Napa Professional brake opinions

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
In researching brake brands (pads/rotors) I came back looking at either Napa or Acdelco. Out here in Sask all the parts are bloody expensive. The best bang for the buck seems to be the professional line. What are peoples opinions on this line? I am looking at the pads and the coated rotors?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Not going to repeat all the info on that thread, but here in Canada, Rock Auto ships fast and relatively inexpensively. You also pre-pay duties and taxes now. They are good folks.

That being said, if you have a relationship with your local NAPA, it is worth checking their prices out. They will sometimes offer near-jobber prices to local business owners. I went to NAPA up here for most of my brake parts the last time I did them. I have now had their premium coated rotors on the rears for three Canadian prairie winters now, and the fronts for one. They still look brand new.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I put The ACDelco brake stuff in mine about 8 months ago and I'm pleased with performance and wear so far.
NAPA has good stuff too but, sometimes the low prices at RA are unbelievable, especially on the ACDelco parts....Mike.

Reactions: m.mcmillen

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Thanks guys for the feedback. I will check RA and see what deals can be made. Its nice to hear that the Napa coated rotors may actually resist corrosion... My original brakes have 200,000 km on them and the rust is really not that bad on them considering too that I live on the lovely prairies....

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I will finally be picking these items up in a week or two. Rarely do I go to the city anymore. Anyways just looking for advice on what lube to use on the guide pins (Most say Sil Glyde) and what if anything do people put on the backing plates or where the pads contact the anti rattle shims?

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I use Sil Glyde on the rubber parts, Never Seize on the metal parts, and nothing on the back side of the pads unless it explicitly says to do so. I've used Napas' Adaptive pads with great success for years on many vehicles.

Reactions: BrianF

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well I got the rear brakes done last night. Straight forward except for removing the caliper bracket bolts and the rotors themselves. The bracket bolts required a lot of torque at a poor angle to remove. The rotors required an air chisel, WD40 and a hammer. Lots of fun. It went back together fine and the new brakes are smooth and quiet.

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Just an update with a few hundred km on the new brakes. They are very smooth and quiet. They release great and I found no sign of dragging. I only did the rear so far as the fronts still have some life and the fact that the prairies are damn cold right now will make me wait until spring.

I also bled the rears and the pedal feel is night and day over the old fluid.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online