My impressions of my Lime Swap Tune

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
So I ended changing out the PCM yesterday, so glad I have 2003, took less than 10 minutes to remove the PCM and put on the Lime-Swap PCM. The problem I had before was throttle response and a slow sluggish shifting transmission. I didn't notice any difference on the throttle maybe feels smoother? I am unsure. The sluggish transmission is almost gone and this is where I can feel it, but I still have that sluggish shifting feel. I was driving back from getting coffee and I could still feel it as it shifted into other gears.

This is my build
My Build.jpg

I got the K&N to clean up the engine bay and maybe try to get a better throttle response. But I feel like this filter doesn't do a thing for it
K&N.jpg

Here the loaner which didn't have the rubber gaskets around the pin areas
Lime Swap.jpg

I am going to be sending Jermey back my PCM, any ideas on some changes I should do to get rid of the last sluggish feeling on the trans?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure the rubber gaskets stay in the connectors.

I don't know what to tell you for the sluggishness. Talk to Jeremy. He might have some ideas since he knows these engines inside out.

CAI's don't do a single thing for performance and may actually make it worse if it's a HAI.

I can beat you on PCM swaps in an easy 2 minutes on my 07. 3 clips and pry from the holder. No tools required :biggrin:

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I emailed Jeremy, am I expecting to much from the Tranny? I feel its one the bad points of the Trailblazer? I cant stand how it shifts with a delay and feels slow. I don't have a heavy foot on the gas, either.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe it needs a shift kit. There's also some internal filter screens in the valve body that may be plugged up. That's what @trailblazer075 found in his.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
My impression of this 2003 transmission is it has always been slow, compared to the newer more modern trannys. Given that is it 2003 tech, how should it feel? Ive been driving around in the trailblazer for 2 years and what I have felt has always been a slow shifting transmission, again not heavy on the foot. This again goes back to feeling I had to push it to gain speed on the freeway, today it didn't feel that way since it was my 1st time on the freeway with the tune. But we shall see tomorrow when I head my normal way to work.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
That's pretty strange, after being in 4 different 360's (each with various mileage), the trannys never seemed "slow" on this platform. If anything, the I6 always seemed to be a bit "sluggish" until a custom tune woke it up. I'm not sure how much this would affected anything, have you had an exhaust test done to see if maybe your cat is starting to become plugged? If the engine is starved for power it might affect the tranny.

Last edited:

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Heres some history I received this Trailblazer with a faulty thermostat and many small stuff that needed to fix, also a bad fuel tank that was leaking. After everything was fixed, the power was there, but the transmission has always been issue with me on how it shifts. Before the tune, when going into gears I could feel the transmission shift and it could feel the delay. After the tune, I would say 80% of that was removed, but I can still feel the delay.

I had the CAT tested about a year ago it was fine, but I had a pesky P0440 code that would not go away, Id rather gut the cat than buy a new one if it is going out. I'll have to see if a shop can test it for me again to see where its at now

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The 4l60 is just a 700r4. They used the same transmission in corvettes and they were good too. I know what you mean about he sluggishness and I bet it's the servos. The tune will only do so much if there are issues inside...

Reactions: Mooseman

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
I'm pretty sure the rubber gaskets stay in the connectors.

Yep! Might want to take a peek and make sure they are still in your connectors. If not just make sure you reinstall when you get your PCM back. It won't hurt anything in the meantime to run without them, but not something you want to do permanently as it does help protect those connections from the elements.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
The loaner didn't have the rubber gaskets, my pcm has them on there. There was an accident which backed up traffic on the freeway today, the Trailblazer felt like crap today. Its staring to get cold in Phoenix now, when I left it was 59 degrees and again the tranny felt so damn slow, I am assuming this is what it does when its not warmed up, I could feel the slow shifting today. The Trailblazer was also vibrating more than usual before warm up and stopped after rpm warm up, I was stuck in traffic for about 30 minutes, just wanted to get out the Trailblazer, not a good drive to work today

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Have an appointment today for cat check, will also tell them about about my P0440 issues that wouldn't go away. I am hoping my cat is bad, otherwise I will be disappointed with the tune

