Need to know what the new hood seal looks like.

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I suffered the Cyl 4 misfire problem, but it hasn't reoccurred. It happened several weeks after I changed the plugs, so I may have disturbed the coil pack seal, 'cause it hasn't been a problem for 4 years of heavy rains & such. I think it was a matter of tree debris (acorns, twigs & leaves) under the seal. Or maybe the coil pack gasket or maybe the hood seal has changed. After drying the plug well & coil pack, I put silicone grease on the coil pack gasket to maybe help seal it, but may get the new hood seal if it happens again. Would like to see a picture of the new one, so I can decide. BTW I had a thread already running on that other forum, but figured I had better get the request posted here if I was going to get a good response.

Thanks,
kev

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
bugeyed said:
...BTW I had a thread already running on that other forum, but figured I had better get the request posted here if I was going to get a good response..
Sorry I can't help you here with a picture, but thanks for taking the hint to come visit. :thumbsup:

Please GMTN crew, don't let me down after I thought for sure somebody could take a pic....:yes:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I can't provide a picture, because I never changed mine.

I also used silicone grease to seal my coil; the only thing I added, was a small plastic tube to relocate the vent hole a couple of inches.

My logic was, I don't care if the engine gets wet, as long as I can keep the plug dry.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
I'm confused (no surprise there) but are we referring to the coil gasket or the hood gasket next to the cowl?:confused:

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Ideally, a good coil gasket/seal would keep any water out, so I suspect that these coil seals are not adequate. I should have put grease on all of them. Doh!
Should be an easy fix to divert the water from the hood seal area to the side & off the coils.

Cheers,
kev

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
I found TSB 06-06-04-048B on our local library's access to an online source. It shows the replacement seal has a foam backing and give a p/n of 25788476. There are some actual photos but not sure the resolution/details would be helpful in identifying the actual seal's appearance. I'd post the pdf of the actual TSB but when I try to attach I get an error saying this 171kb file exceeds the forum limit.

Reactions: Dreccomel

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
How's this:

Document ID# 1887423

Subject:4.2L LL8 Engine - Flashing and/or MIL/SES Light, Rough Idle, Misfire(s) DTC(s) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306 (Install AIP Seal) #06-06-04-048B - (01/12/2007)

Models:2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2002-2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2002-2007 GMC Envoy
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X
with Vortec™ 4.2L Inline 6 Cylinder Engine (VIN S -- RPO LL8)

This bulletin is being revised to add the new part numbers for the Spark Plugs and Ignition Coils. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-04-048A (Section 06 -- Engine /Propulsion System).
Condition

Some customers may comment that, after severe weather that includes large amounts of rain in a short period of time, the engine has a rough idle and/or flashing MIL/SES light. Upon further investigation, there may be the following DTC(s): P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305 or P0306.
This condition can be aggravated if the vehicle is parked nose down on an incline during this type of weather. The customer may also comment on repeat occurrences of this condition because water may be passing over the Air Intake Plenum (AIP).
Cause

The dripping rain water onto the engine cam cover will collect at the coil(s) and may seep past the coil(s) into the spark plug(s) well of the cylinder head and may affect the operation of the spark plug(s) and coil(s), causing the misfire(s).
Correction

Important: Before replacing the AIP seal, refer to Misfire diagnostics in SI to determine if water intrusion was the cause of the misfire.
Diagnostic Aids for Misfire

• Refer to SI for Base Engine Misfire without Internal Engine Noises.
• If no trouble found (NTF) using SI document on Base Engine Misfire without Internal Engine Noises, then refer to SI for Misfire DTC(s).
• If Misfire diagnostic leads to the removal of the coil(s) and spark plug(s), refer to the following SI Documents:
- Air Cleaner Outlet Resonator Replacement
- Ignition Coil Replacement Removal Procedure
- Spark Plug Replacement
• Coil(s) damage from water intrusion will have a film of white chalk build-up on the outside and inside of the spark plug boot to ignition coil(s) assembly. If present, remove the spark plug(s) and inspect for similar build-up on the outside of the spark plug(s).
• If NTF with the coil(s) and spark plug(s), continue on with the Misfire Diagnostic in SI.
• Replace any coil and spark plug that has been diagnosed to be damaged from water intrusion. To prevent a reoccurrence, follow repair information outlined in this bulletin to replace the AIP seal.
Important: To prevent a repeat occurrence of the above condition, Do Not return the vehicle to the customer without replacing the AIP seal if water intrusion was determined to be the cause.
If water intrusion was determined to be the cause for the replacement of the spark plug(s) and/or coil(s), the AIP seal should be replaced.
Installation of AIP Seal

To prevent a reoccurrence, the revised AIP seal will redirect the rain water flow away from the engine cam cover area. The following repair information outlined in this bulletin will assist technicians in the replacement of the revised AIP seal.

