Need some feedback ASAP

IHZ05VOY

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I need to change my tires, but I do not have the $600 dollars Discount wants for the General's. I was looking around and found some in craigslist. Here 265/65/17 GENERAL GRABBER $275.00. $275 with everything. 70% life left. What do you folks think???

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Looks like a good price. I see those guys in Craigslist all the time for their $25-50 tires. And La Mesa is at the very least, not El Cajon. I liken El Cajon to Mos Eisley Spaceport ..... "A more wretched hive of scum and villainy you will never find...." :wink:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
That's not wear bars, they are not usually on the shoulder, they should be on the inner rows of thread.

Sorry, you posted a pic of a new set, your right, looking at the ones for sale the wear bars are close to the surface. I think maybe 70% worn. But, they are better than $600.

Let me suggest something that I have done a number of times.

Go to your dealer's parts department, ask if they have any (your size) "take offs"

Take-offs are new tires that a customer does not want on a truck when the truck is sold. The dealers just want to get rid of them, you can purchase for about 1/2 price.

IHZ05VOY

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for the info. I am still looking around, I might just wait to collect the $600 to get them new. I can walk to my job, which is like 15 min away, and I do not need to move the voy that much anyway. :thumbsup:

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
I have come to like our Coopers very much. Price, drive ability and wear. We are on out fourth set of tires at 126k. Two sets were the shitty continental contitracs and two of the cooper discoverer. We still have a good two years left on the coopers too.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
If you're broke save your money till you can get the Generals, don't waste the $275 on those tires. You only have $325 to save up too.

c good

Dec 8, 2011
Bought mine at Discount about 3 years ago. Very happy with the on and off road performance without sacrificeng gas mileage. Don't remember what I paid for them but it wasn't close to $600.00 HTH c good

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
RayVoy said:
That's not wear bars, they are not usually on the shoulder, they should be on the inner rows of thread.

Sorry, you posted a pic of a new set, your right, looking at the ones for sale the wear bars are close to the surface. I think maybe 70% worn. But, they are better than $600.

Let me suggest something that I have done a number of times.

Go to your dealer's parts department, ask if they have any (your size) "take offs"

I was going to say you can see the bar all the way across the tire. I also thought 70% worn after looking at them. The spare I bought looks the same and was only $30.

mikekey said:
If you're broke save your money till you can get the Generals, don't waste the $275 on those tires. You only have $325 to save up too.

True, keep looking or wait. I have found some really good deals on used tires, sometimes all it takes is patience.

Rs8892 said:
Those look like Grabber TR All Season and no way are they 70% tread, new is 14/32". IMO more like 4-6/32" look at wear bars 2/32", bring a tire gauge.
bavu7e4u.jpg

See above in reference to Rayvoys post, looks like 70% worn.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
IHZ05VOY said:
I need to change my tires, but I do not have the $600 dollars Discount wants for the General's. I was looking around and found some in craigslist. Here 265/65/17 GENERAL GRABBER $275.00. $275 with everything. 70% life left. What do you folks think???

I never buy used tires. When I sell mine on craigslist I ALWAYS take pics with a tread depth gauge. They don't look like they have much on them. Spend twice that and get something to last more than twice the life of those.

tbyoda

Apr 19, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
When I sell mine on craigslist I ALWAYS take pics with a tread depth gauge. They don't look like they have much on them.
That is because you are honest person and want to sell your tires fairly. IHMO Those places that place ads on CL like crazy for every tire $25 or something and the one in the OP are praying on person that are hard up and don't take good pictures on purpose and don't have anything to go by or use something stupid like a dime. The top of Lincoln's head to the edge of penny is 2/32" and the top of Washington head to the edge is 4/32", BTW tires stop acting as pump when the tires are at the wear bars or 2/32". You really should start to look for tires at 4/32" at minimum.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I lucked out and got mine on sale. Goodyear Fortera, 4 all-new and installed, for like $500 total?

I know, they're not exactly a Grabber, but hey when you're hauling a 12-foot UHaul 600 miles, it's much better than having "Tires Fio Slicks" that it came off the lot with.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online