My key won't open door...only with key fob...also question re: key fob

tyzdenali

Original poster
May 7, 2015
I have a question regarding why my key won't work in the door? It turns back and forth but doesn't open the door. No clicking or sound of any kind...just nothing...the key operates the ignition, but not the only door lock.

Any one know the reason why GMC decided to only put one door lock on the entire vehicle? If my battery goes dead for whatever reason, I can't get in to even open the hood...unless I slim jim it...If I look for a second key and fob replacement, will I be able to program them or do I need to go to the dealership.

While I'm at it...All GMC Envoy XL Denali keys have a transponder in them correct? Just want to make sure to get the correct key replacement as well as the replacement key fob...

One more question that has arisen...The fob I have looks like one of those replacement ones you can get on ebay...only lock, unlock and emergency red button. Is the original one supposed to have 4 buttons on the fob...unlock, lock, emergency and one to open the rear hatch? I don't know how to tell if the rear hatch has the capability to be opened remotely.

Sorry for so many questions in one post, but just bought the vehicle about a month ago and still learning about it. Thanks for your help.

It is a 2006 Envoy XL Denali 4x4 5.3L V8.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Likely a rod or two that actuates the lock inside the door has came loose / broke it's clips. Need to pull the door panel to confirm.

One door lock key slot because that's all that's needed...until it breaks.

No transponder that I know of in the keys/fobs, could be wrong but I'm pretty sure of it.

3 button fob is correct, lift gate cannot be remotely opened unless that's an option that I haven't heard about.

Welcome to the Nation! :tiphat:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You can program the new fob yourself. Have you tried your key in the tailgate?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Never mind... I was probably thinking of the Silverados.. We have locking tailgates, at least some of us do.

Reactions: Mounce

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
yep busted clip on the actuator rod, mine's been like that since the day I got it...clips are easy to find at junkyards as long as no one is looking, think its the green one?

tyzdenali

Original poster
May 7, 2015
You can program the new fob yourself. Have you tried your key in the tailgate?
Hey djthumper...I would, but there is no lock anywhere on the vehicle except the driver's door. I think that is a real design flaw. I really miss my Ford with the ability to use a combination to unlock the door without a key...I wish GM had that option. Anyway, thanks for the response.

yep busted clip on the actuator rod, mine's been like that since the day I got it...clips are easy to find at junkyards as long as no one is looking, think its the green one?
Thanks redleg6...I'll try to dig into it soon and see what's up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do you mean that you try to use the key in the door and it doesn't turn at all? As if it's the wrong key? I had that, my key cylinder was corroded solid. I had to replace it but because I have a bastard child Saab, GM dealer couldn't help me so I just picked up a used one with key from an Envoy. I can't get it re-keyed because it's a different type of key (Saab's use PK3, the rest of the 360's don't)

tyzdenali

Original poster
May 7, 2015
Mooseman said:
Do you mean that you try to use the key in the door and it doesn't turn at all? As if it's the wrong key? I had that, my key cylinder was corroded solid. I had to replace it but because I have a bastard child Saab, GM dealer couldn't help me so I just picked up a used one with key from an Envoy. I can't get it re-keyed because it's a different type of key (Saab's use PK3, the rest of the 360's don't)
Hey Mooseman...it turns both ways, it just doesn't do anything...like lock or unlock the door...

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Ours was just disconnected. Easy fix to remove the door panel. Get some non marring pry tools from harbor freight.

Careful to note you lift the panel when removing. You must lift the top lip near the window so the panel seats properly.

tyzdenali

Original poster
May 7, 2015
Robbabob said:
Ours was just disconnected. Easy fix to remove the door panel. Get some non marring pry tools from harbor freight.

Careful to note you lift the panel when removing. You must lift the top lip near the window so the panel seats properly.
Thanks...going to give it a try soon. :smile: I'll post the results.

Reactions: Robbabob

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Finally got around to looking into why the key lock on the door did not do anything when turned. I had suspected that the door panel had been off before because the lip at the top of the door panel was not put over the lip on the door. Put it back on correctly when i reassembled.

When i got the door panel off and moisture/noise dampener removed i looked inside and the rod from the key lock to the door latch was missing. Found it in the bottom of the inside of the door. I think it was left disconnected intentionally. It was a pain in the ass to get positioned correctly around the outside door handle rod. The blue clip on the key lock would have held it in place if it had come loose on the bottom. The yellow plastic piece in the picture is part of the power door lock actuator(i think) and does two things. It holds the rod in and disables the factory alarm when the key is used to unlock the door. One small tab was broken on it so it would not secure the rod to the latch. Took a zip tie and cinched it around the rod to hold it in place. For now it works perfectly. If it does not hold then i will replace the actuator in the future.

20150829_161145_zpsposorpiw.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

bullguy

Aug 14, 2012
You need to replace this plastic clip,i too had the same problem

Attachments

• WP_20151102_21_57_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151102_21_57_05_Pro.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 12

Dshow

Dec 7, 2011
I have this same problem... Key doesn't work, only opens with the fob. I've tried 3 different keys. I pulled off the door panel hoping to find a loose rod, but no such luck... My key won't turn back and forth. I removed the lock assy pretty easily hoping to find some corrosion, again no such luck, very clean and all tumblers functions.

Here are some pics:

With the key in, the first and last tumblers don't go flush...? To me, it seem like the key(s) are not going in all the way but I don't see anything down there. Any suggestions before I get the dremmel tool out and make them flush?

Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I have this same problem... Key doesn't work, only opens with the fob. I've tried 3 different keys. I pulled off the door panel hoping to find a loose rod, but no such luck... My key won't turn back and forth. I removed the lock assy pretty easily hoping to find some corrosion, again no such luck, very clean and all tumblers functions.

Here are some pics:

With the key in, the first and last tumblers don't go flush...? To me, it seem like the key(s) are not going in all the way but I don't see anything down there. Any suggestions before I get the dremmel tool out and make them flush?

Since you have it out, take it to a locksmith and have him re-set the pins/tumblers to match.

Reactions: Redbeard
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Thank you... That probably makes more sense than me going at it with a dremel...
I have many years experience ruining perfectly good parts with a dremel. Last year, I moved up a class to the 4-1/2" angle grinder. It creates more havoc, faster, than I could ever do with a dremel.

Dshow

Dec 7, 2011
Got tired of waiting for the locksmith to return my call. I watched a video on the internet on how to rekey the lock, so I figured I was now an expert. :2thumbsup: Anyway, I took all the tumblers out. (They just pull out.) Each is marked with a number. I wrote down the number that came out of each slot. Putting them back in is trial and error. Put the tumbler in, put the key in, see if it's flush, if not repeat with a different number tumbler. Anyway, got 6 of the 7 back in flush. In all locations, the number that fit was not the number that was originally in the slot. Don't understand that...? Anyway, I had some good guidance not to use the dremel so I left the 7th tumbler out. Put it all back together and it works like a charm!

Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Sweet! And thanks for the follow up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86