Need Opinions...

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone helping me out here at GMT. I just got a 2004 GMC Envoy SLE with 130K miles and everyone has been helping out with a bunch of questions I had . SO...I am working on getting the Envoy to ride the best it can. SO with 130,000 miles many said to get new shocks and struts...like "four Bilstein HD and new mounts." I have $800 to dedicate on making this SUV ride with nice handling and suspension. What would you order? Any advice is greatly appreciated....

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
dvdman said:
I want it to handle more like a sports car. What would you order? Any advice is greatly appreciated....

THe first thing that comes to mind is a wider lower profile tire which means different rims and tires. Gonna be tough meeting your budget of $800 unless you find some second hand. I think there are shorter springs for front and rear as well as lowered spindles.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
dvdman said:
...I am working on getting the Envoy to ride the best it can......I know its a SUV but I want it to handle more like a sports car.....

It's not easy to get both of these, and it's not gonna happen for $800

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Belltech lowering struts up front and beltech drop springs and shocks for the rear. Then u will probably need to replace balljoints and such for the front w/ that many miles. Then to align properly if u use the lowering kit u will most likely need djm upper control arms which is half ur budget. Good luck man.

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
]

Well...maybe not like a sports car. Just want it smooth and feeling like a new car that handles nicely.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
would be easier to shoot for handling like a new 2004 Envoy.

(assuming you already have all the maintenance items taken care of. nothing like the ride of a car on the side of the road which does not run)

I would just make sure the stock components are behaving properly, and replace as needed. (but that is me)

Shocks, Struts, stabilizer bar end links, stabilizer bar bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints. likely some of these need to be updated after 8 years.

I suggest a lifetime alignment before you replace anything, since you will want to have it checked after any maintenance.

also a lifetime balance deal for the tires. if they are new, or fairly new you could have this added. if not, when you put new tires on. balanced and properly inflated tires make a huge difference in ride and life of the tires.

Also a close check on the brakes, with attention to the back(inside) surface of the disks. they can rust up and give the braking action a shudder.

Prices from Rock Auto on higher end alternatives:
$100 two rear shocks
$260 two strut assy (will compromise spring matching, but I cannot tell the difference, and much easier to do)
$50 stabilizer bar end links front
$10 stabilizer bar bushings
$150 lifetime alignment

before spending more, I would check the status of the gas pump corrosion, find out if GM would help you if it goes, and if not, plan a replacement. (based on your location, and assuming your envoy was driven locally in the winter in salty roads) that would bring you close to your budget.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'd throw the Bilstein HD's on it with the new mounts and see how you like it. Exactly what I did and I have to say it handles better and although I feel more bumps in the road, I feel that it rides a lot smoother.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
meerschm said:
would be easier to shoot for handling like a new 2004 Envoy.

(assuming you already have all the maintenance items taken care of. nothing like the ride of a car on the side of the road which does not run)

I would just make sure the stock components are behaving properly, and replace as needed. (but that is me)

Shocks, Struts, stabilizer bar end links, stabilizer bar bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints. likely some of these need to be updated after 8 years.

I suggest a lifetime alignment before you replace anything, since you will want to have it checked after any maintenance.

also a lifetime balance deal for the tires. if they are new, or fairly new you could have this added. if not, when you put new tires on. balanced and properly inflated tires make a huge difference in ride and life of the tires.

Also a close check on the brakes, with attention to the back(inside) surface of the disks. they can rust up and give the braking action a shudder.

Prices from Rock Auto on higher end alternatives:
$100 two rear shocks
$260 two strut assy (will compromise spring matching, but I cannot tell the difference, and much easier to do)
$50 stabilizer bar end links front
$10 stabilizer bar bushings
$150 lifetime alignment

before spending more, I would check the status of the gas pump corrosion, find out if GM would help you if it goes, and if not, plan a replacement. (based on your location, and assuming your envoy was driven locally in the winter in salty roads) that would bring you close to your budget.

This assumes you will turn the wrenches yourself, and already have jack, stands, tools. (might need a few more, like 18mm wrench sockets, open end wrench and pitman arm puller)

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I would definitely do what you can on your own to save yourself money. My truck has not seen a shop or mechanic since the day after I brought it home(blower motor went out) plus that was before I found GMTN. If your nervous about doing something or dont know how to do something take your time asking questions and reading about the project. Never rush through your work or your truck will give you hell. Ask my husband (Phantom on here) about the first power steering pump lol. Torque wrenches are a must have as well.

You could look into the SS conversion unless you have the lwb? It will cost WAY more than $800 but you could do mods and projects one at a time which I recommend anyways.

Good luck!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Voymom said:
...plus that was before I found GMTN. .
Hehe. You were a lost puppy over at trailvoy first. :biggrin: Who found WHOM? :wootwoot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online