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Have you tried test driving another Trailblazer, as a comparison to see if there is a difference? The transmissions never seemed to be slow on these trucks. A little sloppy perhaps, but the tune always fixed that up. The same transmission is being used in my Avalanche which is a heavier vehicle, but it still gets out of its way with smooth/quick gear changes (more so even now with the tune). Sounds like the issue may lie in your tranny since this doesn't seem to be a very common issue? :confused:

Reactions: xavierny25

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Just got done Cat, Muffler all passed with flying colors. Lucky for me a tech at the muffler shop has a 05 Trailblazer himself who tows a lot, I let take my Trailblazer out for a spin and says that's how my transmission is also, little delay and goes. I think its my dislike how the transmission shifts inti gears that is making me feel no improvement. I'll talk to Jermey again and just caulk it up to how the tranny shifts

Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
That's good news on the cat then! If your TB has lower gears, that could attribute to the slowness too perhaps? I would do as everyone suggested and maybe test out the shift kits that are available online if thats the case. It may not be a "cure all", but it could make it feel more responsive and tolerable.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
That's good news on the cat then! If your TB has lower gears, that could attribute to the slowness too perhaps? I would do as everyone suggested and maybe test out the shift kits that are available online if thats the case. It may not be a "cure all", but it could make it feel more responsive and tolerable.

I honesty don't have time to work on the trailblazer, like it said it got rid of 80% of the shift issues, I'll have to deal with the 20% that's still there

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You could be right about the slow PCM, when we did the sierra (long story) that truck ran like a bat out of hell, shifts were instant throttle response the best I've felt in anything. The only problem was when you floored it the PCM bricked itself. Honestly you came out good in my opinion. :crackup:But that is still the nbs setup so its the same as the 03-06 trucks... Also a 4l80...

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
You could be right about the slow PCM, when we did the sierra (long story) that truck ran like a bat out of hell, shifts were instant throttle response the best I've felt in anything. The only problem was when you floored it the PCM bricked itself. Honestly you came out good in my opinion. :crackup:But that is still the nbs setup so its the same as the 03-06 trucks... Also a 4l80...

I don't know if this is how the tranny is, but even with the tune....morning start ups even after rpm warm up...the tranny or (engine) will act like a slow turtle when I push the pedal, it did yesterday and I push the throttle down to make it move....that annoys the crap out of me

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't know if this is how the tranny is, but even with the tune....morning start ups even after rpm warm up...the tranny or (engine) will act like a slow turtle when I push the pedal, it did yesterday and I push the throttle down to make it move....that annoys the crap out of me
See on mine, shifts when it's cold are extremely crisp and firm and throttle response is better. The best my truck felt all summer was 3 miles from the house when the motor got up to temp and the trans was maybe 85 degrees. Once it warms up it got slower. I know I have some issues and with 180k or something like that on the truck I am not going to complain. But the Sierra was better tune for tune. The newer style pcm in the 06 tbs (05?) Is more tuner friendly and soul probably net better gains but I noticed a huge improvement in my truck with the tune. I also went through pcm of nc as I didn't know about like swap at that time. The 02 envoy on a stock tune is however much more responsive than my truck however I think it doesn't have a pwm tcc lockup anymore. It's too quick to lock up in my opinion for it to be.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
***Updated*** Ive had my tune for over a month now and I just wanted to say, while it got rid of 85% of delay shifting and feeling it shift, I am convinced the transmission is a POS, period. If this is the tranny they put in the vette, I cant see how a vett could be fast with this transmission. I knew it was bad before, but I am still can feel this transmission shift into gears at a slow pace and its just crap. In the morning since its cold now, some days its fine and other days it feel like its lagging. Upon warm up and driving for a while, the transmission is worse, its like sloppy AF, even with the tune. I am still experiencing gas pedal delays, where the throttle doesn't kick in for seconds and the gas pedals is pushed down.

I also wanted to state that the tune would have been $150, had I not contacted Jeremy about his wording on his website about shipping, which he has now removed.

MPG has seem to improved by 1mpg but that still doesn't take away from the issues I am having with this transmission feel. ....the tune I would say is a wash for me....

