My new to me 2006 9-7x 5.3 rebuild

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Stock diameter is 29.5", the Defenders have a diameter of 30.8", so your bringing the tire 3/4" (approximately) closer to the steering knuckle. Starting to get onto dangerous ground, IMHO.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
According to this ANCIENT post on TV, it fits:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So about a month ago I poured in half a bottle of the engine stop leak into the dif that @Mooseman recommended.. hasn't leaked a drop since...

I guess the Saab felt ignored, and let me know today, with a check engine light.

P0327, or bank 1, drivers side knock sensor. Yay!

I know the passenger side is a nightmare, along with the starter.. but I can't even see the one on the driver's side.

Help?

Tankcruiser

Oct 29, 2018
Toledo
So about a month ago I poured in half a bottle of the engine stop leak into the dif that @Mooseman recommended.. hasn't leaked a drop since...

I guess the Saab felt ignored, and let me know today, with a check engine light.

P0327, or bank 1, drivers side knock sensor. Yay!

I know the passenger side is a nightmare, along with the starter.. but I can't even see the one on the driver's side.

Help?
good luck

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I'M BACK!!!!

LOL

New day, New problem.

On my way to work this morning, it's snowing and raining here, go to turn on my wipers, nothing. Hit the washer button, headlight washers turn on, but not the windshield washers. Flip the wipers to high, they work. But will not park. Washers also work on high, but still won't park.

I'm thinking this is a bad motor/ motor board, but not sure...

Help! (Again!)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be a bad switch or wiring. Check the schematics and follow the power and grounds.

The fact that the headlight washer works (at every fourth press) tells me that the BCM is receiving the signal for the washer. The windshield washer pump or relay may just be dead. And maybe coincidentally the wiper motor is also dead but double check the switch and power.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I tested it a bit further, the washer works, just have to hold it a bit longer.

Its just the intermittent wipers, and low speed wipers. High speed work fine.

It did this last week when I was coming out of a car-wash. But then about a block later, they started working normally. Thought it was just a hickup of the system. Guess I was wrong....

Im thinking its the wiper board because of the low high speed working, but low speed not working, and not parking in high speed or any other location.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
There are 2 9-7x in local yards, both 4.2, a 2005, and a 2007.

What should I grab to fix this wiper problem? Or grab both the wiper motor, and wiper switch.

I am thinking the wiper motor is the same across all the GMT360s?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Very informative video I found about these wipers...

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Per my parts search, its the same motor, and logic board, for a simalarly equipped Envoy, as the Saab.

I am fairly certain its the logic board.

But at a price of 200-300 bucks! I am thinking I am going to try a used/salvaged one!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd go used as well. One note though I noticed, the 2002's have their own motor along with the 2003-2004 Ascenders. All other years are the same.

Haven't heard of these failing so it's not a common occurrence.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Found another yard that had a low mileage 2006 9-7x 5.3i. Engine was completely cut out. Body was near mint, except for the front passenger fender, and hood... you know, the ones I need.

Anyways grabbed the wiper motor assembly, headlight switch, wiper switch, washer spray nozzles, and minty steering wheel controls. Just got done installing new to me wiper assembly, and works perfectly.

40 bucks in parts, certainly a lot cheaper than the 200-250 for a new one.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So it was the motor control board. I guess as these trucks age, they will fail more often.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The Saab got hit pretty good last night with Hail.. Im sure the insurance is going to total it out, but who knows. Either way, there is no point in repairing it. So I will buy it back, and keep on trucking. Glass is still in tact, so theres that. Just the body work is not purty!

Shame really, she was a nice and clean truck, with only a small ding on the fender, and a rattle in the back window. Now...... Yea..

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Hail can really do a number on a vehicle.
It does...

My Aztek got totalled for hail last year
My Envoy got hit, but not totalled, for hail last year (still need to decide to repair, or pocket the check)
Now my Saab got hit
And I need to check the Saturn for hail damage too.

• Wow
Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, they totalled the Saab. Valued it 5300, but for some reason I am only getting 3300.

Im into it for 4000.. And I am keeping it, with a clean title, so I am good.

I think they are going to total the Envoy too. On hold with the insurance company now.

• Sad
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So they reevaluated the claim from 2 years ago on the Envoy, and claimed a total loss.

So all my cars are now total losses from hail, except the Saturn. Once it's out of the body shop, putting full coverage on it. Cause I know there will be more hail!

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think the Saab is done....

On my way to work, and I couldnt see the cars behind me.

Got home to take a video, and this is what she is doing.

Its worth about 1900 to me thru insurance, assuming I can get them to go ahead with it.

Crazy thing is, other than I cant see the cars behind me, and its a safety hazard... She runs beautifully!

No milk shake, no oil in coolant.. Just smokes bad! and the smell is absolutely horid!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Matt

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Insurance confirmed they can still do the total loss buy..

Am I making the right decision?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well it's burning coolant I guess so it could be a number of things as you know. If it's just a head gasket, that's easy enough. If it's a cracked anything, it'll get expensive.

So by total loss buy, you keep it at a reduced payout?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Or let them take it at full payout..

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Head gasket cylinder 4 and 6, and it only leaks when it gets up to operating temp, which likely means it is also a crack. That head is also harder than the drivers side.

My back is not up to the challenge.

Momma convinced me to let it go, which I had already planned on anyways.

Hate to see it go. She was a fun ride.. And it let me keep 12k miles off my XUV. It just needs to much work. Even when you get past the head/head gasket, I still need to reseal the front diff, tires, and a few odds and ends.

I would still need to put another 2500 or more.. And I have a new truck on order. So the math just doesnt work.

The Saab allowed me to put my XUV into spare/weekend duty. Now the Envoy goes back into full time duty. We already have another spare with the Saturn we bought. So I am cool with it all.

Paperwork is already signed, title is sent out. Just waiting on CoPart to come pick it up.

It will live on somewhere else, of that I am sure. The interior is near mint condition. Exterior and engine is all the work it needs.

I did swap some of the Saab parts over to the Envoy. Swapped the painted door mirrors, the rear view mirror, nav radio, and floor mats.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I feel your pain. I went through the same thing when my Saab blew up. Rod knock was just too much. Sure I could have picked up another engine, maybe even a truck 6.0L, but she just wasn't worth it.

Like you said, maybe someone will fix her up and it will live on.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
And she is gone..

Doubt anyone will buy it now. They picked it up by sling, destroying front bumper, headlights, and who knows what else...

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Last edited:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Lets all bow our heads in a moment of silence...

56883173_Image_1.jpg56883173_Image_2.jpg56883173_Image_3.jpg56883173_Image_4.jpg56883173_Image_5.jpg56883173_Image_6.jpg56883173_Image_7.jpg56883173_Image_8.jpg56883173_Image_9.jpg56883173_Image_10.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It finally made its way to a dealers lot.. They are asking 5000 on it..

• Wow

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wonder if they actually fixed it?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wonder if they actually fixed it?
I emailed the dealer, and let them know the computer on it was tuned.. No response yet.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Like they even know what that means :laugh:

• Haha

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The dealer actually emailed me back, and was wanting any info I could offer.

It dont hurt me any, so I told him..

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wonder if they started it up "IT RUNS FINE DURR" and didn't let it warm up enough to start the smoke screening.

Or, they're a scummy one that will pull a fast one over somebody.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wonder if they started it up "IT RUNS FINE DURR" and didn't let it warm up enough to start the smoke screening.

Or, they're a scummy one that will pull a fast one over somebody.
He said they fixed the issue that was causing it to smoke.. But didnt divulge what that was.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
poured stop leak in it

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online