Shitty way to start the day.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415367699694.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415367699694.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 59

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah shit man! That sucks the big one. Nobody hurt I hope. Hope it's fixable or at least replaced.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ouch! what happened?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Damn, sorry to see that. No injuries hopefully.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That sucks!

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Im ok Im finally home.
Im a bit sore, the driver of the other vehicle claims neck and back issues was transported via ambulane to local hospital.
I could beleive she has isssues but i see an insurance claim coming from it.
I have 100% Full coverage (Thank god) i upgraded my insurance to full max coverage with all the bells and whistles in march its an blessing I did that...

As for the truck dunno if they will total it. it happened so fast and on a state highway they had a tow truck service on the spot immediatly and wanted to get it off the highway.

im a little sore from standing on the brake pedal almost put it through the floor.
Im really pissed however about the AIRBAGS failing to deploy!
neither bag deployed, my front and side curtain did not go off and neither did onstar know i was involved in a major accident.
i thought they had sensors to notify them of an accident. WTF??

I dont see any recalls on my truck and all was in perfect operating order..
anyone else know of issues with airbags/onstar notification.

But thanks for the thoughts.

-Bill

\PS I'll keep you all posted.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
I would agree, not enough for air bags. But I would be calling onstar and complaining if you pay for the service, they should of been contacting the vehicle for that.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sorry to see and hear.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Glad you're alright, but yeah, everyone complains about airbags going off in wrecks like that, they're set up well. Idk about 360's but in 90's cars there's sensors around the radiator that I believe have to be hit to trigger the bags.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
From what I understand, OnStar is only activated for airbag deployments.

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn that sucks. :sadcry: :sadcry: Glad your alright :thumbsup:

Isn't the airbag trigger device located behind the bumper? Could the impact not have hit the trigger device? Looks like a lot of damage above the bumper in the grill area.

Reactions: Bill05EnvoySLT

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
I was told that if there was any impact onstar would be calling me to ask if i was ok. that sure was enough of an impact at highway speed to set it off.. i hit at 60 mph.. i was standing on the brakes...

but i will be following up with them about this.
also i think frame may be bent, i went under her car and the doors are tweaked. front doors .. didnt pop windsheild but i only got to take a quick pic as the state troopers were in a hurry to wrap it up.

Keep you all in formed.

PS. if there is any interest in it if they do total it let me know.. it was 100% before accident so all was in great working order. ill buy it back if someone wants it cheap for parts depending what they give for value..

KBB states 7700 but who really knows the real value of it?

Thanks

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Even if the airbags popped the side curtain should not have regardless as it wasn't a side impact or rollover.

Were you sufficiently restrained by the seatbelt from hitting the steering wheel? If so, the airbag system did its job by not deploying unnecessarily. The old airbag systems would go off at the slightest hit, causing lots of extra damage to the vehicle. But they also conditioned us to expect them to go off for every impact too. The newer systems are smarter and won't go off near as easily when they are not needed.

Not sure on the OnStar thing though. Maybe they are supposed to call only when airbags go off, which means someone told you wrong. Either way, something isn't right there, either wrong information given or a failure of the system.

When you say the doors are tweaked, like do they not line up with just the fenders, or where they meet the body/rear doors also? Fenders could just simply be pushed backwards from the hit while the frame is fine. It wouldn't take that much for that to happen. Happened to my old car before I got it actually, I had to straighten it all out.

Trkdrvremt

Oct 22, 2014
NJ
Onstar is only notified upon airbag deployment... And as stated above no curtain airbags unless side impact or rollover... Glad to hear you are ok...

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I am glad you are ok.

In the pic it looks like the impact bar waas not hit but rather above it. As already ststaed the air bags not deploying could be a blessing.

It will buff right out...

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Mooseman said:
From what I understand, OnStar is only activated for airbag deployments.
Trkdrvremt said:
Onstar is only notified upon airbag deployment... And as stated above no curtain airbags unless side impact or rollover... Glad to hear you are ok...
They even say that in the commercials on TV guys, OnStar is only notified if the air bags deploy. The logic is that you may be injured badly or in a position where you can't reach the button yourself if the accident was bad enough to set the bags off.

We are glad you are safe sir :yes:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
That sucks, glad noone was severely hurt...that's the most important.

As far as airbags, I will mirror what others have said...not enough frontal impact for airbags. I would also think if the airbags didn't deploy, your frame should be ok....these frames are tough.