Reactions: dna59

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Finally... I'm not crazy! I have the same issue with my truck. I got it tuned by PCMofNC and the tune surely made the truck feel better. However, same thing you describe about your trans is what I've been wondering if I'm just getting crazy. Some days it's great and most days it just feels like a turtle shifting. And I know it's not my trans as I got a rebuilt trans with new converter, fluid, filter and trans cooler.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Finally... I'm not crazy! I have the same issue with my truck. I got it tuned by PCMofNC and the tune surely made the truck feel better. However, same thing you describe about your trans is what I've been wondering if I'm just getting crazy. Some days it's great and most days it just feels like a turtle shifting. And I know it's not my trans as I got a rebuilt trans with new converter, fluid, filter and trans cooler.

Thanks for confirming that I myself was not going crazy with this transmission, its the weakest part of the Trailblazer and good to know even if you rebuild it still wont improve it

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Slap in a shift kit.
deal.gif

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I somehow thought that the tune did something similar by bumping up pressures.
It does but shift kit>tune. There is only so much that can be done with tuning before you run out of adjustment with hard parts.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
It does but shift kit>tune. There is only so much that can be done with tuning before you run out of adjustment with hard parts.

I would say that tuning is a waste of money as it only removes 85% of the delay and slow shifting feel. The better choice would be getting the shift kit as they are the same price. I honestly cant tell the difference in throttle response or how this tune has helped my trailblazer other than the 85% removal of trans delay

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am the opposite. I will never own one without a tune. I can feel night and day drivability differences. The throttle response is actually my most noticeable change, more than shifting and I had level two and level three shifting tunes.

I think you are the second unsatisfied with a tune I have seen since 2009.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I would say that tuning is a waste of money as it only removes 85% of the delay and slow shifting feel. The better choice would be getting the shift kit as they are the same price. I honestly cant tell the difference in throttle response or how this tune has helped my trailblazer other than the 85% removal of trans delay
The 06+ is also more tuner friendly I was told. If my trans wasn't effed I would definitely notice the change. However since it acts like I have a stall half the time it's a little sluggy.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I am the opposite. I will never own one without a tune. I can feel night and day drivability differences. The throttle response is actually my most noticeable change, more than shifting and I had level two and level three shifting tunes.

I think you are the second unsatisfied with a tune I have seen since 2009.

I think Little Blazer has it with his comment on 2006+ and models above, I have a 2003 and Dna59 I believe also has a 2003, which in effect render the tune useless on these models, the trans is the weakest link on the Trailblazer without modifying a shift kit, I am under the impression the 06+ models benefit more from the tune. Had I do over I would have gone with the shift kit and not the tune. I wont bother getting a shift kit, at this point I will just deal with the transmission and chalk it up to another annoyance. I would also point that the Tuners maybe aware of this and don't really state it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I mean mine is an 04 so...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@AzTruckGuy , I think your expectations of the tune are too high. If it got rid of 85% of the shifting issues for $100, I'd be happy and you basically didn't have to get your hands dirty. And a tune is not just for the tranny but for the engine as well. Didn't you notice an improvement in other areas?

Nothing is perfect and everything is a compromise. Some things are built-in for comfort, like the PWM torque converter clutch, and longevity, like the torque management. Some others we can't do much about without opening up the tranny and throwing a shift kit at it.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
@AzTruckGuy , I think your expectations of the tune are too high. If it got rid of 85% of the shifting issues for $100, I'd be happy and you basically didn't have to get your hands dirty. And a tune is not just for the tranny but for the engine as well. Didn't you notice an improvement in other areas?

Nothing is perfect and everything is a compromise. Some things are built-in for comfort, like the PWM torque converter clutch, and longevity, like the torque management. Some others we can't do much about without opening up the tranny and throwing a shift kit at it.

85% leaves the 15% of sluggish feel that was "suspposed" to be removed with the tunes that I was stated? Does it run smoother? No. Has it removed the delayed throttle response? No. Has it removed the slow turtle starts at times in the morning? No..Has this 85% improved once the transmission is warmed, no...

These are my impressions and seems other might experience the same...like I said the tune was a wash for me...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fair enough.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This thread has run its course and has been locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.