Needing a fill in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So I have the opportunity to purchase a 06 Saab 9-7x 5.3 with 161k miles.
Its in my favorite color, Silver
Love the black interior.

But there are a few issues.
Mainly, a Cylinder 1 misfire. The dealer already tried moving a coil, and the misfire did not follow
I am thinking this means a DOD/AFM issue with that cylinder, but no way to confirm that unless I buy it and figure it out.
But it could also just need a tune up. What color are the factory plug wires? I am thinking they were red, and the ones on the truck are red.
It also needs some tires, and a drivers door window. Its not shattered, but it is cracked (how exactly does that happen?)
Headlight is out, and they are the factory HID. Does this mean a ballast or a bulb is bad? Who knows!
Minor hail damage, and a decent scratch on the rear quarter.

Otherwise its complete.

I have not driven it as yet, as I am just in the information gathering stages
Going to go look at it more Saturday
GT4 3.73

The dealer is asking 2500, as is, where is, no warranty, no emissions, no nothing. Was a recent trade in.
Dealer is about a mile from my house, so not really worried about getting it home.

What you think???
Looking to replace my wifes Aztek. It has the power pedals she wants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'd be gobsmacked if the Saabs had red plug wires as OEM. But Moose would know, since he had one.

As for the DOD... would make a great weekend (or two) project to take that out and put one of those swap kits in. Does the wife like to get on the pedal? LOL

With 161K on the clock... lots more life left. If you think the wife would like it (and would tolerate it in the garage for a couple of weekends), I'd give $2000 for it 'as is where is'. See if they'll take it.

Oh, and put a corrective shift kit in, of course. You see all the trans issues on this board... :wink:

What color is the Aztek? Baby sh!t green? If it is, PM me... I'll turn it into Project Heisenberg :tiphat:

Reactions: Matt

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
  • Haha

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The misfire could be several things. Wiring to coil or injector, bad injector, low compression (can be quickly detected during cranking with an irregular beat). I doubt it's the DOD as it would make a lifter noise. If it is the DOD, it can be fixed if not run too much. In either case, I would get it tuned out.

The door glass should swap out from any GMT360.

The headlight could be the bulb or ballast. Swap bulbs side to side to find out which. Original ballasts are difficult (read expensive) to find but I have a couple here so I can help out with that. Bulbs are still available.

IIRC, my plug wires were red.

You can probably deal him down quite a bit because of the defects and gas guzzlers are difficult to sell right now. I used to get an average 13 mpg on mine.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
IIRC, my plug wires were red.
Well, that's twice this week I've been caught talking out of my @ss. I *am* surprised, though, given that they were built in the same factory. Where's *my* red plug wires? :mad:

You can probably deal him down quite a bit because of the defects and gas guzzlers are difficult to sell right now. I used to get an average 13 mpg on mine.
Heard a story on the radio yesterday about current auto sales trends...
- 'Everybody' wants an EV, now...
- Used SUVs should be in 'plentiful supply', as they're considered the 'guzzlers'...
- Pickups (used & new) are as popular as ever (so, no deals to be had)

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Where's *my* red plug wires? :mad:
They could have been swapped before I bought it but it makes sense that they would have had the same plug wires since they were Saabs in name only, all built at the same plant as the other 360s. Just different makeup. Heck, they were never even sold in Sweden.

If you want red wires, the new ACDelco are red :smile:
- Pickups (used & new) are as popular as ever (so, no deals to be had)
Heard that too. Those that bought the Subs and Hoes are regretting it now except those with the 3.0L Duramax. Excellent economical engine!

Reactions: xavierny25 and Matt

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am pretty sure it's a DOD/AFM failure on cylinder one. I would have to remove the valve cover to confirm.

If I do buy it, I am contimplating doing the hack repair on it, and then just get the AFM/DOD tuned out.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
So I have the opportunity to purchase a 06 Saab 9-7x 5.3 with 161k miles.
Its in my favorite color, Silver
Love the black interior.
Small world, I see this today and it's almost a match...
2006 Saab 97x 5.3 liter. 162k miles SUV. AWD. Good condition. Leather interior, adjustable pedals.Dual heat controls, roof rack and aluminum wheels. Trailer hitch.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Small world, I see this today and it's almost a match...
2006 Saab 97x 5.3 liter. 162k miles SUV. AWD. Good condition. Leather interior, adjustable pedals.Dual heat controls, roof rack and aluminum wheels. Trailer hitch.

Rust belt though. The hood looks good but could have been Bondoed. They are notorious for rusting, even in the desert, and are now made of unobtanium.

Reactions: northcreek

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Some body work has already been done on that one too. I forget the name, but it's like a bronze color or champagne. But the front passenger fender does not match from the pic.

Anyways..

I went and looked at it today.

I was wrong about the DOD/AFM. If the valves were in locked position, intake or exhaust, it wouldn't be dumping raw fuel out the exhaust.

