My new Hooker Areochamber Dual Exhaust!!

ksimm92

Original poster
Member
Apr 28, 2012
166
Hello all, Getting a dual exhaust was on my mod list for awhile, I just couldn't decide which muffler I wanted. Well a month or so ago I was reading a thread and hardtrailz and fireman4215 mentioned they have the hooker areochamber and love it... well after reading about it I decided to go for it. I ordered the muffler (single 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlet) and the chrome tips I like, then had a local shop bend and weld the pipes and put the hangers on. :wootwoot:

Prior to this I had a flowmaster super 44 with the delta flow... it was LOUD. This areochamber defiantly is louder than stock, but coming from my flowmaster it is noticeably quieter and less drone on the highway. I am thinking the drone will go down if/when I put on a magnaflow high flow cat. Overall I am VERY happy with this setup!! :yes:

I am waiting for the exhaust back pressure gauge I ordered along with a new upstream O2 sensor, but I am suspecting my cat to be partially clogged. When I hook my actron scan tool up and drive around reading the O2 data the upstream fluctuates ALOT (bounces from 0.8xxV - 0.050V, does this when I accelerate, coast, and idle), along with sluggish acceleration until around 3k rpm, and horrible gas millage. Any input on this??? :confused:
 

Attachments

  • 2012-07-04_10-22-53_120.jpg
    2012-07-04_10-22-53_120.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 2012-07-04_10-23-03_972.jpg
    2012-07-04_10-23-03_972.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 2012-07-04_10-23-19_833.jpg
    2012-07-04_10-23-19_833.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 38

ItsOnVoy

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,401
Very nice man looks good :yes:
 

Wooluf1952

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,663
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ksimm92 said:
When I hook my actron scan tool up and drive around reading the O2 data the upstream fluctuates ALOT (bounces from 0.8xxV - 0.050V, does this when I accelerate, coast, and idle), :confused:

AFAIK, that is the correct way an O2 sensor should work.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Sweet
 

Mypetropig

Member
Dec 29, 2011
226
OK, you have pics so it obviously happened. Any chance of a sound clip?
 

ksimm92

Original poster
Member
Apr 28, 2012
166
Mypetropig said:
OK, you have pics so it obviously happened. Any chance of a sound clip?

I could do a sound clip, whats the best way?
 

ksimm92

Original poster
Member
Apr 28, 2012
166
Wooluf1952 said:
AFAIK, that is the correct way an O2 sensor should work.

I know that it is suppose to bounce around a little, it just seamed like it was too much of a difference with no pattern. I ordered the O2 sensor because I bought the truck with 70k and I don't think the previous owner changed it, figured with 113k it was about time anyways.
 

Cable810

Member
Dec 5, 2011
690
Looks good man!! Like the way the Tips don't come strait out the back, looks nicer with them pointing down a bit! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
 

strat81

Member
Dec 29, 2011
399
ksimm92 said:
I know that it is suppose to bounce around a little, it just seamed like it was too much of a difference with no pattern. I ordered the O2 sensor because I bought the truck with 70k and I don't think the previous owner changed it, figured with 113k it was about time anyways.

Generally, it's when the O2 sensor gets "lazy" and you stop seeing quick changes that it's on its way out. That means it's not telling the PCM to adjust the mixture quickly enough, which can cause loss of power, fouled cats, etc.
 

Hatchet

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,405
I need to start reading the complete thread title :sadcry:


Looks good, would love to hear it to.
 

davenay67

Member
Jan 16, 2012
217
Small world....I'm Naperville too..!!


Where abouts are you located. I'm south; Rt. 59 & 111th.


Dave.
 

ksimm92

Original poster
Member
Apr 28, 2012
166
Cable810 said:
Looks good man!! Like the way the Tips don't come strait out the back, looks nicer with them pointing down a bit! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks! I didnt want them straight out the back, or out the side, I just told him i wanted a 45 degree angled down and it turned out great!

davenay67 said:
Small world....I'm Naperville too..!!


Where abouts are you located. I'm south; Rt. 59 & 111th.


Dave.

I am right by Ogden and Washington.

strat81 said:
Generally, it's when the O2 sensor gets "lazy" and you stop seeing quick changes that it's on its way out. That means it's not telling the PCM to adjust the mixture quickly enough, which can cause loss of power, fouled cats, etc.

Oh, makes sense, thats good to know. at least I wont need to worry about it for awhile :raspberry:
 

ksimm92

Original poster
Member
Apr 28, 2012
166
This was taken with my droid since my camera is MIA right now :frown: so hopefully this will at least give you an idea, it's the best I can do right now.

BTW I don't know if this is just my droid or if there is something I am doing wrong, but what a PITA to try and upload this video!!:eek: Tried transferring to my computer to upload on youtube... computer doesn't recognize the format:confused: , tried downloading a converter program to change the video format... the converter program wont recognize the video either!! :mad: The ONLY way I could get this link to work was if I uploaded the video to my facebook ON MY DROID! :hissyfit:


[video]http://www.facebook.com/v/4296231892268[/video]
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,552
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sounds pretty nice. Hooker Aerochamber huh? :undecided: Will have to make a note of that for the future :yes:
 

Cable810

Member
Dec 5, 2011
690
ksimm92 said:
Tried transferring to my computer to upload on youtube... computer doesn't recognize the format:confused: , tried downloading a converter program to change the video format... the converter program wont recognize the video either!! :mad: The ONLY way I could get this link to work was if I uploaded the video to my facebook ON MY DROID! :hissyfit:


[video]http://www.facebook.com/v/4296231892268[/video]

did you try DVDsoft Video convertor? Sounds good btw!
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
I want to change my aerochamber n run duals. Dounds better than my single
 

ksimm92

Original poster
Member
Apr 28, 2012
166
Cable810 said:
did you try DVDsoft Video convertor? Sounds good btw!

I have not, I will have to give that one a try next time. :undecided:

HARDTRAILZ said:
I want to change my aerochamber n run duals. Dounds better than my single

is it just a different tone? Ive just always wanted a dual exhaust. :biggrin:
 

Wooluf1952

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,663
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Looks and sounds good. Any change in highway drone?
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Seems a little deeper than mine.
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,552
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Looks like there are some different chamber lengths available. You guys know what the measurements on yours are?
 

ksimm92

Original poster
Member
Apr 28, 2012
166
Wooluf1952 said:
Looks and sounds good. Any change in highway drone?

there is little to none on the highway, a HUGE improvement over my flowmaster super 44. I am extremely happy with the muffler, it's exactly what I was hoping it would be. :thumbsup:

Blckshdw said:
Looks like there are some different chamber lengths available. You guys know what the measurements on yours are?

I am not sure of the exact measurements on mine, but I ordered it from summit and below is the link of the one I have.

Hooker Headers 21518HKR - Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com , and the tips if anyone is wondering: Summit Racing SUM-690042 - Summit Racing® Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I hope that helps blckshdw :smile:
 

Mypetropig

Member
Dec 29, 2011
226
Sounds really good. Do you have any drone between 35 and 45mph or at any other speed in town?
 

fireman4215

Member
Dec 18, 2011
813
Nice just saw this thread. Glad I could be inspiration ha. I've had my exhaust system for about a year and a half now and the sound is just as good as it was brand new. :thumbsup:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
22,953
Posts
634,070
Members
17,938
Latest member
TrailblazerLTExtended

Members Online