Need more easy upgrades ideas

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
My 2008 TB is a LS base model. I wanted to add a few easy upgrades and creature comforts, so...

* I added the dimming rearview mirror with compass and outside temp
* Installed the side mirrors with turn signals and defrost
* Added homelink buttons for my garage door
* PCMofNC tranny cooler
* Deep aluminum transmission pan
* Autometer transmission temp gauge
* Pioneer video head unit with new front/rear speakers, carplay, and backup cam

Looking for some more ideas, anyone have something they added that was easy and awesome?

Last edited:

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Were seat warmers an option on these trucks? If so, would I have the wiring harness needed already maybe? I have cloth seats if that matters

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
They were an option, but are wired thru the DDM and PDM, pretty sure it would not be a plug and play, but you could add aftermarket.

Cargo cover in the back if its a SWB, Leather from a junkyard donor, SS Brakes and wheels or aftermarket, cluster that has DIC, Denali steering wheel (wood grain accents) with DIC controls, overhead console?, lowering kit if your into that, lifting kit if you are into that, SS rear and front bumper, and I am sure there are a few things I am forgetting.

Reactions: SpeedUp

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
- Tune
- And as @TollKeeper said, Cluster with a DIC along with steering column and wheel with switches (just did it, ain't too bad a job)
- Bigger SS front brakes. Just need the brackets and rotors.
- Fuzzy dice? :biggrin:

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Cluster sounds interesting, is that a plug-n-play job? What about the mileage?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not quite plug and play, need to run 4 wires to the cluster from the column. Also have to swap your key cylinder and VATS sensor if you don't have a Tech 2 or it won't start. Radio buttons won't work unless you can wire the resistor wires directly into the HU. Mileage will be whatever was on the junker (I know, major drag). There are reprogrammers available from China but that's an extra expense and may be in a grey zone for legality.

Other advantage is you get a nice leather wheel. In my case, I kept the key that came with the column as I could do the VTD relearn with my Tech 2 but now I have separate door and ignition keys (like the old days!)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the heated seats, you could just make your own wiring with a switch on the seat's side panel. Most used leather seats are junk though and the driver's usually has a broken element in the seat.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just wish with these kits had the ability to have just back heat like the stock units. Great for backaches.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Also have to swap your key cylinder and VATS sensor if you don't have a Tech 2 or it won't start.

I didn't do this step, and didn't have a problem :twocents:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tune

Tint

LED interior lights

LED license Plate lights and reverse lights

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I just wish with these kits had the ability to have just back heat like the stock units. Great for backaches.

Or even having the warmth... without it getting 'too warm'. I usually turn off the seat bottom after the initial warmup, and ride with the back 'on', eventually cutting that down to 'medium', as well. Perfect for running around on the cooler spring / fall days when it's a waste to wear a jacket for running from truck into store, etc.

The only complaint I have about GM's system is that (at least on the trucks?) it has to be switched on each time the truck is shut off / restarted, b/c of the momentary switches. IIRC, I even posted about changing this in the Envoy, once upon a time (my Hondas had rockers, and I prefer those... but the GM heaters are better)

Always nice to have 'more than you need' and not use it, than the other way around (or as the young'uns say... 'first world problems') :rolleyes:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I didn't do this step, and didn't have a problem :twocents:

Did you swap the whole steering column? On mine, I immediately got the security light and if VATS wasn't tuned out, it wouldn't have started.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Nope, got the DIC cluster off eBay, DIC steering wheel from another member, and a used clock spring from another member. Extended some wiring, made some connections, and done deal. :thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here's another one you might want to consider. De-racking. I just did it, give a much cleaner looking roof, like an SS. I used stainless set screws with thread sealer. I had one of the pressed nuts spin in the roof and had to seal it with RTV.

I'll likely get the bodyshop to permanently fill them in.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm and SpeedUp

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Very cool, sounds like some nice touches. :smile: Tuning is a great mod (good bang for the buck) if you are looking for more power!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.