My transmission has defecated betwixt the bed clothes...looking for advice

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Evening y'all,

Yesterday I received a phone call from my wife in which she stated that the snailblazer was a tad reluctant to go backwards. Initially my internal reaction was something along the lines of, "Is the truck running?" or "Is it even in reverse?". Thankfully I gave no voice to this dialogue. After I had regained my composure I told her that I'd meet her posthaste and have a look see. As I approached the truck I felt a deep sense of connection with it, we've been through a lot together, almost brothers-in-arms, so strong was this feeling that I knew in a visceral way that I would be able to slip it into reverse and proceed backwards unimpeded. Alas, this was most assuredly not the case. Much to my embarrassment, I had to push it backward through the noon-day bank parking lot traffic while my lovely wife and two sons looked on in amazement, I am pretty swole. I followed her home and the truck has remained homebound ever since.

Naturally the logical place to start troubleshooting any issue related to the GMT360 is here, so to the virtual pages I turned. Reading ensued and it would seem that the sunshell has failed, further road testing will take place to confirm this as time permits (probably tomorrow). Alternative causes of this failure might also be a defective low reverse clutch or even a reverse input clutch failure. I then consulted the one, and seemingly only, transmission shop in my little burgh and relayed all of the aforementioned information, with some glazing over of the interaction between my wife and I for the sake of expediency, and after 15 minutes I had the arduous task of determining if I should hand my TrailBlazer over for 2.5 days and relinquish $3500 for a full rebuild. The tech assured me that the sunshell would be replaced the "beast" and the 3-4 clutch pack would be upgraded, a Corvette servo would be installed, and copious amounts of carbon fibre would be all up in my 4L60E (+5hp due to the carbon fibre). From my reading this price seems high and I'm turning to the collective GMTNation to provide any advice that might save me from parting with an exorbitant amount of money. Also wondering if this type of transmission failure is something that I could limp it to Calgary (286km NW) where there is a healthy amount of competition regarding the servicing of transmissions, and in doing so save myself some bread...I also have to consider if this repair is worth undertaking considering the age and mileage of the vehicle (02 192,000 km) and given the fact that the vehicle will soon be relegated to secondary detail, and that may only last for 2-3 years. I'm of the opinion that if I can price shop a cheaper deal I have more invested in the truck, sentimentally and otherwise, than a dealer will give me in a trade it's probably worth keeping?

Much gratitude in advance,

Scott

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Only you can judge if it is worth it to you. If it was me I would set it to the side and work on it myself in my free time. I know that is not possible for everyone but I would love the learning experience. Another option may be to see if there is a decent transmission shop within a few miles (20-30) depending on how far you want to go. As for the price maybe some of the members who have had trans rebuilds done can give you a better idea on what they paid. I have luckily not been that far yet.

I will also tell a story. A few years ago we were driving to Florida in December. It had snowed about 6 inches in VA and NC and I had the truck in A4WD for a while (200miles). I stopped for fuel in NC and when leaving a parking lot some lady in an Expedition came flying into the parking lot, I slammed brakes and hit it into reverse. We left the and got back on the road everything was running fine. We stopped in SC about 2 hours later at a rest stop, it came time to switch so my Fiance jumped in the driver seat and put the truck in reverse. It made a horrible grinding sound, with some popping etc. I immediately freaked out and told her to shut it off and try again, same thing. When she tried the fwd gears it went in fine. So i pushed the truck out by hand (thankfully it was pretty flat) and we went on our way. We stopped in GA a few hours later for some lunch and I tried reverse, it worked fine. I kept trying it for a few minutes with no errors. This was 3 years ago (and 40k miles) and I have the same stuff that was in when it happened. I feared the worse and have since changed the fluid and have had no issues (knock on wood). I hope for your sake that it is not as bad as feared, cause from experience I was fuming for 2 states and feared the worst.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
3500 is a bit steep. You should be able to get it rebuilt for $2500 realistically. Get detailed quotes for pricing on parts and labor, parts shouldn't be more than $1000, maybe 1250 tops with a TC, where is the other money going?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Seems even Canadian transmission shop owners have three kids in dental school at the same time, just like the ones in the US. :mad:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
when mine would not go into reverse (at just over 100kmiles) I put her in drive, hopped the curb, and drove two hours home, then to the dealer, who I paid to put a crate tranny into. (three year waranty seemed like a good idea, and put together by someone who does it all the time seemed also like a good argument)

you could ask the local shop how much he would charge to install a rebuilt tranny you find, you also might be fine driving into the big city. I would check out prices first, using search tools and the phone.