Looks like core support damage and some sheet metal.....will be close as far as being a loss....fingers crossed.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
djthumper said:
I am glad you are ok.

In the pic it looks like the impact bar waas not hit but rather above it. As already ststaed the air bags not deploying could be a blessing.

It will buff right out...
First one to say that LMAO "It'll Buff right out" well the shop it was towed to who is a collision center states that since it is an 05 the insurance company will more then likely total it, too much front end damage. however he told me to get the most of it since its an SLT fully loaded. with all the options i should get a good offer. also since its condition prior to the accident and all of my posts here can be used as documentation of work done and progress and current condition of it.. thank god i kept it here as a journel.
anyway if it is totalled, ill be looking into a youkon denali or similar GMC truck, maybe an arcadia or similar.

Thanks for all the well wish's im feeling sore but im just glad to be in one piece. let the insurance company settle this mess.

Reactions: Mounce

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Bill05EnvoySLT said:
First one to say that LMAO "It'll Buff right out" well the shop it was towed to who is a collision center states that since it is an 05 the insurance company will more then likely total it, too much front end damage. however he told me to get the most of it since its an SLT fully loaded. with all the options i should get a good offer. also since its condition prior to the accident and all of my posts here can be used as documentation of work done and progress and current condition of it.. thank god i kept it here as a journel.
anyway if it is totalled, ill be looking into a youkon denali or similar GMC truck, maybe an arcadia or similar.

Thanks for all the well wish's im feeling sore but im just glad to be in one piece. let the insurance company settle this mess.
Sincerely sorry to hear about this...

Glad you are ok!

Bristol, eh? ... Your Envoy now looks like most of the Sprint Cars at the end of a race...
Kinda like Labonte's did in Victory Lane...

maxresdefault.jpg

Pssst, BTW, wanna trade that rear bumper before the insurance tows it away? :biggrin:

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
if its a total, Ill see how much they want for it and decide if its worth parting out. other then front end damage, suspension and engine werestill intact. 4x4 and all other is fully functional, i even drove it off the highway after the police directed us to move off the highway.

you know, it'll buff right out! lol...
I'd be open to providing any parts or maybe ill sell it for scrap. if your good with sheet metal this is a good project as it was 99% before accident.

As soon as i know what the insurance company will do ill post here. until then I'll be looking for a replacement.
any suggestions near Bristol PA?

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
Sorry to hear about your loss.

If you do decide to buy it back, offer the insurance company half of what they want for the buy-back amount. They will almost always settle for less than what they wanted and a little more than what you offered. A good way to save a few hundred bucks.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Bill05EnvoySLT said:
I was told that if there was any impact onstar would be calling me to ask if i was ok.
Indeed glad you're OK and the one you hit.

If a salesman told you that line about "any impact".....well, you know how to tell when a sales scum is lying. When his lips are moving.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
The_Roadie said:
Indeed glad you're OK and the one you hit.

If a salesman told you that line about "any impact".....well, you know how to tell when a sales scum is lying. When his lips are moving.
Yea just got off the phone with on star, got them looking into system diagnostics, the crash sensors they claim are separate then air bag sensors so they dint why it failed either. But now the abs system shows failure. Go figure, 6 foot 260# both feet planted in the pedal probably broke the masters cylinder, I think it was bottomed out in the floor boards. Damage shows front end pushed about 12/13 inches into the engine bay, the radiator had the fan shaft through it. Radiator touching the water pump and crank. Pretty nasty hit. But I walked away. Thank god the seat belt is annoying alarm make me use it. This time I think saved me from serious injury. 65mph impact. Maybe 35 when we hit. The G's should have been enough to set the bags off. That's why I'm pissed. On dry surface I still skidded about the length of 2 cars before impact.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Im sorry that happened to ya. An accident is what sent me looking for another vehicle and i ended up with the envoy.

I find it very strange that the air bag did not deploy. There is enough damage to the front of the vehicle in my opinion that it should have deployed. I have previously thought that the ignition in my 2008 may shut off by its self in an accident. It does not take much pressure for the electronic switch to rotate backwards and the engine shuts off as soon as the ignition starts to turn backwards.

