Need advice installing Envoy Transfer Case please?

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hi,
So here's my dilemma. I installed a new transmission in my '06 envoy. I fabricated an adapter plate for my floor jack for the trans. that actually worked better than I thought it would. I'm nearing the end of this debacle and I am not strong enough to lift the transfer case up while I am on my back under the car to install it.

So I made this ... "thing" out of wood that holds the TC in place and mated it to my DIY trans adapter. I still can't get the F'ing thing in because it needs to be turned about an inch counter clockwise. It is not clocked right and I cannot turn it while it is up to the rear of the transmission.

I was going to spring for one of those transmission jack adapters but they don't allow you to spin it they only appear to be able to tilt it front to back.

I don't have any friends. All of my family lives on the other side of the country and I can't muscle the thing up there myself. I have really tried but my twig like arms can't do it. I"m currently trying to find another way.

The other problem that I have is that I only have about 8" of space on both sides of the vehicle and about 18 " in front of it in my garage. So fabricating anything is tough with no room to work. I know it looks bleak but thought I'd at least throw this out to the guys who really know what they are doing to see if anyone has any ideas that I can try.
Thanks in Advance!

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I was in that same exact pickle you're in right now. I had the AWD transfer case though, it might be a little lighter than your 4x4 TC.

So, I jacked my vehicle up high enough so that I could place the TC on my chest and still be able to slide (on my back or on a creeper) under the vehicle without hitting the frame.

I had to keep trying that about 10-20 times on different days. I just couldn't get it up near the transmission the right way. I used both hands to get it off of my chest (struggling) and then started to use my knees to help turn it clock-wise/counter clock-wise.

I don't know how far down you could drop it... But, you may want to place a car jack under the transmission, then remove the transmission cross-member, and then slowly let the transmission come down. You will have to be careful so that the engine does not hit the firewall.

That might give you an easier way to connect the transfer case to the transmission with ith be lower and at a downward angle to you.

Reactions: Mooseman

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I was in that same exact pickle you're in right now. I had the AWD transfer case though, it might be a little lighter than your 4x4 TC.

So, I jacked my vehicle up high enough so that I could place the TC on my chest and still be able to slide (on my back or on a creeper) under the vehicle without hitting the frame.

I had to keep trying that about 10-20 times on different days. I just couldn't get it up near the transmission the right way. I used both hands to get it off of my chest (struggling) and then started to use my knees to help turn it clock-wise/counter clock-wise.

I don't know how far down you could drop it... But, you may want to place a car jack under the transmission, then remove the transmission cross-member, and then slowly let the transmission come down. You will have to be careful so that the engine does not hit the firewall.

That might give you an easier way to connect the transfer case to the transmission with ith be lower and at a downward angle to you.
Ok Thanks. I think I maybe just need to keep trying, including what you suggested. The first day I tried it was near the end of the day so I said let me start fresh in the morning. 8 hours later on day 2 it fell off the jack and I had just had it at that point. i went to bed exhausted and dejected. Tonight will be the third try and I'm totally dismayed right now because I've never had a problem like this beat me and normally I will eventually find a way, but right now things are looking grim. I'm so close to finishing this transmission swap too. I didn't think this would hold me up. I did the rebuild myself as well so I'd hate to get through this and then have the thing grenade on me the first time I put it in drive. Thanks again for your reply. I am picturing what you were going through and I'm going to try that tonight when I get home from work.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Aww shucks... I was hoping someone had a brilliant idea and a way for a weakling like me to get this TC up and turned the right way to install it. Guess I better start eating my spinach! :smile:

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
The car jack and wood/spacers is your best bet. I mean...

If you're crafty and don't mind drilling a large hole through your floor or you could try rigging up a brace with a few pulleys. A come-along would make it pretty easy in with idea.

You could also pay to have a mobile mechanic come help you for 30 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmonica

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Getting it up there is the biggest battle. Once you slip it onto the tranny output shaft, you can just hold it there and spin it until the bolt holes line up.

The idea of a mobile mechanic giving you a hand is a good one, albeit at an extra expense. That or hit the gym :biggrin:. There should be a way to get it up there with the tranny jack.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hehe thanks. I think I just need to tweak the thing I made out of wood. I had it on the shaft at one point. The bolts were hitting the trans though and preventing me from spinning it. I tried to move it out just a hair so that I could spin it and it fell out so that's when I got aggravated after 8 hours and gave up. I also thought of another way that, when I say it out loud sounds like the most idiotic thing, but I really feel like it might work. If I string a couple of ratchet straps from frame rail to frame rail, get it up high enough, I think then I could spin it an inch or two either way. Man that does sound ridiculous.
The idea of a mobile mechanic does sound like a good idea though. I’ll save that as a last resort I think. I’ve never had something like this beat me to the point where I couldn’t eventually find a way to get it done. Paying someone to do it for me is just so demoralizing. Thanks guys for your help! I really do appreciate it!

Last edited:

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
I would start with that idea actually.

Put two ratchet straps at each end of the TC. Slowly raise the TC with the Jack. As you raise it with the Jack tighten the two ratchet straps with it. When you get it in line with the TC, you should be able to maneuver the TC just right to the transmission.

Good luck!

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I would start with that idea actually.

Put two ratchet straps at each end of the TC. Slowly raise the TC with the Jack. As you raise it with the Jack tighten the two ratchet straps with it. When you get it in line with the TC, you should be able to maneuver the TC just right to the transmission.

Good luck!
Ok I'm going to give it a shot tonight! Thanks Maverick. Not that anyone cares but I will post back my results. My thinking is if its suspended from the straps (with the jack underneath just in case) I should be able to at least turn it enough to get the bolt holes lined up. With you supporting my idea, I think I will give it a try now. Thank You again!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would likely use 2 ratchet straps, one on the front and rear. use a small plank of wood to connect the 2, the TC will move a lot easier on the wood, and not very good on the straps (fabric will dig into anything, where the wood wont). But I cant visualize how to get it to work, unless you get the TC up on the straps, and roll it onto the wood plank.

If I lived closer, I would come and help... But im like 2500 miles away!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We do care because we're not all built like Arnold (the younger one!) and also getting old takes strength away.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
@jmonica I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your ratchet strap setup with the TC sitting on them. That may help the next person who ends up in that situation as well.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
@jmonica I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your ratchet strap setup with the TC sitting on them. That may help the next person who ends up in that situation as well.
Hi,
So finally, after a lot of wasted time and many made up curse words (because I ran of the oldie but goodies), I was able to get the transfer case up, clocked and installed! Woohoo! Yes! Yeah baby!

I used a combination of the two methods you had mentioned [Maverick]. I modified my original wooden stand for my floor jack and added a metal plate and a shaft that went into the hole on my floor jack. I want to say the socket I cut up and welded was a 13/16 impact socket but not 100% on that. With the black coating ground off of it removed before welding it of course.

Then I strapped the TC to that, inserted it into the floor jack. I lined it up under the car, jacked it up and got the center input shaft just barely inside the trans. It would not have stayed there without support. The problem is you can't get it in far enough to hold it in place because the studs on the TC prevent it from being pushed in any further. Unless of course the studs and holes on the trans are lined up, which is the point of all of this).

So once shaft was centered and just slightly inserted, I strung two ratchet straps from frame rail to frame rail to hold the TC in place. One in back and one towards the front. IN order for the straps to be high enough to support it in place, you have to wrap the straps over the frame rail and then find a place to hook it to. If you don't run it over the top, the straps don't sit high enough to support the TC.

Straps tight and in place, I then gently lowered the jack just to make sure this plan was working. The quality of the straps I was using is questionable. OK everything holding firm, I released the jack completely and it separated from the TC which was now supported by just the straps.

At that point it was easy. I just got under the TC and was able to turn and adjust the angle just slightly enough to get it lined up. Once I got the bolts lined up, I pushed it in far enough to get a nut on two of the bolts and I breathed a big sigh of relief. Finally! Victory! The rest is as they say, history.

Here are a couple of pics as promised but I'm really bummed I couldn't get better ones. I was worried about it once it was strapped without the jack so I was trying to kind of move quickly to get it secured somehow. As I mentioned, I had no assistance on this so nobody there to even take the pics. Also, sadly after I took the 2 pics of it strapped, my phone died on the spot. So I would have had to get out from under, wait for it charge long enough to power back on etc. So I have 2 lousy pics of it strapped up and semi inserted into the trans with no nuts yet and without the jack
Envoy _TC_Strapped_01.jpg

Envoy _TC_Strapped_02.jpg
and 2 pics of the ridiculous looking wooden thing that I made (please don't laugh, it worked!) to hold it in place on the floor jack.
DIY_TC_Stand_01.jpg
DIY_TC_Stand_02.jpg
When working alone like this, I often have to get "creative"and devise ways to hold things. I am thinking about patenting the wooden holder and selling them on eBay. I think they could sell for a couple hundred bucks each no problem? I'm joking of course!

Anyway, I cannot thank you enough for all of your tips and suggestions. Sometimes just talking about it with someone can bring about new thoughts that you hadn't thought of before even if you're not verbalizing them. I always think best when I'm driving alone in my car.

So now I just have to fill the fluids, install the two new u-joints into the driveshafts, replace that freaking air baffle thing, charge the battery and I am ready to test the rebuild. I'm very nervous! In fact I can feel myself stalling on finishing the bits because if I screwed up the rebuild and have to pull it out again, I'm going to cry and then cry some more. It's freaking cold in my garage! Thanks again everyone especially Maverick on this one!

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I would likely use 2 ratchet straps, one on the front and rear. use a small plank of wood to connect the 2, the TC will move a lot easier on the wood, and not very good on the straps (fabric will dig into anything, where the wood wont). But I cant visualize how to get it to work, unless you get the TC up on the straps, and roll it onto the wood plank.

If I lived closer, I would come and help... But I'm like 2500 miles away!
Hey thanks. I appreciate the sentiment. I'm like that too. If a dude needs help with his car or anything for that matter. You only have to ask me once and I'm there. This would have been a one minute process with another set of hands, but instead its been tens of wasted hours.

The "friends" I do have are not into cars at all so even after telling them my sob story of how I only need to lift it another half inch to be finished. Not a single one of those ... said hey I can stop by and help. At least say, I'd help but I have hemorrhoids today or something. Nope, I got crickets. I don't think they even knew what I was talking about. To them a transfer case is made by Samsonite and you check it at the airport when you fly.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Well done and congratulations! Thank you for the pics as well. I'm sure that will help someone in the near future.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online