NAV System?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
So i really wanted to go with Delphi nav system but it look's like that will not work. I guess because i don't have ONSTAR or any GHZ stock antennas nor do i have steering wheel controls.

Alright so iv been looking at a few different brand names that are not going to cost me my first new born($_$), Jensen,Pioneer and Pyle.
In the past iv had decent Pyle Aftermarket stereos(not nav) and they were Iight, But what I'd like to know is whats the best in the $250-$400 price range? Used isn't a concern to me, just as long as it works, Scratches are okay as long as its not the screen! I want a NAV to replace the factory stereo but also so i can plug in my Icom IC-7000. I don't normally make phone calls while driving, so i don't think ill need Fancy Bluetooth NAV.:undecided:

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Ghost said:
So i really wanted to go with Delphi nav system but it look's like that will not work. I guess because i don't have ONSTAR or any GHZ stock antennas nor do i have steering wheel controls.

Alright so iv been looking at a few different brand names that are not going to cost me my first new born($_$), Jensen,Pioneer and Pyle.
In the past iv had decent Pyle Aftermarket stereos(not nav) and they were Iight, But what I'd like to know is whats the best in the $250-$400 price range? Used isn't a concern to me, just as long as it works, Scratches are okay as long as its not the screen! I want a NAV to replace the factory stereo but also so i can plug in my Icom IC-7000. I don't normally make phone calls while driving, so i don't think ill need Fancy Bluetooth NAV.:undecided:

My self-upgraded Delphi (2006 TNR) uses a hidden GPS antenna and is not dependent on OnStar (mine is unplugged), XM option or Steering Wheel Controls option.
The only dependency I know of for the NAV System is you must have factory installed Bose.
The 2002 to early 2004 used a "LUX" Bose HU and Amp, and after that used a "Non-LUX" Bose HU and Amp.

From what I understand you can get the early 2002-2004 NAV HU "INR cursor type" units in both versions, but the later 2005-up NAV "TNR Touchscreen type" was mostly used with the Non-LUX Bose Amps after that.

I also heard rumors that the TNR NAV HUs could be software switched between LUX and Non-LUX.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
BRomanJr said:
My self-upgraded Delphi (2006 TNR) uses a hidden GPS antenna and is not dependent on OnStar (mine is unplugged), XM option or Steering Wheel Controls option.
The only dependency I know of for the NAV System is you must have factory installed Bose.
The 2002 to early 2004 used a "LUX" Bose HU and Amp, and after that used a "Non-LUX" Bose HU and Amp.

From what I understand you can get the early 2002-2004 NAV HU "INR cursor type" units in both versions, but the later 2005-up NAV "TNR Touchscreen type" was mostly used with the Non-LUX Bose Amps after that.

I also heard rumors that the TNR NAV HUs could be software switched between LUX and Non-LUX.

What's the difference between cursor and touch I guess touch is well touch and cursor uses a mouse ??? Lol stupid. I just want a touch screen nav dnt need any fancy switches.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Ghost said:
What's the difference between cursor and touch I guess touch is well touch and cursor uses a mouse ??? Lol stupid. I just want a touch screen nav dnt need any fancy switches.

As you surmised, The older Cursor units (INR) had a small set (4) of arrow buttons in a circle and an enter key in the middle, all located on the front panel.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You can easily find a TNR touch screen. But before you buy anything, Delphi, or aftermarket, you need to find out some info on your truck..

You have an 04 model. This year came with a couple options in regards to the sound. You could have Lux-Bose, non-Lux-Bose, and non-lux/non-bose..

Look at your RPO label. Its inside your glove box. Look to see if you have the 3 digit code of UM8. If you have this code, that means your Bose. If you dont have that code, I am not sure what radio you have to buy.

next you will need to find out what your exact build date. Right at the end of November of 03 (04 model year) they switched from Lux to Non-Lux. My build date on my door shows November 2003, which means I should have the Lux system. But my exact build date is Dec 3 2003. That means I had a Non-Lux. I wasted some time and money buying the wrong radio before I figured that out. You will then have to buy the correct Nav unit. 15800000 or 15800001 (I dont remember which one is lux, and which one wasnt). Then take it to your dealer to get the VIN cleared after you have it installed. Dont forget to install a GPS antenna too!

I always recomend buying stock systems. They are alot less likely to be stolen, can be had cheaper than most after market systems, and you dont have to buy any special adaptors for it to work. You can modify them for a very reasonable price to take BlueTooth (BlueFusion is the bomb!!).

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I bought a tablet and made a cheap mount for it in my truck and use the free navigation that Google gives me.. Just throwing that out there.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Canary2323 said:
I bought a tablet and made a cheap mount for it in my truck and use the free navigation that Google gives me.. Just throwing that out there.

Lol I have a Xoom I use mobile but it be nice to have a real nav system. Wink.

GavinVoy

Aug 19, 2012
one of the cheapest brands that I have seen that had decent reviews is a brand called Eonon. you can find them for sale on ebay. to get a good idea of what you want, check out their website: www.eonon.com

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
GavinVoy said:
one of the cheapest brands that I have seen that had decent reviews is a brand called Eonon. you can find them for sale on ebay. to get a good idea of what you want, check out their website: www.eonon.com

Very cool, thanks for the site. They dont have chevy/gm on there spacific car list. There is a double din model on the site for like $200 not bad..but still need the special module for the door chime and other stuff its a wiring harness. I believe if I just hooked it up and drove off my truck would shut off due to improper installation

GavinVoy

Aug 19, 2012
Ghost said:
Very cool, thanks for the site. They dont have chevy/gm on there spacific car list. There is a double din model on the site for like $200 not bad..but still need the special module for the door chime and other stuff its a wiring harness. I believe if I just hooked it up and drove off my truck would shut off due to improper installation

i dont think that many companies would make a vehicle specific HU. To my knowledge just about any DD HU will work in the trailvoy, and if it doesnt a little sawing is in order. even crutchfield will say that. It is true that you would need a module for the chimes-n-stuff, but that would be true for any aftermarket HU. I dont believe your truck would not work if you didnt have one, i dont. i dont have chimes or onstar, but then again i couldnt tell you when i needed it... one of the few things would to be, is to get the power source right. obviously there is more to it, but you get the picture.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I've got the OEM Nav's in both of my 360's. I only really like that I can see where I am going on the map like when I am trying to find a where the kids' football game is and I know I'm close. The actual input of an address is really slow and cumbersum and many times it doesn't recognize addresses and I have the updated nav disc. The actual radio controls are lacking and they could have done so much more such as an equalizer or DSP or even any of the things they were doing in the early 1990s, etc. If I were you and was starting fresh, I agree that an aftermarket would be the way to go. For me the ability to sync my iphone via blue tooth and listen to pandora without plugging in the cord every time would be a huge step up. I'm an all oem guy and don't mess around with aftermarket so live with whatever came on the trucks and find work arounds if needed. The Nav to the untrained eye when they are in my trucks looks impressive but it isn't.

Jul 24, 2012
Paper maps get me everywhere I need to go. I've got a main, spiral bound metro map, and then state and county maps stuffed into the passengers door.:biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.