Plus and wires look original. I might get lucky, and it just needs a massive tune up. There is a slight noise in the motor. It drive well for a truck running on 7 cylinders.

The driver's power seat doesn't move forward or backwards. Should be an easy fix

I got the dealer down to 2000 out the door.

It is a take it out leave it deal, and have till Monday, he's already registered it for a damaged auction, and Monday is the cut off to recall the registration.

Looking for honest opinions guys. I'm really 50/50 on it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is a slight noise in the motor.
If it's like a low knocking noise, mine had that and it eventually turned into rod knock. Thought it was piston slap and did it for years until it finally gave up while towing. Or the noise could still be from the AFM. Without being able to listen to it myself, I can't really help on this.

For $2000 ($2500CAD for me) all in, I'd probably take a chance on it if I were looking,especially since I have some spare parts.

If doing the DOD delete, I can advise on how I did it and mistakes to avoid.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My plan for the DOD was to send the PCM to @limequat after I get the miss fixed. How clean are your spare housings?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My Envoy has that too, been doing it for 120k miles. What I am told is I have a bad bearing, but the way the LS is designed with what a couple engineers called extreme flow oil pump, as long as I wait for the engine noise to go away before I drive it, which I do, I won't have to worry about it untill it finally spins a bearing.

The Saab noise is higher up in the valve train, likely a failing lifter, which is very common on the Gen 3.5 and later engines. My Envoy is a gen 3. The Saab is a gen 3.5 (2005-2006 24x LS engines).

I think I will buy it, was hoping to hear some other opinions they the board, but time is fleeting at the moment.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So did you get it? I've got a beautiful set of headlight housings and other bits and pieces if you need them.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Are you looking for reasons to buy or reasons not to buy? My guess is the latter.
Looking for both really. Stuff I'm not thinking about, for or against.
So did you get it? I've got a beautiful set of headlight housings and other bits and pieces if you need them.
Not yet. Have 18 hours to make that final decision.

My wife likes the truck, but she wasn't able to adjust the seat to see if it would work for her, so she is undecided. As short as she is, seat placement is important.

It could be a big win, but it could also be a big loss. I much prefer the gen 3 engines, but finding a good condition low mile 2002-2004 v8 is getting hard.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you want negatives:
- body parts are all made of unobtainium so you're at the mercy of the used market.
- it does have its oddities like the turn signal DRL that burn the lenses (can be modded easily to use the fogs instead), center ignition switch (unobtainium) and turn signal stalk (unobtainium).
- cup holders absolutely suck. The dash mounted one is useless and usually broken
- rear air bag system is failure prone (check if already replaced with springs)
- the part-time AWD slip/bang system sucks
- G86 limited slip instead of G80 locker (could be a positive)

Positives:
- It's the most plush and expensive version of this platform ever offered (except the SS/Aero).
- The uniqueness and rarity of it. Some stares and people asking about it
- The radio is easily replaceable with the easy to remove bezel
- All mechanical parts are interchangeable with other GMT360

Overall I liked my 9-7x. It was a nice ride and I would have kept it after blowing the motor if rust hadn't done its deed. It wasn't worth the effort which is usually the case in the rust belt.

Your wife must really be short because my 5'2" wife had no trouble with it, nor any of the TBs. Hell, she doesn't have any issues with the new Sierra except for the shear size of it and parking it because it's so long.

Reactions: xavierny25 and Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
My sister couldn't drive the Envoy, the power seats don't go as far forward as the mechanical ones. She had no issues with the trailblazer though. If she was on the brake and had to turn around to look behind her her body would pull her foot off the brake. No good.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you want negatives:
- body parts are all made of unobtainium so you're at the mercy of the used market.
- it does have its oddities like the turn signal DRL that burn the lenses (can be modded easily to use the fogs instead), center ignition switch (unobtainium) and turn signal stalk (unobtainium).
- cup holders absolutely suck. The dash mounted one is useless and usually broken
- rear air bag system is failure prone (check if already replaced with springs)
- the part-time AWD slip/bang system sucks
- G86 limited slip instead of G80 locker (could be a positive)

Positives:
- It's the most plush and expensive version of this platform ever offered (except the SS/Aero).
- The uniqueness and rarity of it. Some stares and people asking about it
- The radio is easily replaceable with the easy to remove bezel
- All mechanical parts are interchangeable with other GMT360

Overall I liked my 9-7x. It was a nice ride and I would have kept it after blowing the motor if rust hadn't done its deed. It wasn't worth the effort which is usually the case in the rust belt.

Your wife must really be short because my 5'2" wife had no trouble with it, nor any of the TBs. Hell, she doesn't have any issues with the new Sierra except for the shear size of it and parking it because it's so long.
We still maintain full coverage insurance on our trucks.. So not really worried about it. And I have a Saab/Subaru salvage yard near me as well.
Amazingly, the dash mounted cup holder is still there, and functional!
It did have the air suspension, but it was converted at some point. I would prefer the Air Ride, but I also know how prone they are to failure, and how expensive they can be.
As little as she drives, and never driving on the interstate, I am not really worried about the transfer case, at least until it does break. She only drives her current car about 3500 miles a year. She doesnt understand the process of disabling (turning off) things when they arent needed. So a full time AWD is what I am searching for.
I rather have the G80 as well, That means finding a Rainier, with black or dark colored interior (her requirement). Not readily available (if ever?). I would even be OK with a I-6, but again, location, mileage, and price....

