Need help! Front struts topping out!

Reytorr1

Original poster
May 4, 2020
Texas
Greetings everyone!

I am new to the forums and I apologize if I am posting in wrong section, I currently own a 2008 trailblazer LT SWB that I just recently lifted last Thursday, and I am having issues with the front struts topping out when I go over a slight bump in road or small pothole. There is a loud bang and it sounds horrible, I believe the springs may be settling a bit since the bang isn’t as bad is it was the first few days but it is still there, this is what’s done to it:
-supreme suspension 3 inch front/3 inch rear lift
-moog 81114 front springs
-bilstein 4600 series front struts and rear shocks
-rear springs are stock.
I currently run 265/60/18 BFG KO2s and still have a bit more clearance to go a bit bigger on tires.
I am planning on adding a front steel bumper in the near future and should weigh approximately 160 pounds. Would that be enough to keep the front suspension from topping out or is there anything I can do to prevent front struts from topping out with current set up? Aside from this issue the good ol TB actually rides like a truck and I love the look. I would appreciate any input/comments/suggestions!

Thanks!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
114 springs without extra weight from skids or winch or bumper or all will do that. You currently have the bit of lift from the springs and the 3 inch lift which should have been max. Until you add the weight to put the springs down a bit, you don't really have an option.

Reytorr1

Original poster
May 4, 2020
Texas
114 springs without extra weight from skids or winch or bumper or all will do that. You currently have the bit of lift from the springs and the 3 inch lift which should have been max. Until you add the weight to put the springs down a bit, you don't really have an option.

Thanks for the input! Do you think an approximately 160 pound bumper would be enough to keep front end from maxing out?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@Reytorr1 Not sure if it will help with topping out but did you flip and swap your upper control arms? I know must or all of the lifted crowd do it. When it comes to lifted @HARDTRAILZ is pretty much all knowing since he's run a few different setups.

Reytorr1

Original poster
May 4, 2020
Texas
@Reytorr1 Not sure if it will help with topping out but did you flip and swap your upper control arms? I know must or all of the lifted crowd do it. When it comes to lifted @HARDTRAILZ is pretty much all knowing since he's run a few different setups.

I actually haven’t yet! I will be flipping the upper control arms along with replacing the upper ball joints this weekend.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The flip will help your ball joint angle only. Definitely needs done and will require alignment after, but the lift creates a need for alignment anyway. I liked to eyeball the alignment and jive everything a couple weeks to settle in before getting an alignment. Just seemed to work better for me.

Reytorr1

Original poster
May 4, 2020
Texas
The flip will help your ball joint angle only. Definitely needs done and will require alignment after, but the lift creates a need for alignment anyway. I liked to eyeball the alignment and jive everything a couple weeks to settle in before getting an alignment. Just seemed to work better for me.

@HARDTRAILZ 10-4. I’ll go on ahead and allow time for everything to settle then I’ll go ahead and get an alignment. I’ll still be flipping the UCA’s this weekend along with new balljoints. Also where can I order the skid plates for radiator and oil pan?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online