Need some insight. Envoy totalled

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Insurance is only trying to give me 4500 for my 06 envoy denali. I can't even find one anywhere for under 5500. Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• 20200830_091018.jpg
    20200830_091018.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200828_081037.jpg
    20200828_081037.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Sad
Reactions: Redbeard

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:wowfaint: Holy :lipsrsealed: man!! So sorry to see that happened to your truck. I'm not sure what you can do with the insurance company though.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I've never done it, but if the engine and drivetrain are in great shape, perhaps find a donor and swap bodies?

Then sell the old sheet metal to a recycler.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've heard of some negotiating with insurance for a better payout. Need to be armed with lots of info, what the retail prices are for this vehicle to get a comparable replacement, what the condition of it was before the damage (photos would be good), mileage, options (being a Denali, should be full). Any upgrades or additions? Make sure they know about it.

This is where I've seen it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Totalled, schmotalled... that'll buff right out! (kidding, obviously)
As the others have said... glad no one was hurt. Man, I can imagine the noise that made.

They probably asked you, but if you had just splurged for new tires, etc., you can have that accounted for. I had a car stolen once, and got a little extra $ b/c I had just put new tires on it.

I'm sure they asked about the mileage, so that's been taken into account. Higher mileage will subtract a lot; lower adds hardly anything (which sucks).

Make *sure* they know it's a Denali trim, just in case they didn't have it listed. These days, when they get the VIN of a vehicle in order to quote a policy, the trim level usually shows up, tho.

You can sometimes ask for another adjuster to assess the settlement amount, especially if they are allowed input for the intangibles that we all mentioned above. Otherwise, it's a numbers game, and their computer & NADA have the final say.

If all else fails, grab anything you think you can sell, off the truck. Like those wheels (but you'll have to put something on in exchange), the opposite running board-?, head / tail lights, anything you can get into the truck and safely get (the Denali steering wheel will bring some $, for example) In the shape that's in, I doubt whomever they sell it to is going to try and salvage much of the interior, TBH. And that affects the insurance company's offer, too - because part of their offer is based on what they expect to recover by selling it for salvage - which won't be much, given the condition.

Finally, if they have the option for you to buy it back, *and* you have the means to do it, the engine and trans would be worth a couple thousand; engine alone $1200-1500, depending on mileage, as it's an all-aluminum 5.3L LS (although the 823 heads aren't highly valued.) The rear axle wouldn't fetch too much, as it's probably a high ratio (3.23 or similar); GM stopped putting the 3.73 in with the V8 Envoys after '04.

Good luck on reaching a fair settlement. Fingers crossed.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
When my wife hit a car with our Aztek, they offered us 800 bucks for it. I showed them lower equipped cars with higher miles that were selling for 3-5k more than what they were offering. We eventually settled at 3900. I repaired it for 290, and we were off and running.

You gotta play hard ball, their job is to low ball you and hope you take it. Its going to take a lot of going back and forth, but its worth it in the long run. Your Denali is a lot more common, and you should be able to find prime replacement options and show them the comparables.

Use all your resources, local car dealers, eBay, Craigslist, Cars.com, autotrader.com, carfax.com, and Autotempest.com, and dont just stay local, search nationwide. For my Aztek, the closest comparable car with similar miles, and no where near the options, but more than most other models, we found in Michigan.

Heres a 06 Denali LWB for sale local to me for example..

How many miles were on yours? I can think of at least 5-9 things I really could use off that. So sad..

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks for the information guys. I'll call back the insurance company because I really can't find any Denali for a cheap price definitely not 4500. Plus the auction process have sky rocketed. Stuff I was usually paying 2500 for are now going for more than what they are selling for on Carlots. Really in a tight spot now. My truck was very clean. Just hate it went out like that

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That actually makes my stomach hurt to watch..

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Very hard to watch. Pine trees are the Rust of the South... Don't know about where you are but from the looks of it not very far from me. In Louisiana we have a State Insurance Commissioner who you can take your low ball complaints to , usually the insurance company will come up with a better offer but don't hesitate to get the IC involved and even an attorney as a last resort if they refuse to come up with a reasonable offer.

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Very hard to watch. Pine trees are the Rust of the South... Don't know about where you are but from the looks of it not very far from me. In Louisiana we have a State Insurance Commissioner who you can take your low ball complaints to , usually the insurance company will come up with a better offer but don't hesitate to get the IC involved and even an attorney as a last resort if they refuse to come up with a reasonable offer.
Yes that's where I am. North Louisiana. I'll try to look into that

Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
A vehicle is seen crushed under a tree after Hurricane Laura passed through the area on Aug. 28, 2020, in Lake Charles, La. The hurricane hit with powerful winds causing extensive damage to the area. (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

And what appears to be a TBSS is also a victim down there.. Hope for the best for all you rebuilding.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online