I rather get this one..

No Sunroof, low mile, AWD, Gen3, G80.. But its not local, light interior, and 5000 more than the Saab.

I have also been surprised at how many RWD models are out there!

My sister couldn't drive the Envoy, the power seats don't go as far forward as the mechanical ones. She had no issues with the trailblazer though. If she was on the brake and had to turn around to look behind her her body would pull her foot off the brake. No good.
This one has power pedals, so it has that going for it, for that reason. She is 4' 10.5".

My wife wants a Buick Envision Avenir. I dont have 50k burning a hole in my pocket thou.

Anyways.. I am actually considering not buying it. After re-reading thru the thread, I realized I forgot a piece of info.

So while I was test driving it on Saturday, It started up, and drove fine. But at some point the dash dinged at me, and it was for a low oil pressure. This is a very common problem on the Gen 3.5-4 models as the screen below the oil pressure sensor gets clogged. But I dont know that this is the problem. The engine did not make any more additional noises indicating rod knocks, bearings etc. But its just a unknown. If you revved it up, the oil pressure went up fine, it was only doing the low oil pressure at idle.

It could be fine, and a new sensor, and screen, tune up, and done... But it could also mean a engine!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the oil pressure was fine and all of a sudden would dive to 0 and then come back, it's likely the sensor. BUT, when my motor started knocking hard, it did this constantly while I kept driving it to destination (my son took over the trailer with his truck). But this was when it did fail so this is not indicative of what's going on with this one. If yours didn't increase in engine noise when it went to 0, I wouldn't worry about it.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman - You still have your Saab Specific Tech2 card?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So I put a non-refundable deposit down on it, and watched him cancel the trucks registration to the TRA/Manheim parts/junk auction (where it was already pre-bid up to 1500).

Picking it up Saturday.

Good news is it doesnt need tires. They are actually fairly new. I think they were Yoko tires. Should be able to get a couple years out of them.

My heart is kinda doing flip-flops in my chest. I normally dont buy into the un-known like this. I just hope this works out!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Congrats. I think you'll be fine. Just a little polishing up and she'll be good.

@Mooseman - You still have your Saab Specific Tech2 card?
Don't need it. Just use the regular GM card (I assumed the same thing)

Reactions: xavierny25

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Sounds like a fun project..:2thumbsup:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Congrats!
IMO, the real diehards of the platform... are the ones who buy them a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time. :tiphat:
I bought two... same year, same make, same model, same color.... differences were sunroof and interior color... everything else, identical. Thinking about a Saab 9-7x Aero for the next one, though....

Reactions: Tankcruiser

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Congrats!
IMO, the real diehards of the platform... are the ones who buy them a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time. :tiphat:
Diehard if your buying a common Envoy or Trailblazer, Ascender.. Even a Rainier..

But what is it when you buying one you cant even find in the junkyard, Bravada, 9-7x?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Diehard if your buying a common Envoy or Trailblazer, Ascender.. Even a Rainier..

But what is it when you buying one you cant even find in the junkyard, Bravada, 9-7x?
I believe you fall into the same category as the Mopar people and the guys who only use amsoil/redline because either costs more and it must be the best. :tongue:

JK... maybe fanatic.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I believe you fall into the same category as the Mopar people and the guys who only use amsoil/redline because either costs more and it must be the best. :tongue:

JK... maybe fanatic.
I think you mis-spelled it... Isnt it spelled Idiot? LOL JK!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think you mis-spelled it... Isnt it spelled Idiot? LOL JK!
Idk, seems much cheaper going your route than new. Don't seem idiotic to me. :tiphat:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I call it crazy. I should know, I had one :laugh::crazy:🙃

Reactions: xavierny25

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Idk, seems much cheaper going your route than new. Don't seem idiotic to me. :tiphat:
I got one on order... 1st or 2nd quarter of 2023 for delivery.. Thats the one thats killing me.. cant wait for that 835HP/914TQ!

@Mooseman - Crazy? I never claimed I wasnt! I did get married after all! :Banghead::crackup:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I got one on order... 1st or 2nd quarter of 2023 for delivery.. Thats the one thats killing me.. cant wait for that 835HP/914TQ!

@Mooseman - Crazy? I never claimed I wasnt! I did get married after all! :Banghead::crackup:
Ah crap. I forgot about the Rivian. Never mind you're crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
At the dealer now, getting ready to sign paperwork.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
In my driveway

Attachments

• 20220402_135701.jpg
    20220402_135701.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 21

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011