(and have a plan b if it does quit on the way there)

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
And I would skip the advanced updates and carbon fiber (fibre for you canadians) stuff. the car is going on 14 years old, and you need it to last a few more years.

you could also tell the local guy you want the $1000 job, not the one he wants to do, and see if he really wants the job, or if he just always wanted to build race cars.

he may recalibrate the estimate.

if you have a local auto parts place, see how much they want to order a rebuilt tranny.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
To be honest, I have very little input on this topic, however I just wanted to give some props for the magnificent thread title. Good luck!

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Snailblazin';203016 said:
Does anybody know if Shift Rite Transmissions is a trustworthy source for a reman 4L60E for the Trailblazer?
Shift Rite Transmissions - 4L60E

no BBB complaints and two good google plus reviews.

how much would shipping be for you, and any customs? did you call your local parts shop?

Dec 4, 2011
SBUBandit said:
To be honest, I have very little input on this topic, however I just wanted to give some props for the magnificent thread title. Good luck!

And I would like to add my congrats for the wonderful dissertation on the problem, cause, effects and cures.

I have to agree Canadians seem to be willing to pay more, so they(dealers, shops, etc) just charge more. However you may get an R & R price and import the tranny from south of the border.

Here is another link that I would consider should mine ever go clunk, puke.

Goodfellas Transmissions - 4L60E "The Enforcer"

For 1200.00 US you could probably have in Medicine Hat for 3-400 more(exchange, shipping and whatever), or you are close enough to just ship it close to the border and take a drive to pick it up. Should be duty free since it was Made in the USA (freetrade).

Good luck keep us posted with your progress. By the way my 06 has 145K and I want at least 2-300K more out of her.

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
The Godfather tranny looks like it would have been the best choice, unfortunately shipping cost, shipping time, core charge and shipping, brokerage fees and installation costs made this option less than ideal. Since the truck is the daily driver and it has been out of commission for over a week, time is now of the essence. I found a shop that sourced a GM reman 4L60E but the purveyor scoffed at two of my requests to see the specs on said transmission. Red flag number 1. In the spirit of frugality, I ordered the tranny for $1900, plus $1100 to r&r, and it should have been here Wednesday. Alas, Wednesday came and went with no transmission arriving. Called them back yesterday to find out what was going on and it turns out the supplier of the transmission hadn't even shipped it yet and it was coming from somewhere south and east of the 49th parallel and wouldn't be here until next week. I then cancelled the order and kindly thanked them for their time. I contacted the shop that provided the $3500 option and dropped it off yesterday afternoon. I feel slightly sodomized but, with no other viable options and my wife verbally abusing me, the trigger needed pulling. Thanks for all the advice, it certainly made for good reading and provoked a lot of learning. I could also point to the replies while conversing with my wife and say, "See?! SEE??!! I'm not crazy, the Roadie thinks that's a lot of money too."

Post Script:
For anyone interested, while I was driving the Snail Bee to the shop I determined that the truck had no second gear either (it would hold first to ~3200 rpm, then shift most unceremoniously after letting off the gas pedal right into 3), that coupled with a loss of reverse are indicative a of low reverse clutch failure. Annnnd the check engine light came on. The only way this whole scenario could have been more appropriate would be if the CEL was a giant illuminated hand giving me the middle finger.

Steeda

Jan 16, 2014
Snailblazin';205799 said:
The only way this whole scenario could have been more appropriate would be if the CEL was a giant illuminated hand giving me the middle finger.

You Sir... win the internet today.

And i'm sorry about your predicament.

I was into a rebuild with a 18 month 18,000 mile warranty for 1800.00 700 to Remove and Replace.

That was the buddy discount- making nothing much on the transmission- and about half of book on labor.

So, at best you are about 500-600.00 High.... Not bad to avoid the wife inserting a heel in your a$$.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
I just got quoted anywhere from $2500 to $3100 USD plus tax, depending on whether there are internal parts that are worn out or broke... 190,000 miles of service, I think I got a decent tranny...

3 year / 100,000 mile nationwide warranty...

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
KNBlazer said:
I just got quoted anywhere from $2500 to $3100 USD plus tax, depending on whether there are internal parts that are worn out or broke... 190,000 miles of service, I think I got a decent tranny...

3 year / 100,000 mile nationwide warranty...

For future reference to other members, I called a few other places within a radius of 20 miles, and received ranges from $1800-2700, depending on damage found.... one of those places also offered a 3 yr /100,000 mile nationwide warranty....

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
$2645.00 is my total..
-sunshell beast will be installed
-new pump assembly
-all solenoids
-wiring harness
-manifold
-torque converter
-master rebuild kit
-3/4 clutch pack upgrade

can't remember what else
3 yr/100,000 mile warranty

while it's down, rear main seal will be replaced as well with a GM seal...most likely cause of failure, I was told was the pump...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls