Need a new radiator... Preference?

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Noticed coolant level dropping, so after running through the tests I narrowed it down to the radiator being cracked. Only leaks under pressure at cold engine temps and I can not see the leak directly but it is running down onto the bottom of radiator very slowly from the back half underneath. No signs any where else whatsoever.

My question is which radiator should I replace it with? Rockauto has an ACDelco I almost ordered. I've kept my ride as close to oem as possible but really do not want a plastic radiator. But aluminum scares me with the salt around here. :confused: Thanks in advance!

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
From other radiators that I have torn apart, it should be only the fins that are aluminum. The actual coolant tubes should be made of copper or a copper alloy.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I have a basic aftermarket Spectra Premium radiator in my SS... while installing my e-fans 2 years ago, we popped a hole in the OEM one... my brother worked at a body shop at the time, so he got me that Spectra one at his cost... OEM for me was I think about $400... no thank you lol... its held up perfectly fine the past 2 years... granite my SS doesn't see rain or snow, or the damn road lately for that matter lol, but its held up just fine...

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
What is the cost difference? I really would not pay too much for OEM.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I had bought a new, generic one off of ebay for around $100 a few years back for my '02, quality and fit was acceptable

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
Check out Northern Cooling they have two places in MN.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
$230ish locally from dealer, $150 new aftermarket- Top Gear was on missed brand but has lifetime warranty, or $55 used from same parts warehouse.

With lifetime warranty should be quicker and cheaper than waiting for Rockauto to send me an ACDelco and used scares me especially when coming from older vehicles knowing that mine leaked slow enough that it would ruin my day down the road... Used ones have a 6month warranty though. Anyone firmly against used radiators? $100 sounds nice to keep in my pocket and maybe buy all new hoses too :undecided:

barron03: Thanks! Just called but may have to wait until Mon.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I used one of these: 2002 - CHEVROLET - TRAILBLAZER | New Radiator at Discount Prices . They are local for me so made it quicker for me to get it done. 1 1/2 years, so far so good. It's made in China and I suspect the majority are all from the same place. They do offer a lifetime warranty for a fee (which I took).

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
I purchased mine from 800radiator. I paid $155 cause I wanted the better radiator and I had a coupon from looking them up on my phone. It has a lifetime warranty and the have locations nation wide.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online