Need answer fast so I can reassemble. Are these clips even need for the brake shoes?

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
Here is the pic the question is in the title, go......lol

Attachments

• E0E1C2CB-68A8-4522-B327-7D247DD992E1.jpeg
    E0E1C2CB-68A8-4522-B327-7D247DD992E1.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 35

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those are necessary to allow the pads to slide on the caliper. And you only have one? There should be two per caliper, one at each end of the pads. They usually come with new pads.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Those are necessary to allow the pads to slide on the caliper. And you only have one? There should be two per caliper, one at each end of the pads. They usually come with new pads.
I only see them come with the top of the line pads around here. At least from the big three - advance, autozone, and oriellys.

Can usually be bought separate though for the cases where it's not included.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For the sake of Safety... @Mooseman 's information cannot be over-emphasized. From 27:00 onward into the linked Video... Eric "O" from South Main Auto provides a Perfect "How-To" for Brake Repairs on Large GM-GMC Trucks. He also explains the Engineering Reasoning for the design of those simple S/S Clips ...and he demonstrates what happens when things REALLY go sideways with them:

(For those in need of a Disc Brake Double Piston Push-Back Tool)

LISLEDBLPISTONPUSHBACKTOOL1.jpgLISLEDBLPISTONPUSHBACKTOOL2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Here is the pic the question is in the title, go......lol
I would make sure they are as clean as they can be - especially removing the paint from them.
In my update post on my brake issues thread I detail the problems I was experiencing, partly due to having a residue on these shims:

If you can find shims to replace what's missing, clean them with acetone to get them 100% clean. Otherwise, get new.
Also, when installing the shims, they should "clip" in securely. You should not have to hold them in place. If you have to hold them in place, you'll need to adjust them so that they stay put - likely opening the gaps that go into the slots at the top and bottom of the bracket. This gap tends to get closed and increases the friction on the tabs of the pads - meaning, they don't slide in and out like they should.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.