Need help with some issues

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Hey guys got a couple of things if you can help me with.

1. My windshield whippers are very choppy when on. Sometimes kind of gets stuck and stops and then continues or its very choppy while they are on. But the rear whipper works just fine. I have good year whippers on the front and rainx on the back ones. Is this because the motor maybe is going bad for the whippers? If thats the case can someone show me where the motor is? Pictures would help a ton since I am a visual learner.

2. When I turn my car and is on idle or very low speeds I hear kind of like a raddle sound coming (assuming the location) from the back by the redo. Any idea maybe what that might be? The sound is hard to describe and the video didn't work out so well on hearing it. I can try again later

Thanks for any help in advance

edit: Here is the video of that sound

[video=youtube;TmhxXIb2ZZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmhxXIb2ZZU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
No one can help???

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
A lot of the guys are weekend warriors it seems so I'd just be patient to hear back.

As far as your resonator noise, that video is listed as private (only specific YouTube user names that you have granted access to can see it). You need to make it either public or unlisted (which is where only those people who have been given the exact URL can see it, but is not listed or able to be searched for on YouTube).

The wiper blades sound like they just need to be changed is all. As they get old, the rubber becomes dry and less flexible and will skip across the glass instead of a smooth motion. How old are they? Depending on how extreme the conditions are where you live, you may have to change them as frequently as 6 months. Treat yourself to some Bosch Icons (26" A for driver side wiper and 22" B for passenger side wiper).

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ItsOnVoy said:
1. My windshield whippers are very choppy when on. Sometimes kind of gets stuck and stops and then continues or its very choppy while they are on. But the rear whipper works just fine. I have good year whippers on the front and rainx on the back ones. Is this because the motor maybe is going bad for the whippers?
It's the motor for sure. But surely you know how to spell "wipers". :confused: :frown:
If thats the case can someone show me where the motor is?
Um, at the end of the shaft where the wipers attach. :confused: As a senior member, surely you've downloaded the manuals. :undecided:
Pictures would help a ton since I am a visual learner.
Who told you that? Actually, that's a catch phrase I hear far too often from young victims of the medical community. Car repair isn't supposed to be done from comic books. That's how military recruits are taught to fire howitzers and repair B-52s. Download the manuals to a real computer. It's all in there.
2. When I turn my car and is on idle or very low speeds I hear kind of like a raddle sound coming (assuming the location) from the back by the redo.
couple more misspellings. Please help us help you. We've discussed rattles for many years. It's typically a heat shield or a deteriorating muffler. Why are you STILL running around with the resonator on, BTW?
Any idea maybe what that might be? The sound is hard to describe and the video didn't work out so well on hearing it. I can try again later
Fixing the video would be a good first step.
ItsOnVoy said:
No one can help???
You catch more responses when using good spelling and accurate descriptions. At least around these parts. It's the nature of the forum. :thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
It's the motor for sure. But surely you know how to spell "wipers". :confused: :frown: Um, at the end of the shaft where the wipers attach. :confused: As a senior member, surely you've downloaded the manuals. :undecided:

I did download them, just been so long since I have touched them so I just need to dig them back up or download them again. But the rear wipers are working fine, do those have a separate motor or are they the same? Reason I ask is because if the motor is what is going bad wouldn't the back ones do the same thing?

It's typically a heat shield or a deteriorating muffler. Why are you STILL running around with the resonator on, BTW?Fixing the video would be a good first step.

Because I won't pay over $120 for a shop to remove it and many shops in my area will not remove it. I also do not have the tools to remove it so I keep it. Doesn't really bother me.

You catch more responses when using good spelling and accurate descriptions. At least around these parts. It's the nature of the forum. :thumbsup:

My mac has autocorrect and probably corrected what they thought I meant without me noticing. Mistakes happen, don't need to make them feel stupid for it!!

xtitan1 said:
A lot of the guys are weekend warriors it seems so I'd just be patient to hear back.

As far as your resonator noise, that video is listed as private (only specific YouTube user names that you have granted access to can see it). You need to make it either public or unlisted (which is where only those people who have been given the exact URL can see it, but is not listed or able to be searched for on YouTube).

The wiper blades sound like they just need to be changed is all. As they get old, the rubber becomes dry and less flexible and will skip across the glass instead of a smooth motion. How old are they? Depending on how extreme the conditions are where you live, you may have to change them as frequently as 6 months. Treat yourself to some Bosch Icons (26" A for driver side wiper and 22" B for passenger side wiper).

Fixed the video my fault! The wipers are only like 9 months old. We have the same wipers on our yukon and those have been on a bit longer also and doesn't do that.

edit: ok see if its working now

[video=youtube;Bc12Noh4VdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc12Noh4VdA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I honestly don't understand your question about the front and the rear. There are two separate motors. They are designed with different purposes, different internal gears, live in different environments, and they have different part numbers. The front one especially has been discussed here and on the OS in terms of getting water in the electrical portion of the motor assembly and corroding out and making it flaky.

The following Google search phrase will be fruitful, I promise:

wiper motor replacement site:trailvoy.com

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
I honestly don't understand your question about the front and the rear. There are two separate motors. They are designed with different purposes, different internal gears, live in different environments, and they have different part numbers. The front one especially has been discussed here and on the OS in terms of getting water in the electrical portion of the motor assembly and corroding out and making it flaky.

The following Google search phrase will be fruitful, I promise:

wiper motor replacement site:trailvoy.com

That is what I was wondering is if they are separate motors which makes sense that they are. Seems like the motor is due to be changed then thanks for the link!

For that rattle sound, how can I be positive on what it would be so I know what steps to take for it?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It would be an unreasonable design to have one motor, and run a flexible shaft the length of the vehicle through the liftgate hinge area and expect to have any power left to run the wiper. A big clue is that you can turn one on without the other. That sort of implies two motors, doesn't it? :crazy:

Bang on various things with a rubber mallet to locate the noisemaker. Wiggle them with your hand. Get down there and dirty. No substitute.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ItsOnVoy said:
For that rattle sound, how can I be positive on what it would be so I know what steps to take for it?

Do you have a bat, 2x4 or something like that. Put it against the resonator, sections of exhaust pipe, the muffler, and see if the noise changes or goes away. If/when it does, you've found your culprit. :twocents:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ItsOnVoy said:

I use a rubber mallet and politely smack the exhaust in the suspected areas. But in your video, it looked like the resonator was wiggling like part of the pipe that connects it to the muffler is broke.

edit - double ninja'd

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Okay got under it, second I hold the reso and the tip of it the sound goes away. So looks like getting rid of that is best option to fix that sound.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
In regards to the wiper motor. It could just be grease on the contacts. Take the motor out (under the cowl), open it up and you'll see the contacts...looks like 2 fingers that make contact with a circle. If the circle contact has grease on it, wipe it clean with paper towels, put back together and reinstall...bob's your uncle, fixed. :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online