Need better sound

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Need some help on this. Replaced the stereo and door speaker in my trailblazer with a pioneer head unit (tuner only no cd) with jvc 2 way speakers and ran new wire but doesn't sound so good. Is there any speaker component system that sounds good in these? The factory dash tweeters are not hooked up wich may explain the lack of highs but I'm sure there is some setup gor these as far as 2 or 3 way speakers for these trucks with new tweeters. Any suggestions?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you have tweeters in the dash, then you have the Bose system. If the 2 ways you have are being run off the Bose amp, that would certainly explain the crappy sound, since they aren't being sent the high frequencies. If you wired the new speakers directly off the new HU, then that's different. Which route did you go with?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I take it adjusting the EQ or using any of the preset sound configurations didn't make things any better? I'm not thinking your speakers are power starved, so running them off the HU should be plenty of juice. But I guess if they aren't good enough, switching to components would be the way to go. I know some people have cut holes in their door panels to put the tweeters in front of the door handles, others have put the tweeters in the dash vents (if they didn't have bose) I guess that depends on how the crossovers are setup and where you can place them conveniently.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I ran my own speaker wires from the hu. Took the bose amp out of the loop. Blown anyway.
Did you add an amp back or are you only running the speakers off of the power coming from the head unit? Do you have the 8 in door speakers or the 6.5 in?

I have the 8 in in mine and my head unit puts out about 250 amps and that was NOT enough power for even the stock speakers. I had to hook the bose amp back up and then they sounded AMAZING!

Probably would be better with new speakers and ANY other amp, but they do have some pretty good bass now.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
I would either get an aftermarket amp or get a bose amp from the junkyard. It should fix your issue.

Without the bose amp, mine would play music but, the volume was so low, I had to turn the volume near max just to get to basic stock volume of 10 or so.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Well, I already basically removed the Bose system. The amp is still in there but the fuse is pulled because of a humming noise and battery drain issues. I am using the PAC RP5GM11 interface box. Also still plugged into the factory harness. Just ran new wire to the speaker wires off the interface box so, don't know if thats causing any issues or not. Maybe just cheap speakers?

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Just trying to achieve simple hu to 4 or 6 (with new dash tweeters) speaker setup. Just sounds a little drowned out for some reason. Can take pics if need be of the connections.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
There's a pretty specific bypass procedure that you would need to do to bypass the amp and still have everything else functional.

I think with that PAC RP5GM11 you lose your steering wheel controls?

You are for sure going to have to either bypass the bose amp and install an aftermarket amp. Or, replace the bose amp from a junkyard/used bose amp to get any kind of decent sound/bass.

Bypass instructions:

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
If it were me, I would still bypass with an adapter. You might be ok as is but, I don't know where that amp runs all the other wires. Only you know how everything is truly wired in your vehicle. You could check the wiring diagrams from Mooseman's signature to verify if the other wires are powering anything else that may need to be bypassed.

Have you checked the power output that your head unit puts out to the speakers (each channel)? Those 6.5's would need at least 250 watts total output for a decent sound. 300-400 watts would be ideal (without a sub).

Here's a video that gives a pretty good walk-through on the setup and wiring for a Tahoe.

Reactions: Tordenskjold

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
I think the maximum wattage for the door speakers is 110 watts. You're barely pushing them at 50 watts per channel.

You could unplug the amp but, I would investigate what all it's feeding and being fed electronically from your vehicle first.

think you're going to need an amplifier either way though.

I think I'm going to install this amp in the next few weeks (or one similar to it). It's half the price of the Bose amp.

It's not available there but it is at other sites.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Ok. Might be a crappy hu. Adjustment for highs and lows, no mid level adjustment! So, don't know if it's a descent one or not. Pioneer MVH-S21BT. Digital media, no cd. Will upgrade that later. Right now what component setup should I look into. 2 way, 3 way, full range with dash tweeters. Way too many choices and I know very little about car audio. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
That is the cheapest unit pioneer makes so thats probably the trouble. I just put a kenwood in mine rated at 22w per channel. 4 6.5" good coaxial speakers rated for 250W and im blown away by how good it sounds. Now granted Im not looking for no thumping noises or anything. Just good clear volume from the FM dial and internet. Speakers come with built in tweeters so i couldnt see the trouble of trying to put those dash mounted ones in....

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Thanks. I'll start looking for a better hu. Just trying to re-produce the bose sound with aftermarket components. People have said bose sounds great when working properly. Or whatever works good with the truck design. Definitely want the tweeters back in the dash but, don't know about the door speakers. Woofer or 2 way?

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
These are the latest model of the 1's I used. Now rated 320W. I kind of hate to recommend them though if your looking for Bose quality sound. Im not sure what Bose sounds like as Ive never been around an Envoy that had it. These are definitely an upgrade from the old RDS system I had but I have no idea if this will get you into the Bose ballpark...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195J6DF2/?tag=gmtnation-20

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online