Need some help. Chirping sound at idle, belt squeal above 1k rpm

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
HELP!!!!! I'm on my 8th day of looking into this issue and it's driving me nuts. Bear with me, I may get wordy.

2003 Envoy XL 5.3 V8

Background: About 2 weeks ago my Waterpump gave up so I had it replaced by a local shop (Not my typical shop). I was not able to drive it far because of overheating. After it was replaced for what felt like a wallet rape they told me that a lot of coolant had got onto the belt and it would stop after some time. It wasn't going away and the noise started getting louder with now a howling noise which I figured was the power steering pump.

I replaced the power steering pump myself and the next day I replaced the belt. 2 days past and it was very quiet but the noise came back. I took the belt off again and cleaned all the pulleys and lubricated them. Each time I did this the problem came back the next day. If I sprayed the pulleys the noise would go away. Yesterday I took it to an alternator shop to ensure the alt wasn't an issue. The guy listened to the noise and said. 1. it's not coming from the alt. 2. it sounds like something is stuck and scraping as it rotates. Using a hose he could tell the noise appeared at the tensioner pulley. So I replaced that tonight and behold, I still have the F%#king sound.....

I took the belt off again and started the truck. No sound appeared so it is definitely related to the belt or an accessory. I also used belt dressing on the belt and if I spray the flat side there is not much change, If I spray the ribbed side the noise gets worse.

I read somewhere that there are different size belts and also that people have had issues with Dayco belts which is what the parts place had. Can anyone tell me the proper length for a XL v8?

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I read another post from Roadie. 90.5 for the XL. I'll try to measure the belt tomorrow.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I'd be looking for black dust from your belts getting worn from a pulley or whatever else might be wearing them out. Sounds like your new belt is toast and your next one will be if you don't find the source.

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I found the receipt for the belt I purchased. Dayco part #5060923 which is listed as a 92.3" belt. Looks like I'll be swapping it out for the 90.5 size the XL is suppose to have.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
JacksonJ said:
I found the receipt for the belt I purchased. Dayco part #5060923 which is listed as a 92.3" belt. Looks like I'll be swapping it out for the 90.5 size the XL is suppose to have.

I think that the two belt sizes referenced were for the I6 engine. Double check.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The idler pulley goes bad as often as the tensioner. Only $20.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I did not see the belt tensioner as being changed. Usually you can tell if its the tensioner if you get the sound at start-up and while under load (giving it gas). Seems you have the right belt. Dayco is a pretty good belt. My only other suggestion if you decide to change the belt is a Gatorback. But I would check your tensioner first.

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
triz said:
I did not see the belt tensioner as being changed. Usually you can tell if its the tensioner if you get the sound at start-up and while under load (giving it gas). Seems you have the right belt. Dayco is a pretty good belt. My only other suggestion if you decide to change the belt is a Gatorback. But I would check your tensioner first.

I changed the tensioner pulley, but not the tensioner itself. They want about $80 bucks for that up here in Canada. Any suggestions on how to test the tensioner? I left my wrench on it, started the vehicle and pulled the tension back a little bit. No change in the noise.

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
the roadie said:
The idler pulley goes bad as often as the tensioner. Only $20.

I may just try it, however the noise seemed to be closer to the tensioner pulley when we used the hose trick to locate the noise. I may just go and get a stethoscope to see if I can locate the sound.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
JacksonJ said:
I may just try it, however the noise seemed to be closer to the tensioner pulley when we used the hose trick to locate the noise. I may just go and get a stethoscope to see if I can locate the sound.

Could be the assembly rather than the pulley you replaced. The spring in the tensioner assembly will go bad and not add the correct tension to the belt causing it to chirp or squeal.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
JacksonJ said:

Don't forget you have 2 belts, 1 idler and 2 tensioners on the V8, The main belt (NOT the same size as the I6) has a tensioner and an idler. And then the second belt for the A/C compressor only that has a tensioner of its own.

If you have not replaced the main belt idler, that would be next component to suspect. Just because a "alternator guy" listened and told you it was not the alternator does not rule it out in my book.

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I just wanted to get on here to let you guys know that I bought a new belt from the Dealership and the noise is completely gone. I did hold both up together and the Dayco belt had drooped more in the center while the GM was straight. It appears the Dayco might be a tiny bit bigger then stock and my truck must be that picky.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
JacksonJ said:
I just wanted to get on here to let you guys know that I bought a new belt from the Dealership and the noise is completely gone. I did hold both up together and the Dayco belt had drooped more in the center while the GM was straight. It appears the Dayco might be a tiny bit bigger then stock and my truck must be that picky.

I just noticed that I actually have a Dayco in my truck, however I didn't pull the part number off it. It appears to have a GM part equivalence number also printed on it though.

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
IllogicTC said:
I just noticed that I actually have a Dayco in my truck, however I didn't pull the part number off it. It appears to have a GM part equivalence number also printed on it though.

My Dayco doesn't have any labels left. Looks like it was slipping on the back (non-ribbed) side and rubbed off all the labels/part #'s. It was only on the truck for a week. I could only get the part number from the receipt.

I'll be watching the new one though. The noise is gone but I'll be making sure that there is no underlying problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online