Im leaning towards the body shops opinion despite the air bags not deploying that the cost of repair will be greater than the vehicle was worth. When your insurance company tells you what they think the fair market value of the truck is. You do not have to accept it and should make a counter offer. I had a 2007 nissan maxima that was purchased in 2007 with 4k miles on it. Immaculate condition before the accident. 84k miles 0 dents, dings or scratches. Just a hand full of properly touched up stone chips on the hood that only i could point out. I laughed when allstate offered me 8.5k and i countered with 14.5k and got 12.2k when all was said and done. In my area i think fair market for a 2005 envoy slt would be between 4k-6k.

Best of luck to you and i am very glad you were able to walk away.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Seat belt use isn't optional, you know. I would trade a broken clavicle to avoid ANY amount of facial damage from even a 10 MPH impact. Or if you braced with your arms on the steering wheel without the seat belt - two broken arms. But the air bag computer has many sensors, including one for deceleration. It it knew you had gotten down from 60 to 50, 40, 30, and were trending to go even slower, and you hadn't hit yet, it could have held off firing the air bag in your face and it did you a favor. You have no damage and it is programmed to worry that maybe you have glasses on, or you're really, really short and sitting too close to the wheel like Dr. Ruth and knock your dentures down your throat and then you choke and your family sues GM for unnecessary airbag deployment.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The airbag system uses a combination of external impact sensors, and an accelerometer contained within the SIR unit. I believe the total change in Gs has to exceed a certain value before deployment, and if you're already hanging off the brakes, you've already got a lot of deceleration force being picked up, so a hit may not have made the deceleration that much greater.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Bill05EnvoySLT said:
if its a total, Ill see how much they want for it and decide if its worth parting out. other then front end damage, suspension and engine werestill intact. 4x4 and all other is fully functional, i even drove it off the highway after the police directed us to move off the highway.

you know, it'll buff right out! lol...
I'd be open to providing any parts or maybe ill sell it for scrap. if your good with sheet metal this is a good project as it was 99% before accident.

As soon as i know what the insurance company will do ill post here. until then I'll be looking for a replacement.
any suggestions near Bristol PA?
Hey! look at the creampuff that I found in PA.......purely a coincidence that it looks like mine :wink: ....Mike.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-Envoy-Denali-Sport-Utility-4-Door-Candy-Apple-Red-Charcoal-Leather-Interior-350-CID-V8-/291285618127?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43d1f9cdcf&item=291285618127&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok so I got a call today, statefarm is finally going to send an adjuster out to look at the truck wednesday, apparently in this area its deer season and they are very busy processing claims.
So hopefully I'll know my fate!

I also found out that if i get totaled, they will make an offer and then i have 7 days to return the rental even if i dispute the amount they offer!! WTF? now this puts me in a tough jam.. if the offer is crap, i have to hagle for a better deal which can take time and since i can afford the rental straight up I'll be forced to return it..
Does anyone know if I can persuade the insurance company to extend this loaner until the claim is settled?

Thanks in advanced.
Bill

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How did you find that out? Just because an adjuster says something doesn't make it true. Call your AGENT. Read the CONTRACT. If you think you can get a $1000 better deal, what's the problem with a $200 additional week on a rental? Good return on investment.

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
Bill, I don't know why I didn't see your post earlier. As others said above, I'm very relieved that you are only sore, not badly hurt. My wife just went through the same thing a month ago in our 05 TB EXT, and like you, is sore, but not hurt otherwise. My insurance is covering physiotherapy for her, and will probably pay out something for pain and suffering, as well. Also like your crash, my airbags did not deploy, either, nor did the onstar trigger, though we're not paying for a hook up, so that's no surprise, in our case. The damage was slightly less, not getting into the rad at all, but the repairs still hit nearly $6K. For pics and other details, see my thread at http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/12068-my-wifes-sat-morning-mishap/

Good luck with your claim, buddy.

Bill05EnvoySLT

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
Ok So I have a few pics that were added to my gallery
Give you an idea of how clean my ride was before and after.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:891]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:890]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:889]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:888]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:887]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:886]

Then THE ACCIDENT - :sadcry:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:893]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:894]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:896]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:895]

Everything from what I have been able to see and tell is still in perfect working order. From engine back is still perfectly intact. Everything from the engine forward (waterpump) is destroyed. impaled the radiator onto the fan shaft from waterpump.

Anyone know someone who is willing to do the repairs? Im seriously considering keeping it and replacing the nose. the rest of the truck was flawless. Finally got the buzzing in the stereo fixed the other day too. have the 3mm aux mod done as well. short time owning but lots of wrench time on it.

thinking I'll buy it back.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online