Need some parts advice...

Ziggy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
I'm planning on ordering parts for my TB within the next couple of days, and was hoping to get a little bit of guidance from the collective. I've been planning for upper ball joints and a right front wheel bearing since I bought the truck. Planning on buying from Rock Auto, found ball joints for $12 made by UltraPower, and a wheel bearing from Dura International for $48. Timken wheel bearings are available, but for nearly 3 times the cost of the Dura International part price... Is it worth it? Also, got a surprise this weekend, out driving in the snow, and lost my power steering assist. From what I've been able to research this seems to be a common issue with GMT360 power steering pumps. Is there an update/upgrade available? I'm inclined to go with the AC Delco part for the pump unless there is a better option available.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Can't comment on the power steering but with suspension parts, you usually get what you pay for. My oem parts lasted well over 100k miles so not using oem is a hard sell to me.

Timken wheel hubs are a favorite. Some members have used cheap local hubs with success. I just replaced my upper ball joints with Mevotechs, too soon to report anything but there is some noise on bumps probably from something else. Hopefully. I went with Mevo's because I thought it to be a cheap alternative as I plan on more suspension work in the near future with LCA's, hubs etc.
Many like Moog. Comes down to what you want to spend. Beware of Cheap Chinese Crap that is sold for cheap all over the net.

Ziggy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I'll do some more research before ordering.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hubs are a crapshoot except for Timken. I once bought Raybestos hubs, fell apart (literally) not even a month later without warning. Off brand Chinese stuff may be OK but are not for longevity for sure. I just bought some for $40 off Amazon, made in China. Will see how they last.

Suspension parts, I have never been impressed with Moog. The tie rods don't have a positive boot seal on them and have seen a lot of their ball joints fail. No matter if they have a lifetime warranty, it's a PITA to change. Mevotech are made in China and I have had quality problems with a cracked tie rod. Lower Ball joints don't hold their boots tight on the joint but have lasted 3 years for me regardless.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Doing donuts in the snow (Especially if you hold it to full lock) can break the shaft in the pump.

Reactions: Playsinsnow

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I went with Timkins. I got 77K out of the OEM ones. I have always used Timkins on my vehicles and never had any issues with them.

Reactions: Eric04

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And for PS pumps, go with an ACDelco reman. Cardone are junk and make noise out of the box.

Reactions: Eric04

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
I put in some Detroit Axels about six months ago, they seem to be doing well. The thing that made take a chance is that they have the same part number as Timken.

Attachments

• 81QaFybq6RL__SL1500_.jpg
    81QaFybq6RL__SL1500_.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 7

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
They are about the same price on Amazon.

Ziggy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Wish I'd seen the info about the Cardone pump 20 minutes ago. Just ordered one on Amazon. I'll try it. Worst case is it makes noise, right? I guess if it makes noise, I'll save a few more nickels and replace it with a reman AC Delco part. I'll just be out that $40. :/ Thanks everyone, I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Amazon are really good for returns so if it fails, return it and get an ACDelco.

Is your old pump completely dead? If not, before you change it, flush the system before taking the old pump out so you won't pump old dirty fluid through the new pump. If it's completely dead, when you put in the new pump, plug the return nipple on the reservoir, extend the return line and put it in a large container, fill the reservoir and have a helper start the engine. As it goes down, refill the reservoir. Have the helper turn the wheels at the same time. It will come out real fast and hard so make sure the hose is positively retained on the container (ask me why).

Reactions: Blckshdw

Ziggy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Old pump is shot. Snowy road, no 4WD. Apparently I had the wheel cocked all the way to lock, and when I gassed it a little bit to get into my driveway, I broke the pump shaft. I need to get that TCCM replaced too... The learning curve has been steep on this one.

Ziggy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Installed Cardone power steering pump, Dura International wheel hub and bearing assembly, and upper ball joints for which I've forgotten the name. Everything went smoothly, and all seems to be well. Except, that is, for the lingering noise of the other wheel bearing... :sadcry: I'll report back after driving on them for a while.

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online