Need rear HVAC help ASAP!!

cmatt

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
I'm in the middle of replacing the blower control module on the rear HVAC on my wife's 03 Envoy XL I6. I've got a couple questions before I button everything up. I also took pics.

Old module on bottom...do I need to clean any of the remnants off what I am assuming is the evaporator core where the module contacts?
EnvoyHVAC013.jpg

Rear of HVAC module where blower control module mounts.
EnvoyHVAC020.jpg

I noticed the rear condensation drain was partially clogged (checked it from underneath). I decided to open up the bottom front panel of the rear HVAC module and saw this...
EnvoyHVAC014.jpg

Is this any cause for alarm?!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I'd use a mild bleach solution to clean up the drip pan of potential smelliness. The base plate of the speed control module is supposed to transfer heat to the plenum. I don't have an EXT, but if I was replacing that module, I'd throw some heat sink compound - the kind that should be available in small tubes at your local electronic store - on those surfaces just to guarantee thermal transfer. But not many people do that so I wouldn't obsess over it if you put it in without the compound.

cmatt

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for the reply/suggestions. Believe it or not, that base is actually dense foam. It sits on the body and helps to seal the opening where the heater and AC lines come through. I cleaned everything up and let it sit to dry out a bit. I also tested the blower control module before reassembling everything.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online