Nasty grind Drivers rear wheel

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
We really aren't sure what is causing it but it sounds like you have hit the key when the vehicle is already running. That's the type of horrible grinding sound. It doesn't happen all the time and only happens when we leave the house in the morning. Back out of the driveway (no sound) put it in drive and there it is (again not all the time) hit the brakes a few times and it seems to go away. At first we thought a stone or something had gotten stuck between the pad and the rotor but that would be a one time thing. It's not the warning clip sound and there is no scoring on the rotor. The sound happens with and with out the brake applied but applying the brake several times does make it go away. Like I said it isn't a everyday thing either. Any ideas?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Could be a stone or emergency brake fragments INSIDE the rear rotor drum where it's more difficult to look. Do you regularly use your ebrake? Does the sound change if you activate it while moving? Ebrake noises are almost always directional, and make more noise while moving one way than the other.

axle70.jpg

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
No, I know I have never had to use the Ebrake and doubt very much Gregg has. We did the front pads about 6 months ago but the pads were fine, it was a loose clip causing the noise and that noise was completely different. He changed the pads anyway. If it's not raining tomorrow he may yank off the tire and check the rotor, Caliper etc.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I'm thinking a small rock may have gotten in there but once he takes the tire off you'll know for sure. I hope that is whats going on and not anything major

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Need to borrow your pic Roadie since it's far easier than going out and pulling my brakes.

When I changed my brakes, this shield was rusted on the top and had raised pieces of metal which was rubbing the rotor. Made a nasty sound....just something to check. This surface runs very tight to the rotor.

Attachments

• axle70a.jpg
    axle70a.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 4

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
finely got to show Gregg the pick Roadie (he thought I was nuts when I was describing it lol) The idea about checking that ridge and looking for stones is good too. Hopefully we'll get a chance to check it out tomorrow. I'll try to get picts of what we see.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
It was too late today to yank it all apart but it's looking like rusty back plate may win the prize. Took the tire off and feeling around I was pulling out large chunks of rust. We even noticed there is no back plate on the passenger side at all. (not sure if that is normal or not :S) But hanging up side down is not the best position to get perspective lol. Anyway, not too worried about it now but will dive deeper when stores are open just in case something breaks while taking it apart.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Mrs Homer said:
It was too late today to yank it all apart but it's looking like rusty back plate may win the prize. Took the tire off and feeling around I was pulling out large chunks of rust. We even noticed there is no back plate on the passenger side at all. (not sure if that is normal or not :S) But hanging up side down is not the best position to get perspective lol. Anyway, not too worried about it now but will dive deeper when stores are open just in case something breaks while taking it apart.

If it does turn out to be the backing plate, I found these videos while looking for something else the other month.

Replace Rusted Rear Brake Backing Plates Trailblazer Envoy PART 1
[video=youtube;g2UTd673fl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2UTd673fl4&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2UTd673fl4&feature=relmfu[/video]

Replace Rusted Rear Brake Backing Plates Trailblazer Envoy PART 2
[video=youtube;Ri7zrghRTAA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri7zrghRTAA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri7zrghRTAA[/video]

Hope this helps somewhat :thumbsup:

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Mrs Homer said:
Oh awesome!!, Sorry it took me a bit to respond. We have a brand new baby granddaughter and she took priority lol Thank you so much for these!!!

No worries. Family should always come first :thumbsup:

Hope the videos help you somewhat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online