built by Navistar / IH - and with that, we've come full circle in this thread!

Unfortunately, the Powerstroke engines weren't regarded as well, long-term, as the XT trucks or MRAPs that started this thread off.

The current 6.7L Powerstroke is a Ford design, though (along w/ some Austrian company). How long until an EcoBoost something or other makes its way into a SD? They can't make the truck any lighter, now that it's aluminum-bodied like the 1/2 ton is.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ford used IH not Cummins. The 7.3 was a heck of a motor.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.