Need help choosing right cat to order today!

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Looking at ordering the bank 1 o2 sensor and cat conv. today off rockauto but wanted to double check I looked up the right o2 sensor and need help deciding what cat I need! :biggrin:

99% sure this is the right sensor as it says bank 1, is AC delco, and has a heart symbol beside it meaning they sell alot of it.

ACDELCO Part # 2131698 {#12586996}
SENSOR,HTD OXY(POSN 1) IN EXHAUST MANIFOLD

RockAuto Parts Catalog

There is 4 choices for cats, 2 of which are Magnaflows with a decent price difference.....so im confused.

MAGNAFLOW Part # 23967
Direct-Fit; Federal Emissions (Exc.CA); Not For Sale Or Use In The State Of California; LS Model; LT Model $214.79

CATCO Part # 9154 Direct Fit; Not Legal For Sale Or Use In The State Of California
$224.79

MAGNAFLOW Part # 49191
Direct Fit OEM GRADE OBDII (Exc.CA); Not For Sale Or Use In The State Of California; LS Model; LT Model
Federal & California Emission vehicles.; LT Model; LS Model
$332.79

EASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTERS Part # 50407 57" Overall Length; 1 Front Gasket
DIRECT FIT; EXT; EXT LT; EXT LS; Not legal for sale or use in the state of California
$242.79

So which cat should I go with?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
The Magnaflow with OEM performance is going to sound like OEM. I have the Magnaflow performance and can hear a tiny bit of aggression in the exhaust. And it's cheaper too as you have found.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I have this one on...and recommend it. You will need to modify it a bit for the LWB vehicles...but should be a big deal if you are welding it...cannabilize some length from the unit being removed.

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
ok, so I wont have to modify anything if we have the Shorter or Normal wheel base right?

I originally planned to get the cat conv. with best flow while keeping OEM sound, but I cant justify an extra $100 just to NOT sound slightly aggressive. I will go with the same as you (MAGNAFLOW Part # 23967) and hopefully the difference in sound will be slight. :biggrin:

I also originally assumed that these HAD to be welded in, but they dont right? unbolts with gaskets at both ends right?

Thanks so much for imput and helping me realize the difference!! :thumbsup:

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Let me know how it goes looking to do the same as you, Both the Cat and sensors. I believe the cat has 4 bolts two on each side and gaskets. Won't the Magnaflow cat fit an envoy also? Right? Just making sure sorry didn't mean to ask a Q in your thread.

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Will deff let you know how it goes. Ordered everything today around 1PM and hopefully pipe and sensor will be here by Friday at latest. :smile:

And no problem on asking a question, yes the envoy and TB's are the same only thing I recently found out about was that if you have a Long Wheel Base, you have to "customize" it. Sounded like you had to cut off a small piece and add to it to make it longer.....yikes. Luckily I have a short wheel base, and pretty sure you do too, so we should be good to go. :biggrin:

Anyone know if pipe comes with gaskets for the magnaflow?

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
MedicatedMike said:
Will deff let you know how it goes. Ordered everything today around 1PM and hopefully pipe and sensor will be here by Friday at latest. :smile:

And no problem on asking a question, yes the envoy and TB's are the same only thing I recently found out about was that if you have a Long Wheel Base, you have to "customize" it. Sounded like you had to cut off a small piece and add to it to make it longer.....yikes. Luckily I have a short wheel base, and pretty sure you do too, so we should be good to go. :biggrin:

Anyone know if pipe comes with gaskets for the magnaflow?

I read the description on another site and It says its a bolt on installation, So I am assuming yes. I just looked at my cat, And Holy Sh*t its going to be hard to get those front bolts off an on considering the amount of space and horrible angle there is to work on it. How do you plan on gettin those out?:undecided:

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
medicatedmike said:
ok, so i wont have to modify anything if we have the shorter or normal wheel base right? Yes

i originally planned to get the cat conv. With best flow while keeping oem sound, but i cant justify an extra $100 just to not sound slightly aggressive. I will go with the same as you (magnaflow part # 23967) and hopefully the difference in sound will be slight. :biggrin: Yes

i also originally assumed that these had to be welded in, but they dont right? Unbolts with gaskets at both ends right? Yes...i meant they welded the extra length...you are correct...it is "direct fit" at the bracket.

Thanks so much for imput and helping me realize the difference!! :thumbsup:
you like it!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online