Remove the original rear hood (AIP) seal to the air inlet grille panel staked studs. Refer to the above illustration (1).

DO NOT remove the air inlet grille panel from vehicle, Illustration purpose Only. Cut three or four slits through the original rear hood (AIP) seal to the air inlet grille panel plastic staked studs. Carefully remove the rear hood (AIP) seal from the staked plastic studs. Do Not cut off the top or staked portion of the plastic studs holding the rear hood (AIP) seal to the air inlet grille panel. If removed, the air inlet grille panel will have to be replaced. Refer to the above illustration (1).

DO NOT remove the air inlet grille panel from vehicle, Illustration purpose Only. Seal removed without any damage to the air inlet grille panel plastic staked studs. Refer to the above illustration (1).
Remove any dirt or debris from the sealing surface of the air inlet grille panel .
Install AIP seal, P/N 25788476. The revised seal has a foam weatherstrip attached to the bottom. Refer to the above illustration (1). The foam weatherstrip faces the air inlet grille panel. Carefully stretch the revised AIP rubber seal over the plastic staked studs of the air inlet grille panel without damaging them.

Parts Information

Part Number
Description
Seal, AIP
Plugs, Spark- Model Years 2002- 2007
Module, Coil Electronic Ignition Control-Model Years 2002-2005
Module, Coil Electronic Ignition Control-Model Years 2006-2007

Reactions: Dreccomel

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks, good info, but too bad the frequently referenced illustrations aren't included.
Are they included in the pdf?
I am still leaning toward making a shield to divert the water away from the coils. Then the hood seal can leak all it wants with no harm.

Thanks,
kev

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
bugeyed said:
Thanks, good info, but too bad the frequently referenced illustrations aren't included.
Are they included in the pdf?
I am still leaning toward making a shield to divert the water away from the coils. Then the hood seal can leak all it wants with no harm.

Thanks,
kev

Yes, included in the pdf.
You could pm me and I'd send the file. Again not sure why the forum's limit on file size doesn't allow it to be attached.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
In case the forum's PM function has a similar issue, email it to me at "bill@roadie.org" and I'll work it out.

I got the PM but didn't see an option to attach a file. I just gave kev my email, n7don at yahoo and I'll send direct. When he replies I'll include your address in the send to.

I've been successful in finding many TSB thru our local library. They have an online subscription to EBSCO "Auto Repair Reference Center" but it takes a library number to access. I've got cards for both Apache Junction and Flagstaff libraries. Both have the same access. I would assume this service is available throughout the US and not just an Arizona thing.

fj4072

Jun 1, 2012
Gevans17 said:
View attachment 3015View attachment 3016View attachment 3017

No wanting to give GM another dime of my money to fix their defective 'seal", I made my own for approx $7. Working fine for the past 3 months and no more random misfire codes. :smile:

How's this fix working now, still good? I'm dealing with my neighbors 03 TB, replaced the seal under the coil #5 seemed to help, but now #4 is getting water in the sparkplug well. If your's still isn't leaking I'll go your route, and do my 06 TB at the same time. By the way, hard to tell, sticky side down, leaving the fins pointing upwards? Thanks!

Gevans17

Jan 8, 2012
fj4072 said:
How's this fix working now, still good? I'm dealing with my neighbors 03 TB, replaced the seal under the coil #5 seemed to help, but now #4 is getting water in the sparkplug well. If your's still isn't leaking I'll go your route, and do my 06 TB at the same time. By the way, hard to tell, sticky side down, leaving the fins pointing upwards? Thanks!

Have used this fix on both ofthe kids' 02 and 04 Trailblazers. Still working great. Sticky side down. Apply to the flat "shelf" directly in front of the OEM GM crap seal. I left a 1 foot gap on either side to allow the water to drain off on both sides of the engine. Bought that brand of weatherstriping at home depot

Reactions: flyinghigh1970

fj4072

Jun 1, 2012
Gevans17 said:
Have used this fix on both ofthe kids' 02 and 04 Trailblazers. Still working great. Sticky side down. Apply to the flat "shelf" directly in front of the OEM GM crap seal. I left a 1 foot gap on either side to allow the water to drain off on both sides of the engine. Bought that brand of weatherstriping at home depot

Good enough for me, thanks for the reply. Your pic even caught the Frost King part # V27W on the bottom, cool beans. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online