Need new brake pads

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Just got a new set of tires installed and the guy says my brake pads are getting pretty thin. Not at the wear indicator yet though. The thing is I don't remember having them changed out before and the truck has 121K on it. I bought it used with about 16K. Could they have really lasted that long? What pads do you recommend? Should I just get a set of Wearever pads from Advance for about $40-$50? Also the guy said I should have the rotors turned every time I change pads so the rotors are perfectly smooth and don't wear out the new pads as quickly. Makes sense, but it seems like overkill and I have never heard that before. Unless you can see marks in the rotor I would assume they are good and don't need to be turned every time. They also wanted $199 for the front and $199 for the back. I would rather get Brakemotive rotors and their free pads than pay that.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
While not un heard of that is pretty damn good. My OEM ones made it to about 100k miles, replaced with brake motive. A job that can be done in an afternoon, but you will need a breaker bar for the bracket bolts. Red loctite can be a pita.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I figure after 100k, why not just go with new disks and pads.

if you want, the right way is to check the thickness and runout. make sure you check both sides of each disk.

you probably do not have road salt, but if you get close to the ocean, you could have some corrosion. the inside of mine were so bad rusted, the pulsation was pretty bad.

cost equation is different if you do your own work, vs paying your guy to do it.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I too am on stock brakes at 122k, bought at 17k. I figured because they lasted this long I will replace with oem, maybe with an ext upgrade in front. This seems to be one thing that GM got right.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
How long do Brake Motives last? The stocks lasting 121K make me want to go back to them. I am debating on doing it myself.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
That depends highly on how one drives on them. I am sure others have not seen my life span and some perhaps longer. Heard nothing but good things about brakemotives around here though. Sorry I should clarify I am on original rotors and pads were changed after 100k. But still, unless there is an astronomical difference in price, I will stick with oems.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Well assuming your driving didn't change, did anyone have their Brake Motives last as long as their stock ones. So while they they may not get 100K out of them because they drive in the mountains pulling a trailer all the time, did they get 50K on the stock ones then get 50K on the new Brake Motives?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Like stated it depends on your driving habits and distances. A vehicle driven more highway will above less wear than a car drive in the city. As for the brake motives I'm estimating that I have about 3 years on them and a little over 30k miles, they still looked pretty good when I looked at them a few weeks ago.

My OEM rotors seem to become crap around 70k miles, and I replaced them at between 90 and 100k miles, which is what I'm estimating. I know some others have more mileage that could chime in.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
From reading past threads on brakes, I would assume that the brakemotives are for those that are a little harder on their rides than the rest of us or want an upgrade. Plus, they look "cool" :yes:. Most comments in these threads relate to braking performance and not longevity. I am waiting for someone to post an oem, ext upgrade on swb, and brakemotive braking comparison test :biggrin:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I'm considering doing the ext upgrade with the brake motive kit sometime in the near future. For now its 16" wheels so its going to be a while.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I'm considering doing the ext upgrade with the brake motive kit sometime in the near future.

:lightbulb:

That's a great idea! :yes: Thanks! May have to serious contemplate this

:tiphat:

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I recommend Akebono ceramic pads. Ceramic pads since they will not create grooves or brake dust and Akebono because as far as I know being on Trailvoy and GMT, they are the OEM manufacturer. You cannot go wrong at all.

They are at a premium price (because they are the best...((in my mind))) but you can get an AdvanceAuto discount code online or RockAuto offers them. So far with delivering pizzas and driving back and forth to school... I've had mine for ~50K miles/1 year and they have more than half life left. Great pads and no problems at all as in squeaks or rotor inconsistencies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online