Narrowed it down to three. Two TB and a 97x.

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone,

Well after two months of research, I have narrowed it down to three choices. A 2007 TB LT, a second 2007 TB LT, and a 2009 97x. All of them have a clean Autocheck and have a rating within 8 of each other.

The prices are all pretty close and the mileages are all within 18,000 of each other. The first 07 TB is black with black leather 89,000 miles. Fully loaded, including adjustable pedals and rear DVD. The second 07 TB is silver with black leather with 88,000 miles. Fully loaded, no adjustable pedals or DVD. The third is a 09 97x with 109,000 miles. It is black with black interior. It is fully loaded with steering wheel controls but no DIC.

I have only had the chance to drive the silver TB so far. It is in gorgeous shape, runs and drives like new and is local. Very smooth and quiet. I fell in love with it! I have only seen the black TB in a web ad. Twenty four pictures and it looks darn close to perfect. Of course I would never buy a vehicle sight unseen. The only issue is that is a 3 hours drive away. I drove two and a half hours to check one out last week so the distance isn't a deal breaker. The 97x is also local but I have not driven it but checked it out. It is also in beautiful shape, showroom condition. It is a very sharp looking truck. Looks like it may have factory HID lights, if that was an option.

I know the 97x is cousin to the TB but how close are they? It seemed smaller than the Trailblazer. I don't know if it is due to the sleeker shape or what. There are a few mods I would like to do such as a cold air intake, PCM tune and Bilstein shocks and struts. Possibly a rack out of an SS. Can this all be done to the 97x as well? Is it mechanically the same as the TB too?

Any information, ideas, suggestions or input will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for the time and have a great weekend!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I have a 2005 9-7x. They are mechanically identical to the TB. You'll find the Saab handles quite a bit better, as it has very similar to suspension to that of the TBSS. Pretty much everything is the same, except for some interior parts, and the body panels. My floor mats I bought at a Chevy dealership for a 2005 TrailBlazer and they fit perfectly. The Saab has a Passkey 3 system with an immobilizer key, so if you need a key find a Saab dealer and pay up. I have everything done to my 4.2 Saab that you would do to a comparable TrailBlazer or Envoy. The Saab has a different AWD system with a different transfer case than the Trailblazer. I'm sure I forgot a few things.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the 9-7x has a 4.2L, it may not have HID's. Inside the headlight, it will say HID right on top of the low beam. The V8 versions all came with HID. Are you sure it has no DIC? Just beware that if you need ANY body parts, there is nothing available in the aftermarket and may need to get them original from Sweden. Check the hood front lip for rust as they are notorious for that. The AWD system is part time only and cannot be turned off. The rear suspension air bag system is prone to suffer from deterioration and leakage.

This is not to say that the 9-7x is a bad truck, just to make you aware of the possible pitfalls.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am bias, but I would go with the 9-7x. Best GMT built in my opinion. Just make sure you check the TC fluid before purchase. Have seen a few fail from poor maintenence. Silver TB next. Surprised you couldn't find an envoy.

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Thanks for the input, guys. TollKeeper, I am not a big fan of the appearance of the Envoys. I did seen quite a few though.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Lol. I can't stand the look of the Rainier. So I know what you mean. At least the trailblazer'ss are common in the junk yards for parts. I have only been able to find 2 of the envoy.

Reactions: dkvasnicka

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
@GeoGoGo
This might be biased but if I had to do it over again, I would go with the Trailblazer out of all the options. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the 97x but unless it was a V8 with a G80, I wouldn't be that thrilled. Trailblazers have more of an aftermarket and parts are fairly easy to find, hell I bought a PCM (has to be your specific truck) for $20 on eBay about a month ago. To me, looks aren't everything but that's just my 2cents.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
No :pictures: ?

Buy whichever one has more service records and fewer owners. If you can drive all 3 the same day, I bet you wake up knowing which one you REALLY want.
:twocents:

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
My 07 9-7x uses a regular GM key. Bought it on amazon and self programmed. Key fob too.

I have yet to find a mechanical difference in my 9-7x from stock GM. Parts are easy to find. I had my search narrowed down to a GMT 360, and the reason the Saab won was the features for the price. Because of a fear of parts for Saab, dealers want them gone. I paid less for the loaded truck then a base trailblazer would have cost. I had body work done a few years ago and the shop made no complants about finding parts. It was a hood and front trim.

I agree nth at once you drive them you'll know, all things being equal.

Jrgunn5150

Dec 18, 2014
Ionia Michigan
The biggest difference, that really matter's to me, is there is no low range in the Saab.

I'm also searching for a second 360, and the fact that I want low range limit's me to the Trailblazer and Envoy.

FWIW, I was in the junkyard roaming about this weekend, and every single 4.2 there had been pulled for some reason.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My 07 9-7x uses a regular GM key. Bought it on amazon and self programmed. Key fob too.

If you look on the key, does it say PK3? The fobs are interchangeable.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
If you look on the key, does it say PK3? The fobs are interchangeable.

I just ordered myself this key and a fob today. The plastic ring on my fob is cracking and I've already lost it at the grocery store once. It will look a lot less like I own a Saab and more like I own any other GMT360 now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XZ9NRLC/?tag=gmtnation-20

That's from Amazon US, the interchange on Amazon.ca says for some reason it's not a fit.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's a PK3 so it will work but you may need to get someone with a Tech 2 to program it in after getting it cut. IIRC, you need two currently registered keys to register another one. Yeah, I know. Stupid.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Fyi. The 9-7x does have dic, it's located on the radio bezel. Right next to the on star buttons I believe.

The other reason I like the 9-7x is the radio. 2 disc nav. I'm hunting for a aero myself.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Strange. Mine is in the gauges, just.like all the other GMT"s

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
My key is PK3, only need 1 existing key to program.

I do not have factory nav, it isn't standard FYI. DIC is below the guages, but nothing fancy.

I do not off road, so the lack of sleccting my 4x4 options has never bothered me, and I thought it might.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The DIC is still in the guages. But the buttons to control it are on the radio bezel

Reactions: Mooseman

ddgm

May 7, 2013
My other car is a 2007 Cadillac STS and it needs 2 key fobs to program another one because it is a Canadian edition. US models only need one. I suspect the same is happening with the GMTs. My 2006 9-7x ( US model )has the big key, key & fob in one package. It is a PK3 also.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ok, I think we've gone offtrack enough with this key hijack thing.

So, @GeoGoGo , have you made a decision?

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
I have. I am going with the silver 07. Well, I am going to give it a final once over this weekend and as long as it checks out she is going to be the one!

So excited! Thank you all for the input. I know that I have been bombarding this forum with questions and all the information is greatly appreciated!

PS: Does the forum have any decals or other merchandise for sale?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes! All you have to do is become a supporting member. @BlazingTrails is the contact for that.

That's what this forum is all about.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online