My wife's Sat. morning mishap

BC backroader

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
My sweetie was on her way to her favorite hangout, Dennys, last Saturday, when a lady pulled out of a side street on her right, and crossed the right lane, into the left lane in front of my wife, who didn't even have time to touch the brakes. My lady is fine, just a little shook up and sore. The TB is already in the body shop, with almost $5k damaged, all covered by insurance. Now my loose front bumper and cracked grille bar will be like new again.

Attachments

• TB crash 001.jpg
    TB crash 001.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 76
  • TB crash 002.jpg
    TB crash 002.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 69

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Glad your wife is okay, sucks for your TB, but atleast everything is covered and it'll be lookin' sweet again :thumbsup:

BC backroader

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
The shop is replacing the bumper with another stocker, less the lower air dam, per my instructions. It was the air dam on the original bumper that got hung up, and broke some of the mounts, causing it to flap in the breeze, 'til I screwed the right side to the inner liner.

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
(Glad your wife is OK!)

But, Damn! Why can't I be so lucky.... :hissyfit:

I woulda took the $5k insurance check and fixed it myself with $1k worth of parts...
$4k Cha-ching! :wooot:
Coulda got me a nice set of wheels and muffler with that $4k. :undecided:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Glad it came out ok

BC backroader

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Sadly, the only options allowed by ICBC, the gov. operated Ins. Corp. monopoly, is repair to original condition,or replace the vehicle if cost of damage warrants it. I could pay the private shop that gets the money from the Corp to do some mods, but no way to get them done through the claim process.

808, I'd like to do that, but the only way I'd get a check made out to me is if the truck were a complete write-off.

I like the look of the stock bumper, I don't think the SS looks any better, but I would have liked to get a steel winch mount bumper made for it.

Reactions: 808_LS_EXT

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Have them take the running boards off before they get you hung up in the mud...

BC backroader

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
HARDTRAILZ, I'd love to do that, but my wife has some mobility issues, with a bad back and arthritis, so the boards stay so she can get in and out, since it's her daily driver when I'm at work in the 3500. They should be less prone to hang up and damages when I get the lift done.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Why would you lift her DD if she has those issues? Not to be rude, but it defeats your basic excuse for leaving the running boards. Prolly gain more functional clearance with the boards off and no lift honestly. Save you some money as well.

Reactions: Mounce

BC backroader

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Reasonable question, HARDTRAILZ, and I don't consider it rude. The kind of roads/trails I run in my area don't have a lot of boulders to snag boards, though I did manage to hook up on one a few weeks ago, and pop some of the mounting tabs for the plastic cover on the passenger side. What I do encounter are the "deactivation trenches", basically ditches across inactive logging roads to deter casual traffic, that cause high centering on the frame, especially on longer rigs like my EXT, so mild lift and slightly larger tires would help a lot there, without getting the truck too high for her to enter/exit (hopefully). If it gets too tall for her, I'll have to get her a little runabout of some sort, and go hardcore with the TB, including running board delete. :biggrin:

This past week, driving the Nissan Sentra loaner, she had more trouble dropping into the low seat, over the door sill, and lifting herself out of the low car, than she does stepping UP into the TB, and simply turning in the seat, and dropping her legs down to the ground when exiting, rather than lifting them over the low doorsill of the car and lifting herself erect.

BC backroader

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Well, the body shop let me down. The TB was supposed to be ready for pick up today, but final assembly was not complete. All the paintwork is done, but a lot of parts still need to be installed. They don't work weekends (must be nice, Ive always been self employed, and worked when the jobs were there, weekend or not) so I get the truck back late Monday. :hissyfit:

BC backroader

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Yep, alignment checked, good to go. Got her back at 4 today, looking pretty. Parts fit and paint look good, almost everything works - they forgot to check the fog lights after fitting, drivers side is out, and washer fluid tank leaks, so they'll fix those tomorrow. I haven't been out after dark yet, but looking at the headlight pattern on my parkade wall, I'll get them to do a light alignment, as well.

Here she is after repair:

Hmmm - looks like some of my jpgs are too big, but a couple are OK.

Attachments

• TB crash 006.jpg
    TB crash 006.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 32
  • TB crash 003.jpg
    TB crash 003.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 31
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Im glad she is ok as well. I am also glad to hear they valued this at 6K damage and still repaired it. however with the significantly more damage to my truck I think it will be safe to say a complete write off then is inevitable.
I can only hope they offer me more then 6K im eyeing up a yukon or yukon xl...
I would even enjoy a denali xl envoy... I am looking hard and really need the time to go and look in person at a few..
Wednesday will tell what they are going to do.

again glad she is ok.

What insurance do you carry in BC?

Below is what it did look like BC (Before Crash) :sadcry:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:55420]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:55419]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:55418]

This is what it looked like AC (After Crash)

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:894]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:896]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:895]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:897]

BC backroader

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Insurance in BC is a Provincial run corporation, basically a monopoly, called ICBC. You must buy your basic public liability through them, but can get optional extra coverage from private company insurers. I have my whole package through ICBC. As a senior, with a long time clean record, I get substantial discounts, so it's a wash for me.

My TB actually looks better now than when I bought it several months ago, as I picked it up with some minor front end damage to the bumper and grille, not being too worried about that, as the price was right, and I knew I'd get some trail rash on it pretty quickly anyway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.