My AT2 fluid experiment.

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well the wife and kids were gone this week so I did the t stat, greased the rear drive shaft u joints, fixed my AIR solenoid issue and decided to do the t case fluid as it was around the 80,000km mark. Now we have debated AT2 fluid for years on this and other forums. Never really came to any other consensus than: Use the approved AT2 fluid. It is inexpensive, when I changed it out maybe 5 to 6 years ago, 2 liters at the dealer cost me 16$ or so all in. This day and age a few companies have some dedicated t case fluid that meets the AT2 while others have ATF that meets AT2.

After much reading, I never really learned what AT2 actually was, why is it this secret? So I looked at the whole problem as objectively as I could. These systems came out years ago. GM had only a couple options for ATF. Dex 6 (approx. 5 cSt, low viscosity fluid) and the mineral based Dex 3 (approx. 7 cSt higher viscosity). Most everyone was using thicker fluid in the t cases so that left mineral based Dex 3, which apparently did not have the required or sufficient friction modifiers to work with the clutch pack. Who knows why this clutch pack is so special compared to the advanced systems in auto transmissions.. Anyways I began looking at two big names: Amsoil (who I think makes great products with absurd markup) and PetroCan (who are or at some point making various GM branded oils sold at the dealers in Canada). Both have a 7 cSt multi vehicle ATF that meets the AT2 requirement. Now before anyone jumps on me for the "meets" or "suitable for use" and not the licenced or approved caveats, I don't care. You have companies that clearly make licenced quality products but chose not to pay for the stamp. Anyway, PetroCan Duradrive and Amsoil multi vehicle ATF are the ones. Now what makes them special? Both start off with quality synthetic group 3/4 base stocks, which carry inherent viscosity/friction abilities (look at Amsoils HD SAE 30 diesel oil, which without viscosity improvers is able to meet SAE 10w cold flow). I have been using Amsoil LV multi ATF in the Trailblazer's transmission since 2014, 60,000km ago with not one issue but gasp, its not a licenced Dex 6 fluid!!!

So extrapolating from that I had 4 liters left over of my Co-op ATF SL. Its a 7 cSt multi vehicle formula. I had used this in my 2011 Ram 1500, 545RFE trans with great results. It is Canadian made by Co-op out here on the prairies. This company also makes licenced Dexos products so they can make good stuff. So this ATF is group 4 based and meets many of the same applications as the others. So whats the difference? Who really knows, it worked great in an ATF+4 application. I popped 2 liters in the t case, drove it around to get the fluid up to temp and circulated and then did some driving on the grid roads in auto 4wd. Much not to my surprise, the t case engaged as it should. No shuddering or clunking, just positive lockup. I did numerous launches to generate a difference in front/rear wheel spin and the t case did its job.

Now I will keep everyone posted long term. Someone had to be the guinea pig so if it crashes and burns, well, live by the sword.....

Oh and edit: Amsoil, last time I checked was about 15$ a quart before taxes in and around these parts. Duradrive was under 8$ a liter before taxes and the Co-op ATF was just a hair past 9$ a liter all in.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember when my '00 Jimmy used DexIII in the TCase. Only difference was that it didn't have an Auto mode. AT2 may have a friction modifier or something for that mode because of clutch slippage during engagement but "we" (the GMTN population) know not to use that mode.

Generally we do recommend to use the proper fluid regardless but probably for someone "in the know" could use ATF if they have a stockpile of it.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:offtopic:
How is this related to Transfer Case fluid?

Reactions: BrianF

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
A few more hundred Km on it and still good to go. I did get some neapco greaseable U joints in 2014 I believe. The joint closest to the T case is easy to do when timed to face to the ground, the rear most one you have to remove one of the U joint retainer straps. Unbolt one side and loosen the other bolt. You can then move the strap over and this gives access to the zerk. I just have the rear up on ramps, park brake on and its a couple minute job max.

I too am one to recommend proper fluids but found the waters have been muddied, many major companies making multi vehicle fluids, some high viscosity, some LV, some licenced and some suitable for use. Just went through the same thing on my Ram 3500 with the Aisin AS69RC transmission. Dealer wants Mopar ASRC fluid at 17$ a liter, which is rebadged Mobil 3309, which gets rebadged as Toyota T4, which is now superseded by low viscosity Toyota WS. Same cult following saying you cannot deviate. PetroCanada says its Duradrive works and by God it does. Just did its first fluid change. That transmission is worth more than my Tb.

There is always inherent risk to this method but there is inherent risk to doing ones own maintenance regardless. I just hope I can help others look at all the facts and think critically.

Now unfortunately it will take me several years to get 80,000km on the fluid, which I will dump and take a look. While color alone does not condemn a fluid it sure does give an idea of its life.

Reactions: C-ya and Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online